Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Digital Cameras & Batteries

Author Topic: Digital Cameras & Batteries
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 04:09 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just in the middle of trying to take some pictures from e-bay with my frustrating Fugi FinePix.

The thing eats batteries like nobodys business.

I've just put two fresh batteries in - totally brand new from the supermarket and the claim to be "long life". Immediately the batterly long indicator is on and the camera shuts down after about 5 seconds. It'll work longer if I use re-chargable batteries.

Is there something wrong with the camera or is the a problem with all digicams? [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-08-2006 04:30 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#1 - Dude... you got a haircut!

#2 - I've always found Fuji cameras extremely finicky on the battery life. Mine will last a maximum of 10 minutes with the rechargable. Get a different brand if you can.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 04:53 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a camera technician I get complaints from people all the time that their camera will not power up or the batteries are not lasting... open the battery door only to find Eveready Heavy Duty batteries.

How many mAH are you rechargables? The only sort of throw away batteries that are any good for digital cameras are lithium ones. Do you have a multimeter Micheal?? If so check how much current the thing is drawing, if its drawing current in the OFF mode then you have a fault. It will also draw more current when first turned on while the flash charges.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 02-08-2006 04:56 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a couple-years-old Sony Cybershot. I've noticed with both regular alkaline and rechargeable batteries, they die REALLY quickly as soon as it tries charging the flash, even if you don't use it. I adjust the settings and basically completely disable the flash and batteries will last remarkably long.

Of course, lighting conditions and exposure times really become delicate. But I can get "dead" batteries to take just a couple more shots if I swap them in. With the flash enabled, the camera will just shut off before it can even boot up.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-08-2006 05:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Rechargeable NiMH batteries last the longest in digital cameras in my experience. If you don't want to go rechargeable (a waste of money IMHO), lithiums are the best.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-08-2006 05:53 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only scenario in which a non-rechargeable option is useful is when you're away from home and either (i) don't want to haul the charger around with you, or (ii) the charger is compatible with the mains power supply in the country you're visiting. For example, the charger with my 4mp Nikon will only run on 230VAC/50hz, so it would be useless in the US, for example. In that scenario, shelling out for a couple of sets of lithiums is definitely easier and probably cheaper than trying to get hold of a charger that works on the local power supply.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 10:52 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if you don't need the flash, turn it off as soon as you turn the camera on. Your batteries will last much longer. I use only rechargables. Trying to use throw aways will cost you much more in the long run.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-08-2006 11:36 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Brad said about rechargable NiMH. That's the way to go. Alkalines never seem to work well in digital cameras.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 03:14 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Fuji FinePix A210, and the thing wouldn't even boot up without rechargeable batteries.

I replaced it with a Fuji FinePix A340, and it's not as picky as to what type of batteries it takes. The rechargeable battery that came with it does last the longest though.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-08-2006 03:59 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Energizer NiMH AA 2500 mAh rechargeable batteries in my Kodak digital camera. As soon as the camera boots up I disable the flash. Most photos I take require no flash (usually have a tripod handy). I rarely ever use the LCD screen on the back (another big drain on battery power).

With a brand new pair of recharageable NiMH batteries I can get around 50 3.1 megapixel photos per charge, sometimes significantly more than that. After about 6-9 months of steady use I have to replace them because they just won't charge for shit after that.

I prefer Lithium Ion batteries (I'll call them "camcorder batteries" to non-techie folks). One of my coworkers has a Canon Power Shot model digital camera that uses a L-Ion battery. She can leave the LCD screen turned on and still get an hour or more of use on a charge.

The obvious downside to L-Ion batteries is damned near all are different. If you have an old camera, at some point the company will stop making your battery. It is extremely stupid beyond all belief how the electronics companies refuse to settle on any kind of standard form factor.
[Mad]

By contrast, professional level broadcast field video cameras have industry standard battery connectors so you can slap on a heavy Anton Bauer battery and get shooting.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 05:36 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use rayovak/radio shack NiMH 15 minute rechargable batteries. Give great life and when they do run out you only need to wait 15 minutes to get a full charge on 4 batteries. Very slick.

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2006 02:00 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Brown
The thing eats batteries like nobodys business.
If you can afford the things, Lithium batteries are awesome. The downside, as someone else has said, is that they aren't rechargeable.
If you use rechargeables, the 2500mAh NiMH AAs are hard to beat. Keep in mind that NiMHs usually can only be recharged around 1000 times before needing to be replaced.

If you still have problems with your camera even after trying these battery types, you might want to either talk to the manufacturer of the camera, or look into getting a different make and/or model of camera.

quote: Bobby Henderson
By contrast, professional level broadcast field video cameras have industry standard battery connectors so you can slap on a heavy Anton Bauer battery and get shooting.
Mmm, Anton Bauer gold mounts rock. If only I could find one for my old JVC KY-25/BR-S411U. The old NB-G1Us I have for the camera are practically dead.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-12-2006 09:43 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the camera has a view finder turn the display off too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: