Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Finally, a voice of reason about the "slump" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Finally, a voice of reason about the "slump"
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-27-2005 10:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Roger Ebert's "Movie Answer Man" at www.rogerebert.com :

The passion of the slump
December 25, 2005

Q. If this was such a great year for movies, why are box-office receipts so far down from last year, even though admission prices are at an all-time high? Do you feel that there is such a growing disconnect between Hollywood and America that Hollywood had better wake up or face serious consequences?

Cal Ford, Corsicana, Texas

A: No, I don't, because the "box-office slump" is an urban myth that has been tiresomely created by news media recycling one another. By mid-December, according to the Hollywood Reporter, receipts were down between 4 percent and 5 percent from 2004, a record year when the totals were boosted by Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ," which grossed $370 million. Many of those tickets were sold to people who rarely go to the movies. 2005 will eventually be the second or third best year in box-office history. Industry analyst David Poland at moviecitynews.com has been consistently right about this non-story.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 11:00 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A ticket sold is a ticket sold.... it's lame how people have to justify sales for The PAssion to mold their opinions on box office receipts. [Roll Eyes]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-27-2005 11:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is that the "box office" is still getting their asses handed to them by video games!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-27-2005 11:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the movie trailer for "Miami Vice" my first thought was, "great, we get to watch even more TV on the movie screen." Maybe that's another reason for the push to video projection. So many of the movies are really just blown up TV shows. So why not get rid of the film and just replace it with a big freaking TV set?

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 12:18 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebert is right...the slump is a myth...people have been crying about the death of the theatre since television. The theatres are still here 50 years later...

Let there be no doubt that for a lot of theatres, the "Passion" was a huge boost. At my theatre, its the largest grossing film I've ever had. It did almost double the #2 movie ever (Shrek 2).

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 12-28-2005 07:48 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the studios are doing so great, why are theaters doing so poorly "Movie Answer Man"?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 07:59 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why are theaters doing so poorly

Too many screens, all running the same film, and being forced to hold the film longer than it is profitable.

This is the problem with national "boxoffice" figures. They do not indicate how individual theatres are doing. Nationwide Average gross per screen for an entire year would be a more telling number to judge the trends.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-28-2005 08:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten replies from our customers that they are down between 7% and 24% for the year. I generally ask how things have been for the year when I'm on my service calls. It careens all over the place. Some continue to build.... closing gown older sites and replacing them with new cinemas in an effort to lure customers in and to make operations more efficient and cost saving. We have several customers who's groses are up, one of them is up 40%! This is in the gold mining area of the country though and since there is now a boom in gold again the population base is alot higher in those areas than it was.

I do think Hollywood is in a slump though and that its a big time slump. Anyone out there can easily recognize this because we have too much crap like "Miami Vice", and "King Kong" to contend with... a lack of originality is what it is, long inflexible run contracts, little to no profit from the film itself, and actors that think they're god. With conditions like this it becomes really disappointing for exhibitors in general. Lame actors & lame pictures = lame profits! There's no way around that. While theatre owners seemingly keep pace by overhauling themselves I feel its also time for Hollywood to do the same thing and become original again.

Mark

P.S. I never did agree much with Ebert anyway..... another case of he sits in his nice office, goes to the screening room and does his reviews, then tapes his shows.... Since Gene passed on he's become a burned out old movie critic that should retire and fade away. His show is dull and boring to say the least and it's worn out and to me just another phony part of the press. He doesn't get to see the reality side of the exhibition buisness that most of us get to see. Believe him if you want to but you'd also probably believe they are raising the Titanic next week as well.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-28-2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is now and have always been "cycles" in the business. Assume 5 directors (or studios, actors, etc). Some have a hit every 3 years, or 4 or 5. The industry as a whole will "win" when all cycles are positive and be "lose" when all cycles are negative. If you understand probability. It all makes sense.

It would help, however, if scripts were more intelligent and less derivitive. Louis

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 12:06 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a lack of originality is what it is,
Boy I couldn't agree more. Remake after remake, it's like the "writers" forgot how to be creative. Or maybe the creative writers have all died or retired or something.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talent has always been the rarest of commidities. I think we look back on the past with rose colored glasses. Only a handful of the thousands of old movies are remembered today.

I think the studios have always made "safe" pictures. They do not want to risk thier money on gambles when the alternative is to make a safe (yet crappy) sequel, remake, or genre picture.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Walsh
why are theaters doing so poorly "Movie Answer Man"?
A 9% downturn is not "doing so poorly." It's just a down year. If you're a NATO member, go get your Encyclopedia of Exhibition and look at the 30-year history and look at the up-and-down cycles.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-28-2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Fields
Talent has always been the rarest of commidities. I think we look back on the past with rose colored glasses. Only a handful of the thousands of old movies are remembered today.

Oh Matt... come on! There are thousands upon thousands of extremely talented people working in the film industry.... I can vouch for that since I spent alot of time working in it.

You can only remember a handful of old movies...... I can remember hundreds and I think many others here can as well. There were threads in the past pertaining to this sort of thing.... do a search for it to find those hundreds of titles, then you'll know.

quote: Matt Fields
I think the studios have always made "safe" pictures. They do not want to risk thier money on gambles when the alternative is to make a safe (yet crappy) sequel, remake, or genre picture.
Hahaha, There is a crapo movie called King Kong playing on screens now that will never recoup even its negative cost. Yea, this was one real original film.... ha....... There was another one called Waterworld.... Heavens Gate.... and so many garbage "B" movies that I can't even remember the title of one of them. I don't expect every film to be a landmark trend setting film but lets throw away the stupidness in films that seems to prevail. This is the sort of UNSAFE stuff thats ruining hollywood and film in general. Go ahead....bring digital projection on.... if there's anything left to show with it.....

Mark

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-28-2005 01:31 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two quick observations...

1. Why do we measure box office success by counting dollars instead of total ticket sales?

2. Why is "Passion" considered a film that "boosted" the box office? Why didn't he say that "Shrek 2" boosted the box office? It made 441 million. Or "Spiderman 2" which made 374 million? "Passion" only made 370 million. How about that God aweful "Troy" movie which had no business making 130 million dollars. Or "The Bourne Supremacy" which made 170 million. Why aren't they considered "boosts"?

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2005 01:36 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CNN's morning weather girls were spouting off about why King Kong hasn't done as well as Titanic...
It's the same general malaise that people who always expect everything to sell out & are surprised to find out that most people have better things to do than see the [bs] released this year.
The creative train in the movie world stops every other year or two to dump remakes & TV-show adaptations that are destined to fail. Hopefully next year they'll make that train run again. But people have unrealistic expectations for their movies. Their peers in focus groups tell Hollywood what they like & the studios plug in demographic-friendly elements to otherwise pale stories. Moreover, there's been less showmanship by studios & cinemas alike this year. There's probably more advertising & less lighting on screens around the country. And then all the fake-indie crap dumped into megaplexes but ignored by the real independent houses.

I couldn't justify a mere $8 for most films this year, so I've kept my mouth tight-lipped when patrons ask me if anything is a good film. I try to let the tone of my voice say more truth [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: