Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Job Interview Coming Up (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Job Interview Coming Up
Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 03:52 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I have a cinema projectionist job interview coming up and im woundering if you have any hints or tips and any advice on the questions that might be asked in the projection interview,

I want to be prepared so that i have a real chance of getting this job,

Thanks in advanced,

|  IP: Logged

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 06:02 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It mainly depends on the interwiewer.

What you should think about and try to ask yourself:

Do I have any experience or skills that could be useful? If so, which?
Why do I think I am the right guy for this job?
Why do I want to work right here?

Good luck for your interview.

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 06:49 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks [Smile]

Ive worked within a projection room before as a full time projectionist so i should be in with a chance [Smile]

I'll use them example questions in a test paper im going to do and get a friend to act like a interviewer [Smile]

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 08:05 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, do you have a resume? The purpose of a resume is to get you an interview. The resume should be tailored for the specific job for which you are applying. A cover letter should accompany your resume. (These are the "basics")...also GRAMMAR, GRAMMAR, GRAMMAR!

An interview is a two-way street, you are actually interviewing each other. Be early to the interview and look relaxed, confident (but not cockey), appropriately dressed. It is also important that you have researched the company with whom you are applying...such as company history, etc... Be prepared with a notepad and pencil, maybe some prepared questions, another copy of your resume, cover letter and a list of references which you can supply UPPON REQUEST. Greet the interviewer with a firm handshake and a smile. Never say anything negative about yourself...look for ways to turn a potentially negative topic to a positive one. Remember that skills learned in school also count as experience. Even if you were say a stay at home parent for many years, you still have skills that can be relivant to the position for which you are applying...look for them! If the interviewer asks an "illegal" question, do not get defensive, but throw it back n the interviewer as another question, in a tactful way~look for a hidden meaning within the question which you may be able to answer in a positive tone. DON'T LIE!. Watch your nonverbal communication. Never critize past employeers. Don't interrupt. Answer a question directly...think before you speak. Follow the interviewers lead...sit when invited to do so, etc. Avoid debate. Use action verbs to describe your skills. Wait for an offer to discuss salary. If asked about your long-term goals, don't tell the interviewer that you plan on quitting after 6 months, etc.

Hope these "basics" help...

K

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-08-2006 08:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First you've got to get them thinking correctly so.....
BE sure to tell them that 70mm will be replacing D.C.!
Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-08-2006 08:11 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of venue? Big chain, small chain or independent? First run, crossover or arthouse? This might affect the sort of person the interviewers are looking for. For example, a big chain of multiplexes might be looking for someone who shows that they can work effectively within a large management structure and corporate culture; whereas an independent arthouse might be more keen on someone who shows that they are a self-starter, interested in more obscure films, non-standard formats etc. Whatever it is, do a bit of research to show that you know a bit about the company or organisation, its history and culture, its main customer base, where it sits in the marketplace, who its main competitors are, what its development priorities are etc. etc.

In other words, Odeon or Vue aren't going to be interested if you know what 1:1.66 or variable density is; likewise an independent arthouse running changeovers won't want to know if you've interlocked a single print through 64 screens in a multiplex.

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 09:01 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will Kutler

Thanks for that, It really helped alot, I have a resume and a cover letter ready for the interview,I had an interview with them last march, Which went well, But someone with more exp came along, So I'll go dressed smart and happy and answer all his questions direct and to the point [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen

70mm wow, aint that near the imax size or am i wrong ? [Smile]

Leo Enticknap

The cinema that wants to have a chat with me are Savoy Cinema's Nottingham

I know a fair bit in the projection room, I wanna be able to start as a small sized cinema projectionist then work my way up to the megaplex cinemas,

Thanks for all your replys [Smile]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2006 02:07 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges."

--Jack Handey

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2006 01:50 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
won't want to know if you've interlocked a single print through 64 screens in a multiplex.
Wow, I'd love to see a 64-screen interlock! That'd be INSANE!

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2006 11:04 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow 64 interlock, Now that whould be intresting to see [Smile]

I just got an email from the cinema asking if i whould like to go into the cinema for a few days with the projectionist to see how i get on [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2006 04:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A 64 screen really wouldn't be all that hard. If only I could find a few megaplexes in the same shopping center to do it!

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2006 04:42 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, just mount some rollers on buildings, highways, and street signs.
Shouldn't be too hard.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2006 04:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly the idea! Well, that and getting Christopher Guest to shoot a film around it. [Razz]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2006 04:58 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jamie Glossop
I just got an email from the cinema asking if i whould like to go into the cinema for a few days with the projectionist to see how i get on
Aha a test. Do it. Maybe they want to know how eager you are. I'd try to convince them that they will get more out of you than they pay for. In other words you will be profitable for them to employ

Jamie Glossop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2006 06:31 AM      Profile for Jamie Glossop   Author's Homepage   Email Jamie Glossop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I emailed them back and said yes i'd love too [Smile]

Then i'll get to show them how much of a hardworker i am [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: