Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Best Film-Tech film/presentation reviewer? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best Film-Tech film/presentation reviewer?
Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 03-29-2006 09:10 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote is for Evil Sam Graham. He's absolutely consistent in his review form, reviews from door in to door out (theatre AND film) and provides great tidbits from the concession stand to squeeky doors to incisive comments, i.e., "The World's Fastest Indian" is sort of like "The Straight Story Starring Crocodile Dundee". If Sam don't give 'em a good review they're probably not worth watching!

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-29-2006 09:35 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's too bad I have to skip over his reviews until after I have seen the movie since he usually has spoiler information in the review. At least he gives a warning about it though.

Nevertheless, if it's a movie I'm interested at all in watching I don't want to see any spoiler information of any kind.

Some people still want to try to give away things in a movie. It doesn't matter how much charisma any person has, they're not going to present the storyline in written or spoken form better than the movie. Even if it's a bad movie. Let me see the show first and then we'll talk about those specific points later.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-29-2006 11:17 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a reviewer says "World's Fastest Indian is about legendary New Zealander Burt Munroe, who tinkers with motorcycles and dreams of taking his custom Indian to the Bonneville salt flats", that hardly seems like a spoiler to me. I used to put a very basic plot summary like that in some of my reviews, and someone accused me of "spoilers". So I stopped doing it.

Here's a spoiler for you: SPOILER ALERT!!!!

"Burt Munroe's American adventures include making friends with a charming transvestite Hollywood motel clerk, bedding an old woman living alone in the desert who lets Munroe use her tools to repair his broken trailer, and finding out he's not eligible to run at Bonneville because he failed to register in advance, but is ultimately allowed to run when he makes friends with influential Americans in charge of the Bonneville event."

I also vote for Evil Sam Graham. [thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-29-2006 11:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a no brainer. The Evil Sam Graham's movie reviews are generally more entertaining than the movies themselves.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2006 11:40 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Phil, Keep them short and simple. I dont want to read a novel, I just want to know how many bare titties you see. [evil]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-29-2006 12:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
If a reviewer says "World's Fastest Indian is about legendary New Zealander Burt Munroe, who tinkers with motorcycles and dreams of taking his custom Indian to the Bonneville salt flats", that hardly seems like a spoiler to me.
No it isn't. But I hope you're not trying to infer that I think merely explaining the premise of a movie is a spoiler.

Sam writes good reviews, but yes he usually includes some spoiler information in his reviews. He is polite enough to provide a spoiler alert notice, which is better than what some others do (they'll just blurt out whatever and its your tough toogies if they ruin something for you).

quote: Brad Miller
The Evil Sam Graham's movie reviews are generally more entertaining than the movies themselves.
In the case of a lot of films that may be true. I have zero plans of seeing a movie like that Larry the Cable Guy thing. So I might just read his review straight away for a good chuckle (that is if he even wastes any of his life watching it). In the case of something like Superman Returns, I may not read reviews from anybody until after I've seen it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-29-2006 12:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people do consider a one-sentence plot summary as a spoiler. [Shrug]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-29-2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy Evil Sam's writings about his theatre experiences more than the actual movie reviews. But he'd get my vote too.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-29-2006 02:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My reviews are the best. However I don't watch many movies. Also I am far more evil than that Sam Graham character. I steal from old people and play soccer with little babies, using them as the ball. Also on holidays when I see people starting to feed money into a parking meter that's free, I just giggle to myself and keep on walking instead of telling them that they don't have to pay. I am truly evil.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2006 03:11 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for Phil as well... Sam's ok, but his reviews seem to suffer from the Harry Knowles "my breakfast toast was crunchy" syndrome, in that 95% of the "review" is about something else other than the movie itself.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 03-29-2006 03:18 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, please don't confuse "evil" with "weird." You are WEIRD, but you give weird a good name. You are also funny but in a funny-not-always-so-funny way......sort of a weird way. And you are almost always weirder and funnier after you've had your daily beating.

Being 65 miles away from another theatre makes it hard to see too many films we don't play at the Nugget. I like to read others' takes on films as it adds to my info as a booker.

And like Mike, I too enjoy the comments, observations and critiques by Evil Sam and Large Ian (and others) regarding in-theatre foibles, fubars and FU's that are reported from toilets to screen and from concessions stands to parking lot. Who knew that movie entertainment wasn't just up on the screen?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-29-2006 04:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because he is bald does NOT make Sam evil! He is just a guy! I bet he even helps others and is generally a nice guy. Unacceptable! Don't make me pull up my review on The Day After Tomorrow.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-29-2006 04:32 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Don't make me pull up my review on The Day After Tomorrow.
Joe pull it up...I want to read it.

Thanks Joe, I appreciate that and agree whole-heartedly with your review. [thumbsup] [beer] [thumbsup]

[ 03-29-2006, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Bob Maar ]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-29-2006 06:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only link to the page, not the exact post. So you'll have to scroll down about 5 posts. Sorry.

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f4/t000778/p3.html

[ 03-29-2006, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-29-2006 08:53 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. You *can't* link directly to the anchor. I wonder when that started.

TESG's reviews kick ass. Especially when I'm familiar with the theater he went to!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: