Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Chocking Game

Author Topic: The Chocking Game
Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2006 10:42 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Rant mode on*

Alright am I being a bit insensitive when every single time I see a news report about some stupid kid dying from this I automatically think of the "Darwin Awards"? Seriously, strangling yourself until you pass out in order to get high? How stupid can you possibility get?

I do however feel sorry for the parent who finds their kid strangled to death in the kids bedroom when they go in to wake him/her up for school. But I find it hard to feel much sympathy for the dead teen. Then the schools have assemblies to raise "awareness" about this. I am sorry but if you do not realize that choking yourself is a bad thing then maybe you dont belong with the rest of the human race.

I am sorry for the rant but this has got to be one of the stupidest things that I have ever heard of.

*rant mode off*

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 12:45 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Auto-erotic asphyxiation to me. Funny how reporters don't want to bring sex into stories about kids. [Roll Eyes]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 01:09 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, this actually doesn't have anything to do with sex. Kids did it in my high school. Its just a sad, stupid game.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-28-2006 01:09 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This choking thing proves -- again -- that kids are not smart enough to "make the right choices" and that's why they have parents who are SUPPOSED to tell them what to do, and discipline them when they don't do it, but parents don't want to look "parental" for some reason so they leave it up to the kids to "make the right choices."

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-28-2006 03:02 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing new...

Kids did that shit when I was in Middle School. We called it "The Sleeper". (Not to be confused with Hulk Hogan's "Sleeper Hold".)

Then, somewhere around 8th grade, we discovered beer.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-28-2006 04:04 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Gonzalez
...strangling yourself until you pass out in order to get high? How stupid can you possibility get?
Hmmmm just as stupid as your post. It never ceases to amaze me of how judgmental and stupid some people are at ANY age that think they are THE self-appointed "experts" on any particular subject without personal knowledge. You sound like someone that has lived in the your imaginary "perfect" world and not the real world.

Kids, mostly boys 10-18, have always experimented with dangerous things no matter how many others preach to them that they can injure themselves or die. Look at extreme motocross, BMX'ing, water and snow skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, etc... or alcohol, or drugs for that matter. Also, anyone that thinks kids are immune to peer pressure and/or experimentation with ANYTHING is just plain uniformed and/or too f*cking old to remember childhood... or just plain dumbass stupid!

I do agree with Mike, kids need parental guidance, but in many cases, kids don't listen to their parents and defy all and take the peer route.

Bottom line: Have some compassion for them youngin's. Stop judging people and spouting off about things you know nothing about.

BTW: It's "Choking Game" NOT "Chocking Game".

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 05:15 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Why do the children stick beans up their nose,
when the one thing we always tell them
is 'Don't stick beans up your nose?'"
--Carl Sandburg

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-28-2006 07:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Choking Game. Wasn't that an entry on a David Letterman Top 10 list of worst toys for kids?

Okay, I was close. It was Oooh, You're Blue!: The Hold Your Breath Game.

Another great one on that list: Hasbro's Slippery Steps.

On a serious note:

People can do whatever they like so long as they don't hurt me or anyone I know in the process. I can't say I'm overflowing with sympathy for the kids who kill themselves this way. They know they're taking a risk with that activity. My sympathies lie more with their parents, family and friends who have to struggle with that kid's death afterward. Now that's truly terrible. No parent should ever have to bury their child. Afterward they're tortured for many years with thoughts of what they might have been able to do to prevent the accident that took their child's life.

If anyone takes offense at my comments, I'm approaching this from an experienced perspective. One of my best friends in high school committed suicide by hanging himself in the woods. I was pretty shell shocked the rest of my senior year in high school.

On July 4, 2000, my cousin Jody Henderson drowned in Waurika Lake, trying to swim out to help someone whose boat broke down. He was only a year or so out of high school. A year earlier he narrowly survived a work related accident where he was pinned under water in a retention pond by a steel walkway for nearly 3 minutes. The walkway broke his pelvis in half and he still managed to hold his breath. Jody's death only a year later was really tough to handle. Watching my Aunt Sherry and Uncle Jim bury their son will always be one of the saddest things I'll ever see in my lifetime.

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2006 12:14 PM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think assuming that this sort of thing is always caused by stupidity in evaluating the risks is potentially wrong. I've certainly had days when I've been depressed enough that I've crossed the street in a way that I know is dangerous, and could injure me if the driver isn't paying attention.

And somehow the obituaries never manage to have an honest evaluation of whether the person who killed themselves believed they had a good reason to live.

Patrick Dunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Patrick Dunn   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how anyone can be dumb enough to choke themselves to death. I heard from my school nurse that some people will wrap a belt around their neck in order to get high. That is one of the dumbest things i've heard that people do.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: