Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New Machine Gun Fires 50 Rounds Per Second! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Machine Gun Fires 50 Rounds Per Second!
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-03-2006 08:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
California nuclear lab brings out the big guns
Defense system now includes 6-barrel Gatling machine guns

Thursday, February 2, 2006; Posted: 10:11 p.m. EST (03:11 GMT)

LIVERMORE, California (AP) -- Officials at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory have added a new weapon to their armory: a high-powered machine gun that can fire more than 50 rounds per second.

The weapon, unveiled Thursday, is a six-barrel Gatling gun called the Dillon Aero M134D. An undisclosed number of the guns will be mounted on vehicles and elsewhere at the lab.

"What we want to do is equip our protective force with the capability that will leave no doubt about the outcome," said Linton Brooks, head of the National Nuclear Security Administration.

Lab critics questioned the wisdom of putting such powerful guns at the lab, which is across the street from suburban homes. They say the real problem is that the lab site, which is relatively small at 1 square mile, is not a good place for nuclear materials.

"If you don't have the firepower, that's one kind of security weakness, but if you do have the firepower, you potentially endanger nearby workers and community members because it's such a compact site," said Marylia Kelley, executive director of Tri-Valley CARES, a Livermore-based activist group.

Lab spokeswoman Susan Houghton said the guns add "one more layer of protection."

The 8,000-employee lab is 50 miles east of San Francisco.

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2006 09:06 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get what's nuclear about it. Does it fire depleted uranium slugs or something? Why is it a threat to the community? Sounds like a regular mini gun, except faster.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2006 09:14 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
50 rounds a second! Pah! [thumbsdown]

Try the Phalanx system which also is a 6 barrel 20mm rotary cannon. Up to 4500 rounds a minute ,75 rounds a second! [thumbsup]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-03-2006 01:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..can you imaging having something like this in the Pacific Theatre during WW-II?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-03-2006 01:16 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY! I have a use for one of those! Where can I get one?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2006 01:32 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just might be relocating to Livermore this summer. I'm very excited.
I think that weapon would do wonders for those damn skaters that love to hang out in front of movie theaters [evil]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2006 01:40 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other night on "Mail Call" they did a story on a machine gun shoot here
http://www.machinegunshoot.com/

You can buy the ammo and shoot your favorite machine gun. One of the guns was a "mini". Imagine what it would cost to squeeze off a couple of burst on that baby. [Eek!]

At night they have a "night shoot" and use tracers. They bring out cars full of dynamite and let the shooters blast them till they blow. Then they bring out some more.

You can also ride in a helicopter and drill the cars from overhead with an M60

They had a few larger ordinance pieces like a 50 cal and a flame thrower

Check out the photo gallery on that website

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2006 02:03 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Mueller
I don't get what's nuclear about it.
They're referring to the nuclear materials that LLNL handles, not the guns. The guns are probably some of the less dangerous things around that place. [Wink]

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2006 02:03 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is one American gun I would not mind hanging on my wall as an historical piece, it is a "Chicago Typewriter" in the archives of the Chicago P.D...balistics test have shown that this rare piece was one of the weapons used in the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2006 02:14 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made a few pieces for the "Star Wars Project" at LL when that project was going. That was a while back. The reason I was wondering about the depleted uranium slugs is that they use those in our big tanks to blow holes in the bad guy tanks.

Will
Is that the Thompson 45 cal?
Are there any pictures?
Arizona is a class 3 state isn't it?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-03-2006 04:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, is this the same site where I read in a magazine where they shot up a 1984 Caddy Coupe deVille? Vehicle was actually in pretty good condition outside of the engine needing rebuilt.

Would that be the "Tommy" Thompson 45 machine gun you're asking about?

thx-Monte

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2006 04:30 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2006 05:09 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Greg

I am not a gun owner or maker. A few of my friends who are master craftsman/tool and mold makers are...so I really appreciate the artistic craftsmanship that goes into them.

I saw a program on the Discovery Channel about the "Massacre" where the Chicago PD displayed that gun...yes, it is a 45 Thompson. Balistics testing showed that it was used in the "Massacre".

I guess one thing that really p.o'ed me about guns is something that hit home. The fiance of someone very close to me was a first class nut job who owned a few guns and was very dangerous and careless with them...causing a potentially dangerous situation. So, I took the guns along with the ammo to the Tucson P.D. for voluntary turn-in. After all, their voluntary gun turn-in programs had a lot of publicity! So, after explaining the situation to them, they were not interested in verifying that the fiance was the registered owner, and refused to accept the guns or ammo! WOW...considering the fact that this individual was a first-class problem child with whom the Tucson PD had to deal with on a regular basis (violent and aggressive behavior)! Luckily the SOB had some major health problems that ultimately led to his/her death...some of those health problems affecting his/her erratic behavior.
(his/her used to hid gender/identy)

Cheers

K

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-03-2006 05:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too many weapons fire depleted uranium slugs. I don't know the bore diameter of the Dillon Aero M134D, but considering the somewhat compact appearance of the gun, I doubt the military would have any depleted uranium rounds for it.

Probably the most famous US military weapon using depleted uranium tipped bullets is the 30mm seven-barrel cannon on the nose cone of A-10 Warthog and Thunderbolt anti-tank jets. It has a cyclic rate of 3600 rounds per minute, 60 rounds per second. I argue it's the most badass machine gun on the planet.

Sure, the Phalax chain gun found on aircraft carriers and other Navy ships has nearly double the cyclic rate. However, it can be a huge pain in the ass to maintain. And it fires standard 20mm anti-aircraft bullets. By comparison, the 30mm rounds used in an A-10 Warthog are quite a bit larger.

When I was in middle school our family was stationed at Chandler Field, Belle Chasse, LA. The Naval Air Station had a squadron of A-10 Warthogs. During air shows (featuring the Blue Angels) they would have at least a couple A-10s out on display will all types of ammo used spread under the jets. Naturally those displays were cordened off and guarded. But it was still cool to see the bombs, bullets and missles the A-10 could carry. It's an old jet. But still very badass to this day.

This is from a Miliary.com page:
quote:
Depleted Uranium: Fast Facts

Depleted uranium is 70% more dense than lead, and 15% more dense than tungsten (the other metal commonly used for projectiles) -- this gives it more kinetic energy when fired. As a comparison, the amount of depleted uranium that would fill a 12-ounce can of Coke would weigh over 14 pounds.

Depleted uranium burns and melts as it penetrates steel, becoming 'sharper' rather than blunting, resulting in increased destructive power.

Projectiles made from depleted uranium are cheaper to manufacture than those made from tungsten because it can be cast easily.

Depleted Uranium's Current Uses:

Army
- 120 mm or 105 mm caliber projectiles used by the M1 Abrams and M60A3 tanks
- 25mm projectiles used by the M242 mounted on the M2 Bradley and the LAV-AT
- Some Abrams tanks have DU rods as reinforcements as part of its armour plating

Navy
- 20mm CIWS and 25mm Mk38 machine gun

Air Force
- 30mm caliber projectiles used by A-10 Thunderbolt II

Marine Corps
- 25 mm projectiles used by AV-8B Harrier
- 20mm projectiles for electric Gatling gun mounted on AH-1 helicopter gunships

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2006 05:34 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah there's a lot of nuts out there that should not have guns (or baseball bats or even pointy sticks) It's one of the reasons I don't hunt anymore. To many drunks being very irresponsible with a life taking device. Now I and my friends just target shoot targets (Osama targets [Big Grin] )
Used sanely and responsibly, by law abiding citizens, you can have a lot of fun. It's the irresponsible, insane, law breaking, nuts, that give the rest of us a bad name.

Bobby
It's interesting to note that the german tanks of WWII used a solid round to pierce the armour of the Shermans. They didn't need to explode, their velocity and solidity easilly pierced the armour.
Gunny went out and saw the Abrams in one of his shows. It's where I saw the weird looking round (uranium) that they use. It didn't even look like a bullet. But what a lot of "whop-ass"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: