Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 78th Academy Awards host announced: Jon Stewart (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 78th Academy Awards host announced: Jon Stewart
Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 04:29 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from Oscars.org

brief summary: Jon Stewart will host the Oscars on March 05, 2006 ... this will be his first time as host.

==~=~==

from the link above:

quote: A.M.P.A.S.
Beverly Hills, CA — Jon Stewart has been set to host the 78th Academy Awards telecast, producer Gil Cates announced today. This will be Stewart's first stint as Oscar host.

"My wife and I watch him every night," Cates said. "Jon is the epitome of a perfect host — smart, engaging, irreverent and funny."

Academy President Sid Ganis echoed Cates' enthusiasm. "I'm very excited," he said. "Stewart is a superb choice — witty, current, intelligent and charming. What a terrific addition to our roster of great hosts!"

The host of Comedy Central’s multiple Emmy- and Peabody- winning "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart," Stewart has transformed “The Daily Show" into one of America’s most influential and popular television shows. Stewart and the writers of “The Daily Show” also authored America (The Book): A Citizen’s Guide to Democracy Inaction at the end of 2004. The book, which was recently awarded the Thurber Prize for American Humor, was a staple on The New York Times best sellers list for 46 consecutive weeks, including 15 consecutive weeks in the #1 position.

"As a performer, I’m truly honored to be hosting the show," said Stewart. "Although, as an avid watcher of the Oscars, I can’t help but be a little disappointed with the choice. It appears to be another sad attempt to smoke out Billy Crystal."

Stewart has appeared in several motion pictures, including "Death to Smoochy," "Big Daddy," "The Faculty" and "Playing by Heart."

Prior to taking over "The Daily Show" in 1999, Stewart's television credits included a one-hour HBO comedy special, "Jon Stewart: Unleavened," and a recurring role as himself on HBO’s series-within-a-series, "The Larry Sanders Show." He also hosted "The Jon Stewart Show" on MTV, which went on to be nationally syndicated.

Stewart has recently been featured on "Oprah" and "60 Minutes."

The ceremonies honoring 2005 achievements in motion pictures will be held on Sunday, March 5, 2006. The 78th Annual Academy Awards Presentation will be broadcast live from the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland by the ABC Television Network, beginning at 5:00 p.m. PST.

|  IP: Logged

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope he doesn't feel obligated to launch into some over-long routine about his current specialty: Politics. Jon Stewart's a really funny guy. If he can keep the focus (no pun intended) on movies then he'll be the best thing to jazz up what promises to be boring television.

Last year's host, Chris Rock, seemed to feel obligated to spending too much time on his specialities: Racism and Politics. And it was amazingly dull. The most entertaining thing about it was watching the nervous crowd of rich-and-mostly-white Hollywood types not knowing quite how to react. ("No, please, Chris. Stop talking about the Wayans brothers and talk about George Bush some more!")

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-06-2006 09:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's Jon Stewart?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-06-2006 10:04 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Stewart is the host of "The Daily Show" on the Comedy Channel:

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/index.jhtml

quote:
JON TO HOST OSCARS Guess who's hosting the 2006 Academy Awards? It's The Daily Show's Jon Stewart!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 10:12 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should bring back Conan O Brien! OR did he even host the Oscars?

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 02:21 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Conan never hosted the Oscars.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 02:34 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did he host then, it was something big ( I mean, it wasn't the Blockbuster awards or anything) as I recall.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 03:56 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it was the Emmy Awards.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-06-2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
Jon Stewart is the host of "The Daily Show" on the Comedy Channel
I thought Carson Daily hosted the Daily Show. His name is Carson Daily, after all.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 08:27 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, you're thinking of Craig Kilborn.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2006 10:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should just re-run an old Johnny Carson Oscars show that night taped back in the early 70's... no one but no one can save the oscars show ever again [Roll Eyes] .

Mark

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 10:54 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know... Chevy Chase did a good opening when he called everyone phonies.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-06-2006 11:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Phil Hill should host the Oscars.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2006 11:16 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I SECOND THAT! [Big Grin] [thumbsup] [beer]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 01-07-2006 03:48 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Boy! Here we go again! Yous are a laugh-a-minute.

Both of yous are too funny and should be on a STAGE!

(There's one leaving in 20 minutes...get on it!) [Razz]

[ 01-08-2006, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: