Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Insensitive 4wd owners

Author Topic: Insensitive 4wd owners
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2006 05:41 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Just returned from another great Saturday night at my local drive-in however I did have one grizzle.

We arrived a good 15-20 minutes before the earlybird kids sessions were due to start to find the lot almost full. There were still a few parking spots up the back but a lot of insensitive 4wd and van owners had parked their vehicles in the middle of the field.

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

This meant that noone wanted to park at the back as their view of the screen would be impeded. Despite this I was able, with some difficulty, to eventually find a spot with an ok view.

Don't get me wrong 4wds are ok, particularly as our drive-in has not yet had the fields sealed with bitumen ( [Smile] ) however unfortunately many of the drivers of these vehicles have got the IQ of their shoe size and are about as as thoughtful as a bull in a china shop.

Have any readers come across any ways drive-in owners can effectively deal with this problem? It struck me that one solution might be to divide the field in two (front and back) with a fence and then use height barriers (like in car parks) to prevent taller vehicles going to the front.

Regards Peter

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-18-2006 08:18 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
U.S. drive in's prohibit vans and large vehicles anywhere except the back row or 2 and the ends of the other rows. A sign is placed at the boxoffice and this is reinforced with a verbal warning that if they park anywhere else, they will have to move or leave. Louis

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-18-2006 11:15 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Berrett
many of the drivers of these vehicles have got the IQ of their shoe size and are about as as thoughtful as a bull in a china shop.
You know what they say. "Big car. Small..." [Wink]

When I was a kid and there still were drive-ins around here, we used to go in my father's Chevy Blazer. We just naturally parked in the back row. Then he would back it in to the space and put the tailgate down. We'd pull out the lawn chairs and stuff. If you got cold you could crawl up inside the truck and snuggle up with a blanket and still be able to watch the movie.

It seems to me that people don't think anymore.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2006 06:20 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The amazing thing, though, is that the number of 'tall' vehicles at the drive-in these days is not minor. I would estimate it between 30-50% last Saturday.

This of course raises a problem - what if you can't fit them all in the back row? I suppose the only solution is to jack the screen up another 40ft higher.

cheers Peter

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2006 07:03 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
stadium seating/parking

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: