Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What do you do for sport?

Author Topic: What do you do for sport?
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2006 10:49 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you do for sport?

So the Winter Olympics are over. I love the Figure skating and the Luge. The Ice Dancing was sexy, the Ladies wear less and less and perform amazing feats of daring do. And Luge is just silly, I love a sport you can do lying down.

My three personal sports are Sailing, Swimming, and Skiing. I took 5-years off of skiing when I moved to California and I got up to 300 lbs. Three years ago, I skied for the first time after the 5-years and my mother thought I was going to drop dead of a heart attack. The next year, I had lost 80 lbs and could ski for 4-hours a day over 4-days with no problem. Before the break and now, I have been concentrating on improving my ability in the bump runs. I want to ski moguls

So this year I have been skiing 11 times and I'm not done yet. Over Christmas I skied twice at Keystone and 3-times in Telluride. Then this month, I skied Kirkwood and Heavenly in Tahoe, and 3-days in Telluride and now one day at Keystone. Next week I am going to do Aspen at least once.

So usually I ski with my 63-year-old mother and her 50-year-old husband. She kicks my ass. Until recently she has always been a better skier than me and gets more days in on the mountain than I do or her husband does.

Today, we went out and did a morning of black diamond bump runs before lunch and after lunch we met up with a couple of ladies and did some of the training bumps on a blue run over in the Outback. I was able to string together more turns in the bumps than ever before.

One of the members of this forum is someone I skied with last week. We were watching the Olympics last week and he was falling in love with the US Women's Curling Team. Curling is a sport.

What sports are you actively involved with, and what would you like to learn?

I want to learn to surf. As my Grandmother said, while watching us get dressed for skiing, she likes sports where you take your cloths off.

-
Picture credit B. F. Deal

[ 02-27-2006, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Ian Price ]

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2006 02:53 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Swimming was mine until I wrecked my shoulder.

I got a Hobson Easy Seat & bike now; but don't enjoy it as much as swimming.

The Hobson seats look dumb, but overwhelming statistical evidence points to standard bike seats destroying favorite personal hydraulic systems while the Hobson seats don't. The Hobson Seats are also vexing initially as far as operation, but I approached it with the hubris-sodden viewpoint that I can drive anything.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-27-2006 09:32 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to cross-country ski. There's a nice hilly wooded area in a park just behind my home, so when the snow is fresh, it's just a matter of a short ski to the park. Unfortunately, this mild "roller coaster" winter has not been the best for sking in the Rochester area.

Ice skating is fun, but I'm certainly not as good as my younger daughter, who can do a few jumps and spins. But the whole family likes to watch the figure skating competitions, and we almost always attend the traveling shows like "Stars on Ice" and "Champions on Ice".

We have a pool that sees lots of use in the summer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2006 09:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to hike in the summer and snowshoe in the winter with my cameras. Since I'm just a half mile from the base of the Wasatch Mountains. Plus I get to make it to many other great Mountainous destinations and I try to take advantage of it all when ever I can. Unfortunately there are so great mamy places to go and stuff to see that I will never get to it all....... The Moab, Utah area is still my favorite place to go to though.

There are faces watching you in some of the canyons.....

-

Mark

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 02-27-2006 10:15 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I downhill ski 80-90 days a year. Well, make that two to three hours a day as it's my "going to the club" activity for the winter. During the summer it's mountain biking. Up here a mountain bike is the basic means of summer transpo. It's the way to get around in a box canyon that's 1/2 mile wide and five miles long.

I took that pix of Ian above on lower Silver Glade in Telluride in January. BIG bumps! And it's true that he can't keep up with his Mother even after losing 80 pounds (but she skis more than he does.) But it's also true that he's probably in the top 10% of skiers simply based on where he's willing to go on the mountain, which is just about anywhere.

Mark's pix of S Utah is not photoshopped with insterted snow and spires. This is the way it looks. Moab is 100 miles W of Telluride and is truly one of the great places to visit in the world. Golf, hiking, whitewater, mountain biking, off-road jeeping are all done there for most of the year.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-27-2006 02:35 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was into lap swimming, doing up to three miles a day up until last year. Haven't been feeling good enough to swim for over a year now - the nearly constant colds, allergies and general tiredness are wearing me down. But I will get back in the pool someday.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-27-2006 03:15 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do I do for sport?

-

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-27-2006 03:50 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. What gauge shotgun did you use for that group Randy? [evil] [Big Grin]

Jokie jokie...

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2006 05:31 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to excersize my vintage WW2 and newer Dodge trucks..from running through mud bogs in Idaho, snow drifts most anywhere,, or just plain rock crawling at Moab Utah or going out and rescuing people I know who's trucks wont make it through the difficult stuff! It is a good test of man & machine..driving skills and prudency all come into play!! Plus the look on peoples faces when a 55-60 year old truck comes putting along a trail that even Hummers can't make it through!! Don't get mad Brad, but here's a link to some foto galleries of my various 'joy rides'!! www.imageevent.com/jeickhof ( PLUS my galleries of theatres are at this location too!) I am now famous in that I won a preceedent setting case against the U.S. Forest Service too!! enjoy the pix! I always enjoy the trips and usually my Daughter is along for the ride and now she's learning how to drive off road!

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2006 06:09 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I do SCUBA on occasion. That is a picture of me in Cozumel last summer at a dive site called "Punta Sur." I'm not sure of the exact depth this picture was taken at but it is somewhere between 100-120ft deep.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-27-2006 06:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like rafting. My favorite is whitewater rafting with a guide. That way you get the exercise, you have someone to save your ass if you get in trouble, and you don't have to buy the equipment.

I also like flatwater rafting on the Yellowstone River which flows right by our city. Equipment is cheap and you actually spend more energy lifting beers than you do paddling.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2006 10:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I also like flatwater rafting on the Yellowstone River which flows right by our city.
Oh heck... I figured that any large log would serve well to float down the Yellowstone....can't beat the price either. The river seems pretty calm out in your neck of the woods.....

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-28-2006 01:15 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but a raft is better. The bikini-clad girls are easier to gawk at and it's easier to keep track of the cooler. Also, less slivers. (You're right -- it's pretty calm here.)

Fun rafting story: A few years ago some friends and I were floating down the Yellowstone on July 4. We passed under this giant tree and spotted a bald eagle way at the top. While we were looking at the eagle, it took off flying and circled around us, and finally landed on a dead branch sticking out over the river just a few yards from us. Well, how patriotic is that? A bald eagle circling around on the 4th of July? We were just staring in awe and we were all about to break into a chorus of "God Bless the U.S.A." when the eagle looked right at us and took a huge crap into the river.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2006 01:44 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bowling, motorcycles and playing "pasture pool" (golf) - Monte

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bowling and Pool!

Took 3rd place scratch in the Tucson Jr. Pro-Am many a year ago.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: