Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Do you remember your dreams better if it is hot or cold? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you remember your dreams better if it is hot or cold?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-16-2006 08:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Hipp wants me to start this thread because he thinks everyone will take the topic seriously if I post it, so here it is.

Hot or cold?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-16-2006 08:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Hipp's minion
Do you remember your dreams better if it is hot or cold?
Brad, do you (i.e. Chris) mean the dream itself? Or the weather? Or perhaps the person in the dream? Or maybe while one is running a fever and/or delirious?

Also, since it would be more credible coming from you Grand-Poopie-BAH, please post this topic for me: "Do you have or know anyone who has web-feet or corns or bunions?"

Thanks!

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-16-2006 10:36 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember my dreams more often when its summertime... is that what you mean?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-16-2006 11:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll wait for Chris to reply. I've no idea what he was smoking earlier today. [Razz]

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 12:07 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember my dreams more when I wake up on my back. Everytime I wake up from a dream and I'm lying on my back, I can recall the dream more vividly than any other waking up position.

I use to be really 'into' the whole dream thing. I.E. lucid dreaming, dream dictionaries, dream diaries, etc. But I can safely say I don't know if I dream better if it's hot or cold. I can say that I sleep better when it's warm out.

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 12:15 AM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
"Do you have or know anyone who has web-feet or corns or bunions?"

No.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-17-2006 01:19 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No correlation that I can remember. Don't remember many dreams at all these days.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 01:39 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the Hot or Cold ones but I DO remember the WET ones! [sex] [Big Grin]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 10:45 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People lose some of the ability to regulate their body temperature during REM, so abnormally hot or cold temperatures in the environment can disrupt this stage of sleep. If our REM sleep is disrupted one night, our bodies don't follow the normal sleep cycle progression the next time we doze off. Instead, we often slip directly into REM sleep and go through extended periods of REM until we "catch up" on this stage of sleep.

I don't know if that proves me right or wrong but at least it shows there is some relation between temprature and dreaming.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 12:13 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've experienced different lengths of dreamlife after disruptions like this alludes to, but its honestly based on who/what the dream seems to be based around, or if the dream feels like reality to make it one I'd remember days & weeks later. If it's a dream that puts me in what seems to be a movie, or even something about being at work, it'll probably stay on the top of my memory for longer. As long as I'm not taking that drug from Nightmare on Elm Street, I usually sleep fine [Smile]

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 02:24 PM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WTF? Dreams can only be remembered if you wake up right after your dream. [thumbsup]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-17-2006 06:39 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do I dream better if it's hot or cold?

Are we talking about temperatures that go to uncomfortable levels, or normal ranges of house temperature? I dream better if the temperature is comfortably warm (like mid 70s). I dream in color, but often forget dreams soon after waking -unless it was a pretty vivid "id" dream. I'm not going to go into specifics about those dreams out of fears the guys in white coats wielding butterfly nets will cart me off to the insane asylum.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2006 07:04 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were talking about mattresses actually. I have a memory foam mattress at home and I told him that my dreams seem more intense when I am sleeping on it as opposed to a normal bed. The reason being that it holds a lot more heat than a normal mattress. I am cheap so I keep the thermostat in my house at no more than 60 degrees right now and on the cold nights I use a fuzzy blanket under my comforter for added insulation (it gets hot) and the same thing happens, the dreams seem more intense. It could simply be that the more intense the dream the higher your body temprature goes.

I'm not a doctor so I dont know, it just seems like it to me.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-17-2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I read with interest the info at the link Chris provided. I agree with most of it.

For me, ambient room temp, type of bed, or how hot I get under the covers doesn't seem to affect my dreams one way or the other.

However, the only thing I have determined that affects me for dreaming is if I get plenty of sleep. When I'm fully rested, I have dreams...and sometimes nightmares. I have even woke myself up yelling and screaming in terror at some of my nightmares.

My whole life I have always dreamed a lot... and thankfully I didn't/don't have many nightmares.

I sometimes dream in B&W and other times full color.

I have solved things and was presented ways to accomplish something while dreaming.

I have re-occuring dreams...and nightmares.

I seem to remember most details of any dream or nightmare when I wake up.

If I wake up and then go back to sleep, many times the same dream continues from the point where I woke up.

(Oh PLEASE! Tell me doc, am I "normal"?) [Razz]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-18-2006 01:13 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say that I remember dreams more often when I'm hot or cold but, as Chris mentioned I DO know I remember dreams more when my sleep is disturbed.

One time I remember dreaming that my house was on fire. I woke to find that I had left the window shade in the bedroom open the night before. The sun was coming through the window and shining directly in my eyes.

Another time, I dreamed that I was walking through a briar patch in my bare feet. No matter where I moved... No matter what I did, the briars dug deeper and deeper into my feet. I woke to find that my cat was playing with my feet, digging his claws into my toes as I unconsciously tried to move them out of harm's way.

But, the dreams I remember the most are when I had a series of post-traumatic nightmares. I got into trouble doing some things I shouldn't have done. I ended up in the hospital. About a week after I got home from the hospital I started having nightmares... The kind that don't go away when you wake up! There was some seriously freaky, fucked up shit going on in my dreams. On several occasions, I woke up screaming. After a while, I was afraid to go to sleep for fear of having another nightmare! I had to get a psychiatrist to help me overcome them.

After that experience, there is virtually nothing that can scare me in a dream! I can have dreams about the freakiest things and it won't phase me a bit. There is nothing that can compare to the sheer terror of feeling like space aliens came to visit you in the night and performed brain surgery on you while you were powerless to resist!

I remember, maybe, a half dozen dreams per year. One or two of them are nightmares. But, like I said, there's nothing that can scare me anymore. I've been to hell and back in my dreams. The average, garden variety nightmare just doesn't compare.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: