Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Warner Bros to sell movies on net

Author Topic: Warner Bros to sell movies on net
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-31-2006 03:42 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Warner Bros to sell movies on net

Films such as Batman Begins and TV series The OC are to be made available over the internet via peer-to-peer (P2P) networks by studio Warner Bros.

The firm will sell movies and TV shows over the internet in Germany, Austria and Switzerland from March.

Its In2Movies service will use the same file-sharing technology that has led to an increase in movie piracy.

Warner Bros did not reveal price details but said it planned to widen its international use of P2P networks.

Legal alternative

"One of the most effective weapons for defeating online piracy is providing legal, easy-to-use alternatives," said Kevin Tsujihara, president of Warner Bros Home Entertainment Group.

Its In2Movies service will enable viewers to download legally Warner's blockbuster movies and regional programmes as well as material supplied by third parties.

New films will be made available to registered users of the service from the day they are released on DVD in the German language.

"Our initial efforts will focus on the German market, but in the months ahead we will leverage this technology to better serve markets around the world," Mr Tsujihara added.

A later version of In2Movies will also enable viewers to store movies and TV shows on portable devices.

Warner Bros said that in the first half of 2005, 1.7 million internet users illegally downloaded 11.9 million movies in Germany.

The BBC is currently testing a similar service called iMP, which will enable viewers to watch BBC programmes up to seven days after they have been broadcast on TV.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2006 04:04 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Retail will be nuts over it. Until I worked for Best Buy, I never belived that anyone would pay for music-sharing services, but I was sadly proven wrong.

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2006 09:11 PM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is Warner Brothers using a peer to peer technology, rather than just having the users download directly from their servers?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2006 03:12 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
Retail will be nuts over it. Until I worked for Best Buy, I never belived that anyone would pay for music-sharing services, but I was sadly proven wrong.
Depends on your market. When I worked at Worst Buy I _never_ sold a Rhapsody subscription and my attachments were way below company standards.
After they realised the market didn't spend like they had hoped 99% of the staff got axed within 6 months.

That's when I returned to film [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: