Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Window Media Player 10 turns videos upside down and green, Suggestions?

Author Topic: Window Media Player 10 turns videos upside down and green, Suggestions?
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2006 03:20 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed hot fix from microsoft, but it didn't change anything. I have the latest version. It only happens with ceertin wmv videos from a small number of sites.
Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2006 05:45 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what codec(s) are you using(divx, etc..)? try uninstalling these and reinstall

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2006 02:20 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also think there is an issue with a codec. Do those videos run fine on other programs?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-24-2006 02:56 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..got an easy one..dump WMP and get Winamp.

www.winamp.com

..excellent all-around player for audio and video.

I use this player for all of my MPEG/AVI/WMV videos. Excellent reproduction and will do full-screen (if the resolution is high enough on the video..) without a hitch.

-Monte

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2006 03:32 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Turn your monitor upside-down.

2. Wear green sunglasses.

Thomas King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2006 04:57 AM      Profile for Thomas King   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a codec issue. Uninstall all your current video codecs and then get a nice fresh one. (The Xvid codec should handle all your decompressing needs).

On a side note, I've found the best video player to be BSPlayer by a mile. It beats winamp's poorly coded ass into the dirt.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-24-2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're talking about a Microsoft Product. This is a FEATURE!

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2006 12:18 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try downloading this codec pack; It should have all you'll need;

Free-Codecs.com

That site is also great for any & all codec questions and info.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2006 12:37 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably NOT a codec issue. If you look on some MPEG related forums on other sites you will find many threads on this very issue.

Go to the options of Windows Media player, and turn the Hardware Acceleration to the lowest setting.

Still having issues - Replace windows media player with Media Player Classic. It will play almost any format imaginable, without all of the spam and useless features of most commercial players. The only problem is, that it will not replace the integrated windows media player found on some websites.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2006 01:57 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grab your computer...throw it out the window. It won't turn video upside down and green after that!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-25-2006 02:16 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, Media Player Classic is actually the upmost player out there. plays anything out there. Do a search on this player since I can't post the link.

The version is 6.4.8.2 and it's a zipped file.

Little hint. When you get this Player, do a search for the "alternative" Quicktime and Real files to download to work along with this player. Once again, I can't post those links - you do the search.

Yes, I've said that Winamp is good, in which I also use, but MPC easily wins over Winamp.

-Monte

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2006 02:22 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for the replys and ideas. I know, it's a MS feature. [fu]

I will give all the suggestions a shot.

I've downloaded Winamp. How do I configure it so it will take over showing video that is normally shown embedded in a webpage by Winmedia? Winmedia is still bullying it's way into being the default.

[ 02-25-2006, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Brad Allen ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-26-2006 02:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Allen
I've downloaded Winamp. How do I configure it so it will take over showing video that is normally shown embedded in a webpage by Winmedia? Winmedia is still bullying it's way into being the default.

Simple. Goto the "folders option" section in the control panel. Goto the tab that is listed "file type" whichs list all of these files associated with Windows (or even DOS at times). Then find these file extensions (wav.mpe.mpeg.avi.mp3..etc..) and right click on that extension. A window opens up and will mention "opens with" and select Winamp as the default player for whatever files you wish to use Winamp to open. Click *Apply*, then *OK* and close. Then, from now on, Winamp will open any file assigned to that player.

*Alternative* when configuring Winamp, click on "options", then "preferences", then "file types", and you'll see all of the file extensions that Winamp will open. You have the option to do all, or just video, or just audio.

If you got all of this working, then head to *Control Panel*, *Add/Delete Programs* and shitcan WinMedia.....(LOL).

..but, there is one thing that all of us forgot to mention and that is: Windows WILL decay after time, and I bet that your WMP has started to decay, with you experiencing this unusual display when WMP is in operation. If you have the install disc for Windows, reinstall Windows to clear up your original problem.

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2006 04:27 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible that it's codecs but every time I've had that problem it's been a driver issue.
Basically with the board I have (some generic SiS thing) the default driver from Microshaft that windows loads at installation doesn't function properly 9 times out of 10 with the codecs.
Updating the driver to the SiS driver solves the issue every time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: