Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » BILL GATES.....MICROSOFT SUCKS! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: BILL GATES.....MICROSOFT SUCKS!
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 04:45 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting sick and tired of Microsoft. Hell, I took printing in high school, which included hand-set printing and offset, and I swear that I could have shit done faster and better the 1930's way than I can with these [sex] Microsoft programs!

Some of my peers give me confused looks and say I don't know how to use the software. All I know is that the computer lab techs always admit that it is a computer or system problem, and not me!

AND..OH BEWARE of DELL computers with the vertical CD drives! CDs can and will fall off inside the computer and FUCK everything up! I just bought a brand new $20.00 music CD that I have been wanting for some time...had it for one week!

I am now trying to complete a report for one of my classes. All I needed to do was post and paste some jpegs to a Microsoft Word Document, add in some text boxes and aarows refering to paticular parts of the images, then group them. Six simple images all together. Simple-UH! 12 hrs plus...I should have just printed the jpegs and used a SHARPIE! Anyhow, I am always told that it is either software or Dell graphics car problems! I don't give a FUCK....I just need ASU to have computers that WORK! And ya, I did try putting everything into text and object boxes...but the computer is being VERY touchy!

|  IP: Logged

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tryed http://www.openoffice.org/ ?

I hate all microsoft products even tho i have to use thier windows system

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-12-2006 05:16 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh Will, it sounds like operator error to me... [Razz] [Big Grin] [evil]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 05:33 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will, I have used Microsoft Word to produce the newsletter for my union. I used a number of JPEGs per issue and have never seemed to have a problem inserting them into textboxes or adding borders or anything else around them.

As far as vertical CD drives go, are these drives actually open on the sides? The ones i've seen are usually self-contained units that wouldn't allow them to fly around inside the computer case.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2006 05:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had any trouble with Word.

Button your shirt and then try again. You are probably just scaring the program. [Razz]

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 06:07 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what is going on. Every time I turn around and have a problem the computer tech people here say its some type of system problem...usually graphics card or network.

Anyhow, here is the problem:

I am doing a report for my Strength of Materials class. We ran tensile tests on several types of materials samples, and the tensile tester recorded the results on an analog load vs time graph. The graphs were then scanned and sent to each team member as jpegs. I copied and pasted the jpegs to a Microsoft Word document inside a text-object box. Then I drew in some text boxes so that I could highlight certain parts of the graphs, and used the drawing tool bar to fill in some aarows from the text boxes to their respective points on the graph. So, once drawn in, I tried using the "grouping" command to group these objects, and the grouping command did not want to work, it finally did and was very "touchy", doing different things with each jpeg! Then there was some kind of graphics card problem where a majority of the report would disappear form the screen whenever the mouse was moved. Took several minutes for image to regenerate.

Going back to the rest of my report, need to take info from the load vs time graphs and use Microsoft Excel to generate stress vs strain graphs.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-12-2006 06:24 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Will, perhaps you should have majored in Computer Science so you could straighten out the POS computer guys you have there! [beer] [Razz] [thumbsup]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 06:30 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that Bill Gates named his company "Microsoft", after his dick. [Big Grin]

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 07:34 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why are you using word for page layout anyway? Word = text, use publisher or even powerpoint (if you're stuck with MS software) for layout. If you're in the main ASU campus computer lab, I believe there is a learning lab on the second floor. Spend a few hours up there working through some inDesign tutorials and I guarantee the time will be well spent the next time this issue comes around. Honestly, use word for writing the text, then copy/paste it into a *real* page layout program.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-12-2006 07:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
computers with the vertical CD drives!
Does the tray have adjustable locking tabs to keep the CD in the vertical position so the CD doesn't fall out when the tray opens?

You think that when a drive is placed in the vertical position, that there would be tab on all four corners of the tray to secure the CD when in a position not horizontal....seen these tabs on some TEAC drives in the DTS units..

Even Playstation 2 has a shelf device on the tray when the unit is placed in it's vertical stand to keep the CD secured..

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-12-2006 09:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the CD fell out of the drive inside the computer, it should be a very simple matter to take the case off and get it out. If the computer is fairly new it'll probably open by just sliding a couple of latches. Older, you might have to remove some cabinet screws but either way, nothing to worry about.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 09:23 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The computors are DELL flat screens with the CD horizontally behind the screen.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 09:57 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and they use a drive tray instead of being slot-loading?

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2006 09:59 PM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Gates was at my theatre yesterday(Guild 45th, Seattle) to see Mrs. Henderson Presents. He comes to our theatre quite often. Which is amazing cause his home theatre is quite nice.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-13-2006 08:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will,

Word, EXCEL, and PowerPoint are great programs if you know and understand how to use em. I suggest that you take a class or two in the use of them. There is alot more to Word than meets the eye!! I have no problem with Gates, his philanthropic efforts are unsurpassrd and far ahead of many others [thumbsup] .

Brian... I bet he comes there because he knows you have DP-70'S!

Oh and by the way my Dell Laptop is one of the most reliable computers I've owned... It takes a beating riding around in the "CLACO VAN" and it sits near the flamethrower gas tamk....

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: