Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Krispy Kreme Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Krispy Kreme Thread
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 02:45 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

The big news here in Melbourne Australia is that we will shortly have our first Krispy Kreme Donut outlet.

The news article I read waxed lyrical about the donuts and implied that people often went to great lengths to get these donuts.

Ok enough hype. You guys know all about Krispy Kreme. Can someone please explain to me what the stores offer and whether the donuts are any good? For example - are the cinnamon donuts fresh and hot? What other donuts do they offer? Do they offer churros? What else do they sell? Are they cheap? If they are good, what makes them better than other donut shops?

Thanking you

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 02:58 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The powdered sugar on the doughnuts is actually cocaine, that's why we love them so much. Yeah, their good but I personally don't see the hype around them. But maybe I'm not a doughnut connoiseur.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 03:30 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I have a confession (like many Australians) to make.

It's kinda hard... you know... to talk about...

Yes, I admit it. I've never had a Krispy Kreme donut before. Soon will be my FIRST TIME (I'll visit Fountain Gate Shopping Centre and try one) and I'm a little nervous. I hope they have a discreet office with curtains.

Should I use lubricant (Jam?, Coffee? Victoria Bitter?). Should I use protection (A donut wrapper?). Or should I abstain from having a Krispy Kreme donut until one comes to my local suburb out of loyalty to that new franchise owner?

I also admit that I've looked at some hard core videos - you know, imported videos of people eating Krispy Kreme donuts, to get an idea of what goes on. What is the church's position on Krispy Kreme - are Krispy Kreme donuts holy?

Also I've been wondering a bit about positions. Should one eat a Krispy Kreme Donut side on or should one turn it into a vertical position? Can one get manuals on which positions to use when eating Krispy Kreme donuts? And I've heard about the 69 position too where two lovers eat each other's KK donut at the same time. Note that both the numbers 6 and 9 have holes just like donuts.

Hoping someone can give some adult guidance to a newbie.

cheers Peter

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 03:36 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MMMM...Deep Fried Lard!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-27-2006 03:38 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have murdered people for Krispy Kreme donuts. Yes, they are that good, especially when they're warm. Believe all the hype. Get your hopes SKY HIGH! [beer]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 04:12 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YUK!! I hate KK donuts! Not only are they almost twice the price of regular donut shops, they just don't taste very good!

They're much less "cake-like" and more "oil+sugar+air" than a standard donut.

[puke]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 01-27-2006 06:01 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like KK doughnuts, but I don't classify them as doughnuts when I say I like doughnuts. Their signature "doughnut" is light, thin, and airy, coated in a rich glaze all over ... and you can see them being made. The stores I've been to proudly show off the "factory" through large glass windows. For my taste, though, they're perfect NOT when they're "hot & fresh", but as they've cooled a little, and still have a little warmth. You can eat tons of them. They're still good dead cold.

However, when I say I like doughnuts, I refer explicitly to the more cake-like, crumbly kind. Krispy Kreme, however, does not have good cakey doughnuts. They have them, but I don't think they're high quality. It's as if they went across town to the OTHER doughnut place, stocked up on the ones THEY had sitting out all day, and brought them in to sell.

As far as I know, no, they don't have Churros. Just a meagre variety of doughnuts, TONS of their signature kind, and a whole barrage of drinks: coffee, milk, and SODAS!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-27-2006 06:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I much prefer Shipley's Donuts. Don't know if that's a nationwide chain, or just a small chain around Dallas. Krispy Kreme donuts quite literally give me a headache. It's like they have super concentrated sugar in them or something.

Other than that, it's hit or miss with the independent donut shops. If the owners (and entire staff) are Asian, odds are that the product will be quite tasty. If they are American just run away because we American's can't make a decent donut to save our lives. Anyone know why that is? It's just a freakin' donut!

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 06:29 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks

Here in Australia Donut King are hard to beat when it comes to freshly made, yummy cinnamon donuts. They have a number of iced donuts but they are not freshly made so I avoid them. $A3.30 at my local Donut King gets me a Cappuccino + 2 cinnamon donuts which is a good deal.

Not to mention my Donut King card gives me an occasional free Cappucino as well.

The other good thing is that Donut King are at lots of shopping centres here in Melbourne, Australia. If any of you guys visit Australia try the donuts and lets hear what you think of them.

Maybe we can sell you a franchise? [Smile]

cheers Peter

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-27-2006 08:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Berrett
The big news here in Melbourne Australia is that we will shortly have our first Krispy Kreme Donut outlet.

You sure have my sympathy! You may want to warn everyone you know about them..... Krispy Kream's suck big time... they are all air. I prefer Banbury Cross or Tommy's here in SLC.

Mark

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 09:35 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eating a KK "donut" is like eating a fluffly glazed cloud...When I lived back in Michigan we would drive down to Grand Rapids, 2 hour drive. Just to get some KK "donuts"...well ok and go the IMAX also. [Big Grin] Nothing beats walking in and having them hand you a fresh hot off the conveyor belt. mmmmmmmmmmmmm good [thumbsup]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 10:41 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, according to the Shipley website they pretty much operate in the south, with the vast majority of their stores in Texas.

I'm not a big fan of donuts myself, but if I do get them, I would prefer them from Shipley's.
I tried Krispy Kremes a couple of times and could feel myself getting sick after just a couple of bites.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-27-2006 12:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think KKs are OK, but after hearing people talk about how awesome they are and how they would drive hundreds of miles to get them, I was let down. Like Brad said, they're JUST a donut.

The best thing about them is, they're still good even after sitting a day or 2. Personally I think the glazed donuts from the in-store bakery at our local grocery store are just as good or maybe even better, but they don't keep as well.

The best donuts in my world (raised type) are my Aunt Gardie's spud nuts and (cake type) my Grandma Blakesley's cake donuts.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-27-2006 01:03 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "original glazed" is the doughnut that gets all the hype, and is the only one served "hot" at Krispy Kreme stores. It's light and airy as noted and has a taste like no other. They can also be good frozen, then microwaved for about twenty seconds. Or eaten frozen. My cat swears by them frozen.

They have other doughnuts, of course, but the hype is all about the original glazed.

The original glazed is my favorite of any glazed doughnut, but for frosted, cream-filled, or fruit-filled doughnuts, I prefer Dunkin' Donuts.

When we got a Krispy Kreme in Des Moines, people from Minneapolis made road trips down to get them. The newspapers up there covered this phenomenon when they broke ground on the first Minnesota store a few years later.

Mark...You like Tommie's?!? [puke]

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2006 01:08 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry,

But Dunkin Doughnuts and Wenchel's kicks ass over Krispy Kreme!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: