Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cashing In On Classic Hi-Fi

Author Topic: Cashing In On Classic Hi-Fi
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-03-2006 07:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its about time that someone wrote an article about this for the general public...... He's a little off on the Marantz tuner though... they go for about 2500 to 3K to start so 5 to 6 times the original price is reasonable.

Mark

Link To Article

Buried treasures: Cashing in on classic hi-fi
Gear gathering dust in your closet could be worth a fortune

Do you have one gathering dust in a closet? Or maybe on a shelf? Could it be in the basement or attic? You might even have some lurking out in the garage. I’m talking about vintage hi-fi.

Call it used, refurbished or classic equipment, but you may be sitting on a small fortune.

There’s a possibility that the old stereo gear you bought or acquired from the 80’s — or 70’s, or possibly even the 50’s or 60’s — may be back in style with a vengeance.

Forget about old TVs. They drop in value quickly. Hi-fi gear is a hot commodity these days. Not all older hi-fi is worth a lot of money. But some pieces are nearly worth their weight in gold. It depends on many factors — especially how good it was when it was brand new. And there’s the collector’s factor. But first, let me offer some background.

Before the Internet, classified ads in local newspapers and local neighborhood hi-fi shops were the main outlets for buying and selling older equipment. Most of the time, gear was traded-in when it was time to buy new and improved stuff.

Every big city probably had at least one store that had a booming business in used hi-fi. It was likely a place you could hear what something sounded like before buying it. Here in New York, I used to do a lot of bartering at Stereo Exchange. I got some really classic stuff there.

Quad ESK-57 Hotline
This odd-looking loudspeaker is a Quad ESL-57 (1957-85). One magazine calls it the greatest piece of hi-fi ever. There are dozens of Web sites dedicated to this unusual looking device.

A few years ago I went back to try to find a particular pair of speakers and the owner looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language. “We don’t deal with used equipment anymore. The Internet killed that business.” I walked out nearly in tears.

Luckily, a few weeks later, on a business trip to Seattle, I walked into Hawthorne Stereo. I felt right at home. There was a giant room with shelves jammed full of interesting stereo gear. The establishment’s owner actually moved a pair of very heavy speakers into his main listening room and let me listen to them on modern-day equipment — some pieces costing $10,000 or more. I didn’t buy anything, but I appreciated the treatment.

There are still some retailers that deal in classic equipment, like Audio Classics in Vestal (Binghamton), New York. But similar businesses are now hard to find. The vintage hi-fi business has moved nearly completely to the Internet.

The largest online area for used hi-fi is eBay. No matter how old or esoteric, odds are that you will find the item you’re looking for listed on eBay. Maybe not on your first try — but if you persist you’ll find it before you know it.

EBay hi-fi shopping can be both a bad and good experience. As with any form of bartering, the quality of your experience depends a lot on the honesty of the seller. Sellers also complain about some buyers.

As for buyers, with eBay you usually have to believe the seller’s description of the item. You can’t see and hear it in person like the good old days. You also have to hope they know how to pack the gear. I’ve won eBay auctions only to have the gear destroyed during shipping. Sometimes you’ll see the words "original boxes" in a listing. That’s a good thing for delicate hi-fi gear.

The selection of goods available on eBay is much better than in any used hi-fi store on the planet. That’s because people all over the world are listing their goods on eBay. If you know what you’re looking for there’s a good possibility that you can find it online for a good price.

EBay may have the largest selection, but other sites, like www.audiogon.com, sometimes have a better selection of higher-priced gear. Other Web sites also deal with hi-fi bartering and a quick Web search can help you find one to try.

What's your stuff worth?
If you’re interested in selling your old stereo equipment, remember, they aren’t all worth lots of money. As a general rule, most transistorized equipment — mainly receivers from the 70’s and 80’s — are not worth as much as you'd like them to be. Tube gear generally is in great demand by aficionados and collectors and can sell for the big bucks.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. Some tube stuff never sounded all that good when they were brand new. Those pieces aren’t worth a lot today.

Some transistorized gear sounded and sounds amazing and, therefore, are worth a small fortune.

Some things to remember: Cassette decks haven’t really held their own. Pre-recorded cassettes aren’t popular anymore. Same for reel-to-reel tape recorders. On the other hand, quality FM tuners are surprisingly popular online. And quality used turntables are also very big sellers these days.

Do your homework
How do you know if your particular items are worth anything? The best way is to due your homework online. Search eBay, Audiogon and other audio sales Web sites for similar items. You’ll get a rough idea of what people are charging and what they’re buying. Adjustments may have to be made for the item’s condition. Both buyers and sellers can determine fair prices this way.

Vinyl Hotline
A Systemdek circa 1980. Some vintage turntables from the 50's and 60's sell for hundreds, even thousands, of dollars.

As for shipping and handling, remember it was and is delicate, precision gear that someone thought enough of to hold on to. Some of it weighs a ton. Whether you’re buying or selling, make sure the item is properly packed and insured for shipping.

One very important caveat: this stuff is old electronic equipment and may need some professional help. Be prepared, especially with older equipment (30 years plus), to have an expert check it out to make sure everything is up to spec. Get it checked before you plug it into a wall socket to avoid major problems.

For the record, I’ve bought and sold a number of items online and for the most part I’ve been very pleased with my experiences.

This column actually started as a conversation with my boss. I told him about the thriving marketplace. And he told me about his classic Systemdek turntable sitting in a box in his basement. When we checked, he found out that it’s worth a whole lot more than he ever thought. Who knows what you might find.

© 2006 MSNBC Interactive

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-04-2006 05:16 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Article posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
I’ve won eBay auctions only to have the gear destroyed during shipping. Sometimes you’ll see the words "original boxes" in a listing. That’s a good thing for delicate hi-fi gear.
The only piece of hi-fi gear I've bought on eBay was a spectacular bargain, precisely because of this issue. It was a Goldring Lenco GL-78 turntable in perfect nick (including a new idler wheel fitted two years previously) from a private seller in the west of England, who advertised it as 'buyer collects only'. Because of the issues involved in disassembling one of these turntables for shipping, he wasn't willing to go there. As luck would have it, I was making a drive down south a few weeks later, which took me past his town anyway: so I bidded for it, and for £48 got a piece of kit which originally sold for £350 at 1970s prices!

I was only the second bidder, I suspect because many people who might have gone for it weren't able to collect the thing. I've transferred countless 78s and LPs using it since (connected to phono stage of amplifier for LPs, mic input on PC sound card for 78s, to bypass the RIAA curve).

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, I have one of those turntables in need of an idler wheel, if you've any idea where to get one, I'd appreciate the knowledge.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-05-2006 03:19 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Same for reel-to-reel tape recorders.
.. unless, you have a Technics, Tascam, Studers. ReVox, Pioneer, or AMPEX 10 inch machines floating around..for these units, being 20 to 30 plus year old machines (and tube driven) can still demand a pretty penny for the audiophiles that demand the good ol warm analog sound - just like with a good turntable that has a moving magnet cartridge, 10+lb belt driven turntable, air bearing tonearms connected by the sweetest tube preamp there could be...feeding into a pair of McIntosh amplifiers (or a Krell). - Monte

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-05-2006 04:23 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or Tandberg or Otari too. Used to own a Tandberg 1/4" machine for mastering to 2-track. And a Teac 3340S for 4-track mixdown and for driving multi-projector slide shows... Good God remember those? [Smile] Used to work with Otari 1/2" 2- and 4-track machines but never got to own one.

Still have some stuff that would probably sell well. None of it really high-end though - it was a kinda best bang for the buck sorta thing. Even though I don't use much of it anymore, I'm not quite ready to give up on it. Maybe someday when I have a place of my own again I can set it all back up:

Sonograph SG-3 belt-drive turntable
Eminent Technology ET-II air-bearing tonearm
Dynavector 17RS moving-coil cartridge w/diamond micro-ridge stylus
Shure V15-VMR cartridge
Promethean Green (a reworked Grado) cartridge
Sony TA-E86B preamp
Yamaha TX-950 tuner
Quasar MD500 laser disc/CD player
Nakamichi 581 cassette deck
VSP Labs Transmos 150 power amplifier
Amber Series 70 power amplifier
Fourier 6 speakers
Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Actually I still do use the little Fourier 6's and the Sony and VSP amps once in a while, like later this month when I'll be giving a talk and using these for track playback. And I still use the Sennheiser headphones, if only to listen to the crappy audio out of my PC.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-05-2006 05:07 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pete Naples
Leo, I have one of those turntables in need of an idler wheel, if you've any idea where to get one, I'd appreciate the knowledge.
According to this page (found through Google), G-L spares can be bought from Technical and General, PO Box 53, Crowborough, East Sussex, TN6 2BY, Tel. 01892 654534.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2006 10:56 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You sir, are a gent. There's been a wee bit of pressure applied to get this working, a local museam approached me about an exhibition they are putting on, in which they want to play some music from local artists, which is all on 78's. Now I know that deck can do 78 no problem, I have the relevant styli, and a pre-amp stage that I can defeat the RIAA curve on, however I tried some 33 1/3s on it and it's rumbling like a good un. I haven't used it for yonks, as I've got a Linn and a Rega Planar which I use day to day. The Linn might be capable of 78rpm but I don't have appropriate cartridge or styli for it, and I dread to think what they would cost [Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: