Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Xenon Bulb Inards (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Xenon Bulb Inards
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we have opened the theatre, a couple of people have been saving the two pieces inside the bulb that create the arc.

Are these any special to save? Hazardous? Can someone shed some light [Roll Eyes] on what these are made of?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-12-2006 02:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The anodes (postive ends) are made of tungsten. I believe that they may have some scrap-metal value, but I can't imagine that it's much, unless you have a 30-plex worth of bulbs or IMAX bulbs or something like that.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-12-2006 04:08 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one from an exploded bulb which I use as a paperweight.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-13-2006 07:17 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard that the heavy cathode inside is slightly radioactive, at least on older bulbs.

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2006 08:25 AM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know someone who has access to a Geiger-Müller particle
counter. If I can arrange it, I'll take an old anode from
a 3kW Osram Xenon and see if it has any more radiation than
"background".

Alex.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2006 08:39 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alexander Smith
I know someone who has access to a Geiger-Müller particle counter.
Friends in high places...

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2006 12:02 PM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote: Alexander Smith I know someone who has access to a Geiger-Müller particle counter.

Friends in high places...

No, the lab technician at the local school. :-)

Alex.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-13-2006 12:25 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't small amounts of radioactive thorium sometimes used to improve ignition characteristics by enhancing electron emission? [Confused]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-13-2006 01:25 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like my kids are going to be born with cloven hooves and two heads, then...

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-13-2006 02:17 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SMALL amounts!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-13-2006 03:48 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radioactive thorium was also used in vacuum tube cathodes and gas lantern mantles.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-13-2006 04:10 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually that big and "heavy" electrode in a xenon lamp is the anode and is made of pure tungsten...it is not radioactive and does make a great paperweight. [beer]

The smaller, conical-shaped cathode is also made of tungsten but is "doped" with a small amount (about 2%) radioactive thorium to (as John noted) provide more free electrons and to make the arc start easier.

I wouldn't worry much about the small amount of thorium in a cathode unless you grind/machine it and inhale the dust. Same goes for inhaling welding fumes from electrodes made of thoriated tungsten...although now there are many different non-radioactive materials for welding electrodes.

I'd be more thinking about the radioactive americium in the bazillion ionization-chamber smoke detectors around that many of us sleep under. [Wink]

I wont even mention the radioactive radon gas that seeps into many houses... [Eek!]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2006 07:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is all the do-do on Thorium....... Its used in many surprising ways and it looks like it'll be around a VERY long time......

Thorium

Atomic Number: 90

Atomic Weight: 232.0381

Melting Point: 2023 K (1750°C or 3182°F)

Boiling Point: 5061 K (4788°C or 8650°F)

Density: 11.72 grams per cubic centimeter

Phase at Room Temperature: Solid

Element Classification: Metal

Radioactive

Period Number: 7 Group Number: none Group Name: Actinide

What's in a name? Named for the Scandinavian god of war, Thor.

Say what? Thorium is pronounced as THOR-i-em or as THO-ri-em.

History and Uses:
Thorium was discovered by Jöns Jacob Berzelius, a Swedish chemist, in 1828. He discovered it in a sample of a mineral that was given to him by the Reverend Has Morten Thrane Esmark, who suspected that it contained an unknown substance. Esmark's mineral is now known as thorite (ThSiO4). Thorium makes up about 0.0007% of the earth's crust and is primarily obtained from thorite, thorianite (ThO2) and monazite ((Ce, La, Th, Nd, Y)PO4).

Thorium is used as an alloying agent to improve magnesium's strength at high temperatures. Thorium is also used to coat tungsten filaments used in electronic devices, such at television sets. When bombarded with neutrons, thorium-232 becomes thorium-233, which eventually decays into uranium-233 through a series of beta decays. Uranium-233 is a fissionable material and can be used as a nuclear fuel.

Thorium oxide (ThO2), one of thorium's compounds, has many uses. It is primarily used in a type of lantern mantel known as a Welsbach mantle. This mantle, which also contains about 1% cerium oxide, glows with a bright white light when it is heated in a gas flame. Thorium oxide has a very high melting point, about 3300°C, and is used to make high temperature crucibles. Thorium oxide is also used to make glass with a high index of refraction that is used to make high quality camera lenses. Thorium oxide is used as a catalyst in the production of sulfuric acid (H2SO4), in the cracking of petroleum products and in the conversion of ammonia (NH3) to nitric acid (HNO3).

Thorium's most stable isotope, thorium-232, has a half-life of about 14,050,000,000 years. It decays into radium-228 through alpha decay or decays through spontaneous fission.

Estimated Crustal Abundance: 9.6 milligrams per kilogram

Estimated Oceanic Abundance: 1×10-6 milligrams per liter

Number of Stable Isotopes: 0 (View all isotope data)

Ionization Energy: 6.08 eV

Oxidation State: +4

Electron Shell Configuration: 1s2
2s2 2p6
3s2 3p6 3d10
4s2 4p6 4d10 4f14
5s2 5p6 5d10
6s2 6p6 6d2
7s2

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-14-2006 04:22 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
I wouldn't worry much about the small amount of thorium in a cathode unless you grind/machine it and inhale the dust.
I can think of some, more, err, exciting solids to grind up and then inhale - not that I'm speaking from personal experience, of course!

Incidentally, uranium sulphate was used as a tinting dye for silent prints. A friend at the BFI said that some 1920s elements can get a Geiger counter quite lively.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2006 03:22 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You've obviously never heard of cobalt thorium G.

Cobalt thorium G has a radioactive halflife of ninety three years. If you take, say, fifty H-bombs in the hundred megaton range and jacket them with cobalt thorium G, when they are exploded they will produce a doomsday shroud. A lethal cloud of radioactivity which will encircle the earth for ninety three years!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: