Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A small Gripe about Weinstein Co

Author Topic: A small Gripe about Weinstein Co
Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2006 08:31 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the Sprung!!! Magic Roundabout
Movie, but why did Weinstein change the Title
and the Voices when it is already in English.
I wanted to hear Robbie Williams Voice. Doogal
is not supposed to sond like a Kid.

Otherwise I give this a [thumbsup]

[Eek!] [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 12:58 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting for Weinstein to show they're worth a damn. They haven't had a hit-or anything close to it-yet.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-28-2006 10:20 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. And the Weinstein split from Buena Vista has gotten on my nerves because it is THE reason why there is still no Kill Bill special edition DVD box set.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 02:07 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
They haven't had a hit-or anything close to it-yet.

Jeez ... tough room ... Hoodwinked with a $15m budget grossed $50m in USA alone, and it isn't even close to a hit?

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 08:20 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how to get the Britsh Voices version
of Sprung!!! The Magic Roundabout though???
DVD players in my Home arnt PAL or whatever
Region UKs DVDs are!!!

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2006 10:23 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to take into account marketing costs when labeling a movie a hit or a miss/flop. The average movie costs roughly $40-50 mil to market.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2006 01:04 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm, in 2004 it was $34m, has it gone up $16m in a year? (I don't have any figures at my disposal) .... regardless, that is "average" in which you have to take into account massive films like King Kong or summer tent-pole pix like M:I:III or whatever ... do you seriously think Hoodwinked had an advertising cost of $50m?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2006 01:24 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, $50 mil, huge hit.

Okay, enough with the sarcasm. Hoodwinked didn't open in this market so I admit it was an oversight on my part. Still, from the point of an exhibitor, that's not a major hit.

And its nothing to write hom about for Weinstein either. Of that $50 million half goes to theatres, that leaves $25 million. I don't think Weinstein was the production company, just the distributor (correct me if I am wrong) so $15 million at least goes back to the production company. That leaves $10 million for marketing and profit to be split between Weinstein and the producers.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2006 02:56 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never claimed it was a "huge hit" ... I just was commenting on the statement that they haven't had "anything close" to a hit.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2006 10:05 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Weinsteins have been in the biz a long time with many successful flicks...given enough time they will come up with some more successful pictures. Their new company is still too young to determine whether or not they have lost the touch.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2006 11:11 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some of the movies they are releasing now they brought with them from Miramax.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: