Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Favorite Recepies Or Dishs you Love..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Favorite Recepies Or Dishs you Love.....
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-01-2006 06:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all the gross food being bought up in the visiting Los Angeles Thread I thought it appropriate to mention what really good food, recepies or dishes you enjoy eating.....

Mine would be first and formost any Cajun dish made.... If you haven't been to the south and eaten real Cajun stuff you haven't ever had "real food"!!

Two of my absolute favorites are Pork Chops with Sweet Potato Gravy over Grits, and just about any seafood based Gumbo.

Here's a real easy to make dinner thats adsolutely delicious! Use only the freshest ingredients you can buy! (er... that means nothing out of a bottle!)

Honey-Butter Baked Chicken with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2005

1 (3 to 3 1/2-pound) whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
6 tablespoons honey
1 lemon, zested
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon room temperature unsalted butter
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
Mashed Sweet Potatoes, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange a rack inside a large roasting pan and set aside.
Season the chicken both inside and out with the kosher salt and black pepper.

In a small bowl, combine the honey, lemon zest and juice and butter. Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan breast side up and roast until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Using a pastry brush, brush half of the honey mixture over the chicken, as well as sprinkling half the thyme over the chicken and return the chicken to the oven. Continue to cook another 30 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 180 degrees F. Remove the chicken from the oven and brush the remaining honey blend and sprinkle the remainder of the thyme over the chicken.

Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer to a platter or cutting board to rest for 10 minutes before carving.

To serve, spoon the sweet potatoes into the center of 4 large plates and arrange the chicken on top. Drizzle the chicken with any remaining pan juices and serve immediately with the sweet potatoes.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
2 pounds sweet potatoes
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons cane or maple syrup
Pinch salt and pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the potatoes on a foil lined baking sheet and bake until tender and begins to ooze sugary syrup, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle.

Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh with a spoon into a large bowl. Add the cream, sugar, butter, syrup, salt and pepper, and thyme, if using and mix, mashing until the potato mixture is smooth. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve.

Sweet potatoes definately rule!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-01-2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an excellent topic!

My absolute favorite: Cincinnati-style (aka, "Skyline") chili. On spaghetti, with cheddar cheese. Excellent as a hot dog chili, too. I have a version of the classic "secret" recipe that I used to make, but now I just use the knock-off packets. Quicker, easier, cheaper. Just follow the directions on the package. Takes about 2 hours to make a 1.5 lb. batch.

-

This is Kroger's in-house brand and it is virtually identical to the traditional Skyline/Empress recipe. I love it. You can even order it on Amazon, although I try to stock-up whenever I go some place that has a Kroger store. Last time I was in Kentucky, we cleaned out the one by my Dad's place... 42 packages!

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1 bowl and 1 spoon
pour Honeycomb cereal into bowl
add milk

I'd be a bad wife because I can't cook worth a crap.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-01-2006 01:03 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allison! Hahahahaaa! That's funny! [Big Grin]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2006 02:25 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having barely the budget for a decent big meal, I love to settle for a good sandwich. The tavern next to St. Anthony Main builds a great Ruben & the cafe further down the block makes a fragrant grilled vegetable sandwich, served on a baguette with a side of fresh Romaine & vinegarette. I make Tuna and chicken salad spreads at home, mixing basil & lemon seasonings, Frank's Red Hot sauce & liberally crushed oyster crackers along with Miracle Whip. Rye bread preferred, but usually regular wheat. That's as upscale as I can feel while eating at home. [Smile]

If I'm playing take-out king, a good plate of Kung Pao Chicken does nicely with steamed dumplings & hot oil.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-01-2006 05:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bacon, a whole damn plate of it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-01-2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
If you think our Bacon is good you need to try Pancetta ... the Italian version. Its sooooo much better then even the best meat market bacon. You can get it at that Italian Food store down the street from your theatre..... or next time you come to SLC from Granato's
Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-01-2006 07:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..I can see why Mark likes Granatos' Import. - not to far from where he works and it's on the way home.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-01-2006 08:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allison said "I'd be a bad wife because I can't cook worth a crap."
Don't worry I am sure you make it up other ways [Smile]
Anyway many men enjoy cooking
I find it one the best stress relievers in my day

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2006 01:35 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allison, my last serious girlfriend could only cook ramen noodles.
It's okay.

I don't really have any recipes to share since I cook by taste rather than measure. But I will offer this:
If you make salsa of any kind do it with fresh ingredients whenever possible. It's an orgy of flavor unlike anything else.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-02-2006 01:58 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
SLC = YAWN...

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2006 02:16 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dominic Espinosa
Allison, my last serious girlfriend could only cook ramen noodles.It's okay.
Those I can make! Seriously, I'm not a vegetarian, but I do sometimes make a eggplant/fried tofu stir fry. Just chop up some eggplant, get some pre-fried (key word: FRIED, not the 'raw' stuff) tofu and a wok.

Put some oil, all that stuff, chopped up green onion, throw some soy and housin(sp)sauce in with some garlic and fry it up for about 10 min. I love the stuff. mmmmmm.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2006 02:30 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mother used to make the following and I still do occasionally.

1. Take a can of tomato soup, add milk & some water

2. Boil up some noodles in hot water (the ones like little pipes that are not long) till al dente

3. Mix noodles with soup/milk/water mixture

4. Add grated tasty cheese into mixture if you like at this point.

5. Tuna can also be added optionally.

6. Put mixture in baking dish

Grate Tasty cheese on top

Bake

Eat - YUM!

cheers Peter

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2006 10:26 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burnt Cheese Sandwhiches:

1 slice of bread, 1 slice of cheese on a cookie sheet in the oven, on the top rack - set to BROIL.

After about 2 minutes, the cheese will start to puff up like a dome. The longer it stays in the oven, the darker or blacker the cheese dome becomes. Take it out of the oven before the bread burns. If the dome is blackened.. eat it anyway, it's the best part.
Putting a slice of ham and a ring or two of onion under the cheese is pretty good too.

You get creative when you're a teeneager who doesn't know how to cook. 20 years later, I'm feeding them to my kids! [Big Grin]

My five year old helps me make them and he'll be the first to say.. "Dad, the cheese is smoking!!"

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"pancakes"

1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup cottage cheese (any kind will do but I use 1%)
1 whole egg 3 egg whites
A few shakes of cinnamon

Blend all ingredients in a blender until it has the consistency of normal pancake batter. Be sure not to put the oatmeal in first because it will just shred the oatmeal and you will have to stir it up with a spoon to get it to mix.

Cook like normal pancakes

Ramen Noodle eggs

1 package of ramen noodles with seasoning
1 whole egg
Water

Boil noodles until soft. Mix egg and seasoning packet in a separate bowl. Then scramble the egg in with the noodles.
This could be done with any type of pasta, in case you don't want the extra fat from the ramen noodles.

And of course my personal favorite:

6 eggs
water

Place eggs in a pot with water. Bring water to a boil and let it boil for 15 minutes. Peel eggs. Eat whites, feed yolks to dog.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: