Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kodak unveils new logo (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Kodak unveils new logo
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-07-2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A change for the better? I dunno... [Shrug]
Here's the article from yesterday's Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. What say you?

quote:
Kodak Unveils New Logo

Event marks the company's first such change in more than half a century

-

Ben Rand
Staff writer

(January 6, 2006) — In another break with the past, Eastman Kodak Co. is introducing a new corporate logo designed to help the company forge a new image as a cutting-edge, 21st century innovator.

Kodak's new corporate symbol retains the company's distinctive red and yellow colors, but does away with the boxes that have contained the word "Kodak" for the past 70 years.

The logo change was introduced today during a sweeping speech by Kodak Chairman and Chief Executive Antonio Perez at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. In his speech, Perez called on the industry to work together to make digital imaging and digital photography easier and more useful in the context of daily life.

The new mark, based on a customized typeface, is designed to give the company a contemporary look but be flexible enough to apply in new ways and new venues across Kodak's varied businesses --everything from tiny handheld digital cameras to computer software to the letters on Kodak buildings around the world.

The logo is one part of Kodak's larger effort to redefine its brand-name identity, through advertising, public relations, supplier and partner relationships and other in areas.

"We want to break out of the box, in a lot of ways," says Betty Noonan, director of brand management and marketing services at Kodak.

The announcement caps a busy week for Rochester's best-known company. Kodak late Thursday announced an important technology-sharing-and-marketing alliance with Motorola Inc. aimed at making imaging more widespread in electronic devices. Earlier, it unveiled what is believed to be the first digital camera with two lenses, and new software that combines Internet telephone calls with photo sharing.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-07-2006 06:55 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the old logo better...

The new one sux and is too Jewish!

It's just one more reason to switch to FujiFilm! [thumbsup]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-07-2006 07:22 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old logo definitely looks dated. The new logo, I dunno, I like it but it doesn't seem like a home-run. Maybe it'll grow on me. [Shrug]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-07-2006 07:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new Kodak logo is too trendy, at least in the choice of letter forms. Give it a few years and the logo will look dated and need changing once again.

Also, I think it's too plain looking. There's not much to the design to really make it work as a true logotype. It's just lettering framed with two rule lines.

Kodak has valid points for wanting to get rid of the boxes -to get people to start thinking "outside the box" when it comes to Kodak.

The problem is that K box really worked as a logotype or symbol for the company. It may not be as well known as Dolby's Double D icon, but lots of people could probably identify the element on its own without the Kodak letters being stationed inside of it.

Intel just unveiled a major redesign of their logo, basically getting rid of the comic book style "Intel Inside" letters but keeping the swoosh element. Intel kept the swoosh even though the swoosh thing has really gone out of fashion in terms of logo design trends.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 01-07-2006 08:06 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new logo is a Major Mistake. I think they will re-think this new and go back to the old.

The new lacks imagination, is very plain and "dull'.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2006 08:33 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
Brainwaves picked up from the Kodak boardroom:

"I dunno what to do ... we completely missed the digital wave ... might as well still be selling box cameras ... we could maybe develop better products to win the consumers back ... no, I got it! A new logo!"

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-07-2006 09:29 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, I can't but help think that KODAK needs to be printed magenta-on-cyan. [Smile]

Oh--and with funny spacing pseudorandomly inserted between the letters.

[ Really, I dislike the lack of stems in the "da". ]

--jhawk

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-07-2006 10:09 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heritage thrown away....at a cost of millions! Another dumb move by a major American company. (like the Att&T bell) Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-07-2006 10:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its as bad as clear coke!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2006 11:23 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know if you look at the new one long enough, it looks like it's saying "Kooek". [Smile] I'm not one who has a font fetish like some, but in this case, the font looks foreign to me (in that the spelling looks like it's Russian or Czech or some Eastern Euro country) and just doesn't look like Kodak at all. [thumbsdown]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-08-2006 12:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, the new logo sucks. The old logo may be a little dated, but it IS branding that everyone is familiar with and is a superior logo than this weird concoction.

(Sorry John)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-08-2006 02:09 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its as bad as clear coke!

..or "New Coke" of 1985?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-08-2006 03:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new logo seems totally "uninspired"...not something one would want in a "logo"...in fact it doesn't have a "logo" feel to it. As someone else noted...a good logo should convey the company, even if the company's name is not on it. Like Dolby's double-D...you see those Double-Ds and you know it is Dolby.

For me, I could never see Kodak's "classic" logo without thinking of a Super-8 film cartridge...perhaps that was one of the problems.

Then again, I think Dolby has fussed way too much over its logo over the more recent years. There was Dolby System, then Dolby Stereo and then just Dolby, with a box without a box all caps and caps/lowercase...who gets paid to keep changing something like that and do they really think that the cost of changing everything will be recouped in sales due to the new logo?

Logos should identify the brand in a unique way such that one instantly identifies the company when they see it. That is all it really has to do and you are better off not messing with it once that is achieved unless it really somehow dates you out of your present technology. The traditional Kodak logo doesn't do that...it is a timeless piece and only one company I know has a logo like it. What they've done is a bad move and a waste of money and time, if you ask me (and they didn't).

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2006 03:50 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you stare at the new logo for a while, it starts to look like some strange foreign writing.

I don't like it. [thumbsdown]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-08-2006 10:03 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve has it exactly! Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: