Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Very Long Night... Family Dog Passes Away... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Very Long Night... Family Dog Passes Away...
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 02-21-2006 11:31 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a very long and detailed event list of what happened last night, however the spell check feature deleted ninety percent of my posting. I do not have the energy to try again.

Our dog of sixteen years passed away, finally and quietly. She had suffered a rupture in her stomach, and her abdomen and chest filled with blood, fecal matter, bacteria, and so on. She had peritinitis, and would not survive. Even with a double lethal dose of sedative, she would not go quietly into the night.

It took hours but she finally passed, and with her pain finally lifted from her. It was very hard, and today was a very different day. It was good the way she finally went, and that we had lots of time in her final moments with her.

Some people treat pets as just pets, others like family. Whether animal or human, if you love someone, let them know that you do, somehow, someway.

I may post more, but I am spent and need to go.

Ciao

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-21-2006 11:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about your loss, Dave.

It reminds me of the two Basset Hounds my family had when I was growing up. Both lived to be 15, and both had rather tough ends. One fought for a week dealing with kidney failure before finally being put to sleep. The other developed an extremely painful intestinal blockage. It's been 16 years since those dogs died and my mother still feels sad about it from time to time.

Some folks just don't understand why pet owners feel bad when their pets die. Just my opinion, but I think those insensitive folks are knuckleheads. They need to try telling my mother she has no right to her feelings -and then try to escape with their lives. Hehe. A pet, especially one you have for a decade or longer, is a member of the family. They also embody a sense of innocence. It hurts like hell when you lose something you love.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-21-2006 11:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understnad and feel your loss
I lost our dog rebel and our cat nipper both within a month of each other last fall
 -
Rebel the toy poodle died after 5 hours in the emergancy animal clinic here from congestive heart failure at 15 years and Nipper the cat had to be put to sleep after 21 years due to kidney failure due to thyroid and diabetes
Animals are part of our collective lives and the gap they leave are sorely missed

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-22-2006 12:03 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

The number one, most humane and noble thing we can do for our pets is to let go of them when it's time. When they get sick and there's no hope, the best thing that we can do is to let them pass on. If euthanasia will help them pass on with less pain, then all the better.

I'm sorry you lost a member of your family but I hope you feel better about the whole situation, knowing you did the right thing.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-22-2006 02:03 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sympathetic. I grew up in a household with cats. When I got married, my wife had a dachshund, "Aiko." I'm not a dog person by any means but Aiko was such a barrel of laughs (she was really a weird dog, in a lovable way) and she really helped Lynn and I grow closer as a couple. She used to whine and bark when we'd kiss - I think she was jealous! Anyway, she died at the age of 9 not too long after Lynn and I got married and we both still miss her. I never thought I'd ever say that about a dog, but she was a pal and we loved her.

So Dave, you'll still have a lot of great memories. That's what will make it easier over time.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2006 03:24 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
Sorry to hear about your loss. The bond you can have with an animal is amazing because no matter what they're as pure to nature as can be and love you completely no matter what so long as you love them too.
That's why it's so easy to honor their memory with a warm heart.

It's been about 2 years since I lost my cat Kodak of 16 years.
He was the coolest cat. He used to lay on my lap and watch Star Trek with me...and steal bits of my sandwiches.
Don't know if cat's can actually see what's on the screen clearly or follow plot lines but he seemed to dig Deanna Troy. Don't we all?

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2006 06:19 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Know how you are feeling Dave. Our dog died after a short illness aged 20 years, the best loyal friend my wife and I ever had. A double blow as he was always with us at the cinema as well.

[eyes] We could do with a sad Graemlin.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-22-2006 07:47 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry to hear of your loss. Pets do really become a member of the family. [Frown]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-22-2006 08:21 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is kind of corny but a long time back (Many, many moons ago...) I put up a tribute for 2 of my lost pets...

Ginger

Nikki

Sorry to hear what you are going thru Dave. [Frown]

Samuel Hynds
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2006 10:47 AM      Profile for Samuel Hynds   Email Samuel Hynds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you. [Frown]

About ten years back, I lost my pouch of 18 years. She was like a sister to me. She ended up having a stroke and lossing control of the left side of her body.

Both our pets are in a better place - waiting for us.

Sam

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-22-2006 10:56 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2006 12:49 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry Dave, to learn of your loss.
Having experienced similar sadness with pets in the past,
I agree completely with Randy Stankey's thoughtful comments.
[There's a row of three marble slabs in my garden as memorials.]

My wife and I now experience unlimited joy from a pair of four-year-old Siamese cats we adopted as newborn kittens.
After a necessary mourning period, I feel you will be able and most willing to apply your great appreciation of animal affection to another worthy recipient.
--Gerard

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2006 01:43 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, sorry to hear of your loss. It's never easy - particularly when euthanasia is the only option. Be comforted that her last moments were spent with those who loved her and who she loved in return.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-22-2006 02:25 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, sorry to hear about your loss. It's very hard to go through that. About a month ago I had to have my cat put to sleep. She'd been with me for 14 years. She started a gradual downhill slide a couple years ago, and then lately it was obvious she was suffering. The vet agreed that there was no quality of life left for her, no matter what medical tricks they tried. That was one very tough decision to make.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 02-22-2006 06:05 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry to hear about the loss of your family member. It still gives me pause to remember all those pals I grew up with until I was 60 or so years old. One of the cruelest things ever is the 10-20 years life spans of our dog and cat friends. It's just not fair.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: