Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Most Shocking, But Now Favorite Movies... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Most Shocking, But Now Favorite Movies...
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-29-2005 04:13 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I was totally "shocked" at some films when I 1st saw them. But over the years, many have become my all-time favorites. Some in that catagory for me that come to mind:

"Blazing Saddles"
"Porky's"
"Fast Times at Ridgemont High"
"Eating Raoul"
"The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (1974)

and of course

"Animal House"

What are some of yours?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 04:59 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An American Werewolf in London (1981)

Paul Verhoven's The Fourth Man

Quentin Tarantino almost always gets a rise out of me. I always dismiss him, then I see another one of his movies and he pulls it off. I was surprised from Reservoir Dogs right through Kill Bill.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-29-2005 05:14 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
  • Spoorloos (released in English as The Vanishing and subjected to a shitty remake under that title in the late '90s)
  • The Wicker Man
  • Le Salaire de la peur ('The Wages of Fear')
  • Shooting Stars (had a very downbeat ending for a major film with big names in it, and must have represented quite a risk for the studio)
  • Beyond a Reasonable Doubt - I've heard rumours that a remake is in production or will shortly be - if so will be only the second Fritz Lang film to be remade (Joseph Losey's 1951 remake of M being the first). Again, a film which drops the typical Hollywood happy ending, with Dana Andrews ending up in the electric chair.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-29-2005 06:16 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, "Spoorloos" was a great and intense film, and the US remake blew massively.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 08:06 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blue Velvet

I really did not like this film when it first came out, but some years later a friend convinced me to watch it again from the perspective that it is a comedy, not a drama. I've liked it ever since.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-29-2005 08:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Psycho" for sure.... I first saw it when I was about 9 years old.... [Eek!] [evil] [uhoh]

"Alien" Probably the most believable Science fiction film ever made.... When the guys stomach exploded! Boy Howdy! [puke]

"Fargo" for sure...... "Ah, hon, ya got Arby's all over me."

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-29-2005 10:07 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Rocky Horror" first run. The six people who saw it laft with question marks over their heads....like in newspaper cartoons. For some reason, later as a revival, it made a lot more sense and was a lot more fun. Louis

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 10:28 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alien
The Producers (Original version)
Monty Python's THE MEANING OF LIFE (Who wouldn't be shocked at Mr. Creosote!)

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 12:11 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Videodrome. When I first saw it (on video) many years back I couldn't get past the first exploding head. Now I think its farcical...

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 12:22 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
The six people who saw it laft with question marks over their heads
Reminds me of when I saw Naked Lunch. There were about 20 people in the theatre at the begining, and 4 (all part of my party) at the end. I don't think anyone got it. I always liked the film, so it does not count for this thread.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2005 09:36 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A big surprise for me was Three Kings.

I remember seeing the trailers in the theater and telling my wife that it looked horrible. Ice Cube? Marky Mark? It turned out to be one of my favorites!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-29-2005 10:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of any movies where I was just "shocked" and perhaps put off by a film, and then come around later to like it. There's plenty I've found shocking, but also liked right away.

Here's a few that rattled me good, but I really liked anyway.

"Alien"
"Deliverance"
"Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer"
"One False Move"
"Resevoir Dogs"
"Robocop"
"Trainspotting"

I'm sure there's more, but that's all that immediately come to mind.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-30-2005 03:28 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not easily shocked, and I can't really think of a film which meets the criteria for this thread. I couldn't say it's a favourite film, I've only ever seen a few clips from it, but 'Un Chien Andalou' would have to be on the shock list; the scene with the razor and the eye never fails to get a reaction.

There's also a scene, but I can't remember which film it's from, one of the Omen' ones possibly, where a large sheet of glass moves, and cuts through somebody's neck.

How about films which were supposed to be shocking, but when you saw them you just thought 'What on Earth was all the fuss about?' My nomination for that would have to be 'A Clockwork Orange'.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-30-2005 05:16 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Crash, The Last Temptation of Christ, Straw Dogs (not likely to be used as a promotional video by the Cornwall Tourist Board!); in fact practically every film which has ever caused a significant censorship controversy!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-30-2005 11:17 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) The Serpent and the Rainbow

The hero being buried alive in a casket full of snakes and blood is one of the scariest scenes I can remember in a movie.

2) Jacob's Ladder

I'm a big fan of Ambrose Bierce's Civil War stories. The plot line is modeled after An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge but with aspects of modern warfare thrown in for good measure.

Probably one of the freakiest movies I can remember.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: