Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Need a new router - suggestions? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Need a new router - suggestions?
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 12:38 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our router here at home crapped out, and we need a new one. It was a Linksys 10/100mbps, model #befsr41, and I was searching on new egg and came up with various other brands. Reading the reviews of this Linksys, it seems to have mixed opinions on it's reliability with connectivity issues. Our own experience with it the past few years has been rather poor... usually a good connection for a while... then it craps out, then it's ok... etc. Anyways, should I just replace it, or get a different brand? For our cable modem we have a Linksys model as well (not sure if that matters or not).

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-14-2006 02:27 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About a year ago, I had it with Linksys. There always seem to be some minor problem with anything they make, and it's the minor problems the drive you crazy. If it just didn't work I would have returned it. Anyway, I suggest Netgear.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-14-2006 03:09 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with John. I got soooo sick and tired of dealing with all the problems and PITA setup of Link Systems' crap that I switched to Netgear years ago too.

Even though I still try Linksys stuff now and again when stuck cuz of lack or Netgear stock, and hoping they have improved...they haven't! So I still go back to Netgear.

In both of my CA (1.5 DSL) and TX (1.2 Cable) abodes I have Netgear WGT624 wireless routers and have never had ANY problem with them ...even with the early rev versions.

Reliable and they virtually set themselves up. They work great for the 3 wired network printers and Desktop computer, and the wireless laptop and 4 wireless security TV cameras which I use for monitoring my house when traveling.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-14-2006 03:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add another vote for NetGear.

Stay away from D-Link. Their customer support is the absolute worst. If you ever need a warranty replacement, be prepared to make several phone calls, costing you lots of your time, and then you have to return EVERY SINGLE PIECE that came with the original retail boxed item, including things like user manuals, mounting kits, and rubber feet. I returned a gig switch for replacement, got charged like $40 for the user manual, 4 rubber feet, and a wall-mount kit consisting of 2 light-duty plastic drywall anchors and 2 screws. We eventually "settled" that issue but I resolved NEVER to buy any other D-Link product as long as I live. I actually need to buy a wireless router soon, and the best price at Circuit City right now is a D-Link for like $30 after rebate. I will not buy it.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 03:36 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ZyXEL Prestige 643

I've had no problems with my Zyxel. I even have an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station connected to one of its ethernet ports for wireless. Works great.

AirPort Extreme

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-14-2006 03:44 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I also totally agree with David about the D-Link crap! My wireless cameras are D-Link and they were a ROYAL PITA to setup... too GD confusing!

Also, I have a D-Link DP-301P+ Enet Print Server for my LaserJet 5 Printer that has YET to work properly without crashing the laptop. [Mad]

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 04:14 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also avoid Belkin. I bought one and subsequently watched my DSL speed decrease by 75%. Tech support is non-existent, as I e-mailed them 2 days ago and have not heard back yet. Then I found on their site that they are having unsolvable problems with 10 different models. Their website has a link on the support page titled "EXPANDED NETWORKING REFUND AND OFFER" that states :

If you purchased, in the United States, a Belkin wireless networking product having any of the following product numbers F5D7000, F5D7010, F5D7050, F5D7230-4, F5D7001, F5D7011, F5D7231-4, F6D3230-4, F6D3010, and F6D3000 (“the Eligible Products”) and you believe that the data throughput rate you are obtaining is not what you expected, you may return your wireless router to Belkin for a refund of your purchase price. Here is how the offer works:

1. Return your Eligible Product or Eligible Products in working condition by uninsured first class U.S. Mail to Belkin at the following address: Belkin Corporation, 501 West Walnut Street, Compton, California 90220, Attn: Networking Offer.

2. Please include your receipt or other proof of purchase showing the price paid for each Eligible Product and your address where you want your refund sent.

3. Within six weeks of its receipt of the Eligible Product, Belkin will send you a refund of your actual purchase price plus your actual cost of uninsured first class U.S. Mail for shipping the Eligible Product to Belkin.

4. If you do not have your receipt or other reliable proof of purchase for the returned Eligible Product, Belkin will refund to you an amount equal to the average sale price of the particular Eligible Product along with your actual cost of uninsured first class U.S. Mail shipping.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-14-2006 07:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had any problems with Linksys routers. I first bought a BEFSR41 model and used that one for a few years, but then I switched to a WRT54GS for wireless G-type access for my notebook. No problems at all.

However...

All of that depends on your ISP setup. I'm using an older SpeedStream DSL modem that is a very straight-forward model without a lot of needlessly redundant bullshit (like built-in router functions).

Other friends of mine have had hell trying to get the same router model working on newer Speedstream modems that do have built in routing. Basically I believe that's just a scam by the ISP to force users to get their overpriced yet shitty proprietary wireless routers. SBC/Yahoo (or rather AT&T now) tries to force that awful 2-Wire shit on everyone. I've never seen great reviews on any of those routers. But the one I use has earned plenty of awards (PC Magazine Editor's Choice, etc.).

In the end you have to buy what's going to work best with your Internet connection.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 08:02 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just dealt with this problem this week. I pulled out an older Linksys router because it wouldn't perform DHCP properly and it kept losing my print server. I bought a Netgear and it was a joy to setup and it has a much better management tool. I am very satisfied, so far.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 09:19 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Mike...

I thought you were discussing WOODWORKING! [Big Grin]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went ahead and bought a Netgear router WGT624 108 mbps Wireless at best buy, with the rebates it came to what it would be on newegg. I read the reviews on newegg, and it seems to have about the same success as Linksys' stuff, but we'll see. What are the differences between the $50 models and the $80+ models?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 01-14-2006 09:45 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In reality, they're all crap out of the box. Just about everything uses Broadcom processors and switches. A large majority use the same model Broadcom processors and switches.

The reliability of the device, like most any embedded OS device today, depends almost entirely on whose software people are less stupid. Unsurprisingly, I'm seeing major improvements in Linksys gear post Cisco takeover.

For this reason I have no faith in NetGear's software people. I've also yet to see a NetGear network card stand up to any serious load (two of the one's in the old film-tech.com servers used to crap out hourly). For a low cost network card the D-Link 538-TX is the best available. At about $5 I couldn't care less about a warranty, especially given that in over the 500+ I've used, not one has died. It's only aviablable in Canada though. In the US you have to settle for the almost as good 530-TX.

For reliability over cost applications, Intel or 3Com is the only option.

Anyway, bottom line is, buy one of routers listed on this page and install OpenWRT on it instead of putty up with the all-around crappy software that all of the vendors provide. If you don't want to go the OpenWRT route, find the (usually one) good firmware version the vendor provides. There's almost always one, and always lots of bad ones.

Chris Boland
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 10:51 PM      Profile for Chris Boland   Email Chris Boland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on when you guys dealt with Linksys things may have changed quite a bit.

They've since been bought out by Cisco Systems which is the world's largest maker of routing/networking equipment (I can almost guarantee you that when you visit this site your request goes thru their equipment). Again from my 'computer nerd' point of view things don't get much better then Linksys when it comes to the quality of the components and firmware on the device.

I agree some of the setup for their gear can be a little frustrating but in the end their routers will outperform almost anything on the market right now. If you're looking for a wired solution This is my suggestion. If you're looking for something wireless this wireless router will do everything you need. If you do chose to go the wireless route ensure you take the time to properly secure your connection, or disable it completely if you don't intend to use wireless.

Good luck! [Smile]

edit: Sorry, didn't completely read Daryl's post, I kinda echoed his thoughts.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-15-2006 10:25 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we were talking about routers. I've set up several NetGear wireless routers and had no problems with any of them. The NetGear GA302T gig ethernet card is indeed crap though.

In fairness, I should point out that I set up a Linksys wireless router for someone about 6 months ago, and had no problems with it either.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2006 10:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Walsh
About a year ago, I had it with Linksys. There always seem to be some minor problem with anything they make, and it's the minor problems the drive you crazy. If it just didn't work I would have returned it. Anyway, I suggest Netgear.

Ditto here on linksys. Once a Linksys router caused nightmarish problems with a ticketing system install... stations randomly dropping off line, putting in a new netgear router solved the problem. So far as I know this system is still running just fine with it.....

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: