Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Can you live without TV? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Can you live without TV?
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-14-2006 01:42 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, of course literally you can. But for those of you who watch 0-30 minutes total a day on average compared to people who end up watching about 3-5 hours a day. I don't care what you watch or what programs or specials non-sense. I'm speaking as just television... either news, cartoons, sports, c-span and from of you having your TV on while you multitask or even just background noise as you sleep. The question is...

How much television do you watch on average a day?...

And from those of you who just NEED to watch something(a show or whatever)... Are you able to spend a week or even a month without watching it? (This is by choice not by schedule conflicts and the like)

And from those who do not watch much at all... how are you able to keep current with news, events, disasters, trends, and etc. And if it takes you two weeks later to find out about "Katrina" that is pretty sad.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2006 02:00 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could live without "cable." I would prefer not to live without a TV SET, however.

I really only watch 3 shows with any regularity:
Letterman, Judge Judy, and 60 Minutes. I tape all of those and watch 'em when I can. (Usually have a backlog built up.)

Sometimes after work (before going to the theatre) my wife and I will watch "Jeopardy" and "Wheel of Fortune." But I probably spend more time watching DVDs at home than I do actual TV.

As for news: I like to check online newspapers. The Orlando Sentinel is my favorite. You can find out FAR more, faster, online than you can watching TV news. I find that when news happens, I usually find out about it on the web before TV has gotten to it. (I guess this is mostly because I don't have TV at my day job.)

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2006 02:22 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not like watching TV, so yes, I can.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2006 02:36 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have done for the last eight months or so, since my set packed up. I may get it repaired or replaced at some point.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-14-2006 04:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a TV at home, and this is a conscious decision - as I deal with moving images all day at work, I like a break from them when I get home. Of course I don't really get one, because I do a lot of video-based work on my PC - editing clips of archive footage for broadcasters, public and education screenings, that sort of thing - as well as watching DVDs that way.

Radio (Britain's main public service broadcasting speech station, Radio Four, has extensive news and current affairs coverage, the only downside being what is in my opinion its very strong political bias), Internet and newspapers are where I generally get my current affairs from. If there's a TV broadcast I really want to see, I can always ask the University library at work to record it for me (we do this for programmes that use any of our footage as a matter of routine), or a friend.

As for Katrina, think I probably found out more about it more quickly through online news sources than if I relied on the TV.

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2006 06:02 AM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im at around 4hrs a day 1hr in the morning before work (bit of a cheer up) then 3 hrs of wind down tv when i get home from work.
I Dont really care what i watch just aslong as it doesnt put me to sleep [Big Grin]
So no i dont think i could go that long without tv [Razz]

Jason Winn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2006 06:38 AM      Profile for Jason Winn   Email Jason Winn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there was no TV, I would die. Seriously, I would just stop living. I don't know what I would do without it. I have lots of shows I love watching, but my favorite is wrestling. Yeah, I'm a huge wrestling smark. I watch it every Monday and Friday. Some shows I might be able to live without, but I don't think I could live without wrestling.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2006 07:41 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have cable. I can only pick up one station, sometimes. The only time I use the TV is to watch the occasional DVD. I also watch Seinfeld and Everyone Loves Raymond on DVD.

So yes, I can live without it. I use the internet, read the paper, and listen to the radio for news, ect.- Matt

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-14-2006 07:58 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a TV. When I want to watch something on TV, I go elsewhere. I don't really have time to watch TV at home and, even if I did, most of the programming doesn't really interest me enough to get a TV set.

At one point, I was randomly selected by the Neilsen ratings people to be one of their "ratings households" (they were looking for someone who didn't have cable and didn't have kids). The Neilsen people were very nice, but they had a difficult time comprehending that someone might not have a TV set. I tried to convince them that my opinion of television was just as valid as anyone else's, but they evidently didn't agree.

As for news, I read the paper and listen to the radio (WBZ and NPR). I don't feel out of touch.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-14-2006 08:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TV, especially sports is generally non-productive time. I watch very little TV but I couldn't live with being aboe to watch "Emeril Live"!

Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-14-2006 08:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted double post.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-14-2006 09:25 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a monitor for my DVD player, and nothing more. If I lived without it, I'd save money on DVD's, sure enough. No broadcast programming. Years ago it may have been consciously decided, but now I don't even think about it enough to say I don't care. I don't get current events from anywhere, although I switch on NPR while I'm driving every now and then.

Who's Katrina? [Wink]

If you HAVE to "keep current" on trends, especially those that "television" is telling you are trendy, then THAT is pretty sad.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 03-14-2006 09:42 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, the TV set in my bedroom doesn't ever get turned off! That's because my boyfriend needs to sleep with music (Usually VH1 Country) and it drives me crazy!

As far as me actually turning the TV on to watch it, it depends on if I'm working that day. Usually if I'm working its between 0-1 hrs and if I'm not its probably closer to 2-3 hrs.

On most days I could live fine and be happy with a good book, but I do like watching my Sex and the City and CSI: Las Vegas. [Smile]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-14-2006 10:13 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch TV very much. "The Sopranos" and "24" are the only TV series I'm currently watching. "24" is the only thing that has me switch from my satellite dish to the outside antenna (my Dish Network thing doesn't have the local channels package on it). I know there's a few other good TV series peppered in with the tide of crappy so-called "reality TV" programs. But I just don't feel like making the effort of following any other shows.

Usually the TV set functions more as background to what I'm doing on the computer. When its on, its usually switched to Comedy Central. Sometimes HBO will be selected.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2006 11:31 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I usually work weekdays, I only get to watch prime time-late night TV & whatever movies are replaying on the weekends. But I could really care less what's on until my roommates leave ESPN or some crime scene investigation show on all day. After they've gone to bed around 10 I'll flip between whatever's on IFC or Comedy Central, until adult swim comes around with my Aqua Teen Hunger Force [Big Grin]

Now's the time of year in MN to sit around home & watch TV.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: