Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Classics on the Big screen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Classics on the Big screen
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2006 10:53 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Continental in Denver is showing some popular older flicks on the Big Screen. It's been my experience (sadly) that rep screenings tend to be on small screens with poor sound.

These films are on the biggest indoor screen I've ever seen (I'm told it's 78'x 35'), and they are at 9pm on Wednesdays, rather than the common (sometimes inconvenient) midnight.

I'm not affiliated with the Continental in any way; I'm just a fan. I might even have an excuse to be in Denver to catch Jaws!

Here's the lineup:
03/08 Raiders of the Lost Ark
03/15 Terminator 2
03/22 Grease
03/29 Fight Club
04/05 Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
04/12 Jaws
04/19 Pink Floyd: The Wall
(Double-check dates & showtimes in case I got anything wrong.)

I'm a long time reader of Film-Tech and a first-time poster. I wanted to share this info with anyone who is interested. I appreciate the good efforts by you folks to keep Film Done Right.

I realize that there are lots of roadblocks (print availability, marketing, etc), but sometimes I wonder if classic movies might be one way to keep cinemas going. After all, aren't most of the folks spending tens of thousands on plasmas & surround sound doing it because they want to see their favorite movies with big picture and sound?

Cheers,
Geoff Jones

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2006 10:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I'd bet that many of those prints will have been through the thrashing machine already and look horrible. IMHO D-Cinema will be the best way to see Classic Films and Cartoons since the image will always be pristine.

Mark

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-04-2006 10:50 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've played all of these in the last 18 mos. Fear & Loathing, & The Wall have fairly new prints. Raiders was Ok. Raiders, Fight Club, and Fear & Loathing do well. The rest brought less than 100.

[ 02-19-2009, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-04-2006 02:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard that the Continental was one of the first places to use the experimental CD sound - a digital track on 70mm without an optical/magnetic backup track. Heard that they were playing "T-2" and the sound died in the middle of the performance.

...just miss the Cooper though.

Cooper-Hyland...what a company....

-Monte

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 02:37 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema Digital Sound
Films presented in Cinema Digital Sound

Cinemas equipped with Cinema Digital Sound

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2006 02:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Heard that the Continental was one of the first places to use the experimental CD sound - a digital track on 70mm without an optical/magnetic backup track. Heard that they were playing "T-2" and the sound died in the middle of the performance.

There are many funy stories of CDS either not working on opening night or failing to work or what ever... But it was still a dam good sounding system.

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-04-2006 03:13 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one and only CDS presentation I saw was "Dick Tracy" in 70mm CDS at the Edwards Big Newport. There were no technical problems with that show and it sounded awesome.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2006 12:36 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had good luck in the past showing MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL. They had a re-release a couple of years ago and made some new prints that wres till in good shape.

Had good luck with Fight Club as well...and Kubrick stuff like The Shining and A Clockwork Orange.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-05-2006 09:40 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CDS is essentially SDDS...same camera Louis

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2006 03:35 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had good luck in the past showing MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL. They had a re-release a couple of years ago and made some new prints that wres till in good shape.

Not any more...

We played this last year at the Loews Jersey. The 1st print they sent us was trashed, and the replacment was not much better.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2006 08:40 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
There are many funy stories of CDS either not working on opening night or failing to work or what ever... But it was still a dam good sounding system.
Perhaps the most significant failure occured during an opening-weekend screening of "Days Of Thunder" in Corte Madera, California. Now, call me a conspiracy theorist if you wish, but Corte Madera is just a short drive across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco. San Francisco is the U.S. headquarters of Dolby Labs. You can figure out the rest...

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2006 05:39 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet the helicopters are blasting Mike's house with searchlights right now.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to catch JAWS on a spring break trip to Denver and had a blast. Here's a review (SPOILERS):

The SERIES:
They are doing an awesome job promoting their "Flashback Features" series. There are posters in the lobby that detail the series and call out the fact that it's on a "Giant Screen." There was a one-sheet for an upcoming flim (ALIEN) and they even had an official auditorium lable for JAWS.

They had a nicely done video showcasing the series before the film. I hope they are showing this video before their regular features as well.

The manager spoke beforehand and said that the series has been a huge success. He outlined the fall series. (GOONIES, BACK TO THE FUTURE, A MONTY PYTHON, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, TEMPLE OF DOOM, STAR TREK 3, and several others.) He also invited the audience to vote in the lobby for a final choice, between 3 nominees.)

There was a large crowd. I'm not great at estimates, but I'd say more than 500 people. I heard the manager comment afterwards that RAIDERS was still their biggest hit. The crowd was well behaved and added to the experience.

The PRINT:
The print was terrific. There were a few specs of dirt at the reel changes and a thin black line for a few minutes, but overall, I was very pleased.

It was not based on the 25th Anniversary DVD, which had altered sound effects. In fact, the Universal Logos & old theme park ad at the end made it seem like it was struck from the 1975 negative.

The sound was the original Mono.

The PESENTATION:
The image was bright, sharply focused and steady, which is always impressive on such a giant screen.

On the downside, the image was too big. It was projected past the edges of the screen. This was especially bad at the top, and drew attention to the fact that Spielberg & Butler really used the top of the frame. In several scenes, the tops of heads were cut off (and projected on the masking).

Additionally, the sound was too loud. It was shrill & distorted at times, and had my ears ringing. It may have been that they were trying to make up for the Mono mix and fill such a large room, but it was disappointing. I was sitting 7th row center; I can't say how it sounded farther back.

The FILM:
Jaws really stood up. The audience seemed to have a great time, laughing at lots of great lines from Quint and Hooper, and shrieking at the movie's biggest scares.

Quint's death got a big reaction; I heard gasps from people around me. I believe if you watch the scene on a small screen, your eyes take everything in at once and the phoniness of the mechanical shark is unavoidable. But on a giant screen, the image is overwhelming. Your eyes move around to take in different details, and the net result is much more impactful.

All in all, I had a great time. I wish there were more great screens like the big one at the Continental, and I wish the ones that do still exist would run series like this one.

Geoff

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-16-2006 10:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JAWS is the perfect big screen movie and deserves its classic status. I'd love to see it on the big screen again. You are right, TV does not do it justice.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-18-2009 09:06 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1038 days since the last post.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: