Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Industry Standards in radio? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Industry Standards in radio?
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-01-2006 08:47 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to send some audio files to a guy at a radio station. He is going to make them into a radio commercial.

I made them into .aiff files, sampled at 44 kHz. then posted them on my webspace for him do download.

I get a call, this morning stating that the guy can't open the files. He tells me he wants me to re-encode them as MP3s. I explained that I made them into .aiff files because they have the highest quality out of all the formats I have available.

His answer to me was, "Yes, but MP3 is the industry standard..."

I call, "BULLSHIT!"...

Comments, please...

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-01-2006 08:52 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The guy is right. In fact, the broadcast industry probably has NO standards now. Some cling to the past(tape, reels, carts, DA-88,etc) , some mail media, some email MP3.

This is why the "digital AM & FM will fail," Bad programming, no creativity and also no audio quality.

I had better sound in 1977 on regular FM that I can receiver right now. Too bad. (XM rules)(Sure makes you appreciate that 35mm film standard.) Louis

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2006 10:58 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AM news station I interned at while at the money pit that is Brown Institute used mostly mp3's as well. They were only picky on the modulation of the file & how fast you burned it to a CD, if applicable. They also loved to use minimal bitrates, 96 kbps was the average file. [Mad]

Brown taught using Adobe Audition & Scott Studio media server systems. We only used carts during our first semesters. Beyond collegiate social problems, I was constantly frustrated by the school's teaching style. The school recruited so many people that had no technical know-how & the studio classes felt catered to them, anyone with any brains about a soundboard & entertaining content had to wait for the others to learn basic typing & math. Needless to say, most of those types interned at Clear Channel owned top-40 stations.

I was really engaged working in a news format, but I'm turing more towards broadcast engineering nowadays. Too broke to make the move to a job like that, tho. [Frown]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-01-2006 12:58 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a good move, Steve. That job doesn't pay much these days.

I'm shocked to hear stations settling for mp3's, although I probably shouldn't be surprised. I made a trailer for Clear Channel stations a couple of years ago, and I told them I needed their v/o audio recorded as a 48KHz .wav or .aiff file... they didn't know what to do! They also kept sending me 44KHz files, so I finally gave up and just up-converted it (yuck!).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2006 02:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You can hear the compression on many stations as it is right now. What's really driving me away from radio these days is the horrible processing they are putting their content through, all in the name of "we're louder". [Roll Eyes]

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2006 02:51 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
all in the name of "we're louder".

Which translates into were more distorted

Chris Greenwell
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2006 03:23 PM      Profile for Chris Greenwell   Email Chris Greenwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that is how 95% of our spots come in is via email (mp3), I havent seen a reel in at least two - three years. But yes the sound quality does suck on some of them, and some of the stations here in salt lake do compress the hell out of there audio, if you watch them on the modulation meters its stuck at one spot. but the station engineer where I work is for sound quality more than being loud, but were still loud and got some dynamics.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2006 03:53 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like the internet is more of a threat to the radio industry than the net is to theatres, yet both face similar trouble with standards & obligations.

I'm an XM subscriber & the friend I live with has Sirius, both are great services. XM had some compression issues after its startup. From what I read on the XM forums, it was due to all the new channels they added at once, but it's recovered and still beats the hell out of FM. A former assistant manager I worked with at Lakeville was part of XM's Minneapolis traffic report launch. She would email reports during drive time on some timed basis.

If I had started school a semester earlier, I would have had the opportunity to work for 89.3 FM, Minnesota NPR's newer music station. They are member-supported music from all genres, uncut with many rare recordings, NPR music programs & commentary from jocks that are more inviting & sponsor-friendly than any of the other shit on air in town. Naturally, they were warmly received in a place like Minneapolis & have seen great promotional success. Aside from that station, the others either play off the fact that they're not Clear Channel to drive ratings, or they're a CC station & they use all those billboards around town to show it.

Quote Hunter S. Thompson:
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 04:23 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clear Channel seems to also enjoy using Windows Media for their spots. I can hear the differences between MP3, Real Media, and Windows Media at low bitrates, and it makes me cringe when I hear a snipe on the radio that, I swear to God, must have been recorded with WMA7 at 16kbps & 16kHz (in laymans terms, artifacts/noise like you wouldn't believe). Then immediately afterward, they jump to regular programming, making the horrible quality of the snipe stand out.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-04-2006 09:28 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when "Broadcast Quality" was a compliment? Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2006 01:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Remember when "Broadcast Quality" was a compliment? Louis

It is really sad to see all this happen in a day and age when the transmitters are actually alot better than they ever have been. Good solid state transmitters are one reason you are hearing all the compression artifacts better than ever. The downturn of radio is a role model for the demise of film.

Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-04-2006 09:20 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, bascally, his answer, "Yes, but MP3 is the industry standard...", translates to, "I don't know and I'm too stupid to know the difference." ??

...Depressing...
[Frown]

And, is all of this why I can hear distortion in the background of certain radio programs that sounds sort of like a computer modem? They are compressing the hell out of the audio to send it from place to place and the CODEC they use is producing the distortion as an artifact?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-04-2006 09:45 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eugene's dinosaur-rock station KZEL (owned by Cumulus Media) plays some commercials that sound absolutely awful. The worst is one for a jewelry store that's horribly distorted. Apparently the station has no technical standards whatsoever for what they'll accept from an advertiser (or advertising agency). Another ad has a very low-frequency rumble in it that drives my home theater subwoofer crazy.

What's really annoying is sometimes their computer-stored version of a song that's in heavy rotation is chopped off before it's actually over. Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle" is an example. The last 30 seconds or so is cut off and they keep playing it that way. Their explanaion is "It's the computer". Duh, it's not the computer, it's the person who made the MP3 file or whatever the hell it is they play.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 10:08 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The local radio station where I record my ads for the theater uses Adobe Audition formatted to WAV files. The spots produced locally sound very good, but many of the agency spots that are sent to the station are low bitrate MP3's and you can really tell the difference on the air.

quote: Steve Scott
I'm an XM subscriber & the friend I live with has Sirius, both are great services. XM had some compression issues after its startup.
I'm a Sirius subscriber and have been very disapointed with the sound quality. The only reason I've got Sirius is because relatives gave it to me for christmas. All the music programing sounds like really low bitrate MP3's, and the voice only programing sounds even worse. Do any of you have the same feelings about Sirius? I wonder if I've got a bad receiver (Sporster), or if the sound of this service is really this bad. I find myself turning Sirius off and listening to FM because I can't handle the smeary highs and total lack of bass.
Steve

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 10:11 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, the automated music storage systems have configurable cues for crossfading or cold-cutting. Somebody at that station was probably never trained, isn't authorized or is too busy selling commercial spots to change it. Like a projectionist lazily applying cues.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: