Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Academy Awards 2006 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Academy Awards 2006
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-05-2006 10:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that was forgetful! [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2006 10:37 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Reese Witherspoon was thanking everyone that had ever come into contact with a member of her family, I could just imaging what was going across the prompter:

>10 seconds
>Wrap it up
>Wrap it please
>FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WRAP IT UP!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2006 10:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The High Definition was respectably good this year. I will remember that part of it.

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2006 10:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only watched the last part of it, and while the HD picture was pretty good, the Dolby Digital EX HD TRU X-TREME MACH 5 sound sucked ass! The movie clips leaned to the right side, and they forgot to turn on the left surround. Lots of clapping through the right surround, though (and sometimes none up front). Whoever was responsible for the sound deserves a nasty sunburn in the face and the resulting skin cancer.

I muted Reese Witherspoon after about 5 seconds (as I did with everyone, because who cares what they have to say? Seriously! These are actors, not human beings). I saw her there ramble on and and and on. Her face is now burned into my CRT TV, but her ever-moving lips sure aren't!

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-05-2006 10:56 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, was that tonight? [Roll Eyes]

Edit: Okay, I guess it was. I strike my earlier comment in the 2006 nominee thread wherein I stated my status as Not Giving A Crap. I revise my position by saying I'm very pleased that Wallace & Gromit took the Animated Feature. Take THAT, Burton!

I just saw Walk The Line last night, and while I cannot confirm or deny Witherspoon's "rightful" claim to the prize, she was darn cute in that film, the whole darned time! The southern twang in 'er voice came off caricaturish more times than not, but it fit her personality.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-05-2006 11:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well that was forgetful!
I thought it was more "forgettable." [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2006 11:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never heard of "Crash" until yesterday. In fact "Brokeback Mountain" was the only nominee that I had ever heard of ever. What a crappy selection! Movies I have not heard of do not deserve to be nominated for anything. When that John Woo guy won for best director I couldn't believe it. That guy has never made a good movie. That Crouching Tiger shit was one of the worst pieces of crap I'd ever seen. I hate him. How can the actors understand him when he is trying to direct? I suppose they just guess as to what they should be doing, yet Woo gets all of the credit since he is the director, technically.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-05-2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree, this was a sub-par year -at least in terms of the quality of the actual Oscars telecast. I think Jon Stewart did a better job hosting than Chris Rock or David Letterman (and the intro showing all the previous hosts declining the job was really funny); however, Jon wasn't quite at the top of his game. The material was a bit watered down for safety. And the audience had a collective stick up its ass. So even some of the good jokes fell flat.

While the group of honored films had a collectively more political tone, they all sort of had a blah kind of feel as well. It sure wasn't a Titanic versus L.A. Confidential kind of thing.

Most of the results on Oscar winners were extremely predictable. When the Oscars are preceeded by the DGA awards, SAG awards and other ceremonies by the time the Oscars roll around you already know who is going to win.

However, I was pretty surprised Crash took the Best Picture honor instead of Brokeback Mountain.

It was pretty funny when the rap group (whoever they were, I forget) won the Best Song Oscar. They're rappers. They talk fast. They rhyme. But dammit, their acceptance speech was gibberish. Just unintelligible rambling with marbles in the mouths.

quote: Joe Redifer
When that John Woo guy won for best director I couldn't believe it. That guy has never made a good movie.
I'm not a big Ang Lee fan. But he's a damned sight better than John Woo. I don't get the fascination with the whole John Woo action movie style. Just my opinion, but I think it's bullshit filmmaking. Calling Ang Lee a name like John Woo is quite the put down! Hehe.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2006 11:31 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I promise that if, for some reason, I win an Oscar, I'm going to thank all the people who have/are working at a movie theater.

But other than that.... [sleep]

The girl who won for best make-up for Narnia is from my home town, Peoria IL.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2006 11:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah. Angry Lee. How the hell am I supposed to know? It is far easier to stereotype all bad Asian directors into a simple John Woo (since he is king of Asia). Didn't he also direct some crap movie about women who get along, then they get into a tipsy fit, and then they get along again? What a great director.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-05-2006 11:52 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-06-2006 12:04 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big surprise out of the whole thing was Crash winning best picture. I even think Jack was surprised. I have to say though I liked that movie when I saw it way back last summer sometime there bouts.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-06-2006 12:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, we can put the "BB" thing behind us and it will soon all but be forgotten.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-06-2006 12:23 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad it didn't take long to end.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2006 02:13 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not watch the Awards at all. The only thing that interested me was the Memorial Tribute that I just happened to catch as I was flipping channels.

Unless I missed something all together, Al Lewis, Darren McGavin, Don Knotts and Dennis Weaver were not mentioned.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: