Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Does Technicolor restore trashed prints?

Author Topic: Does Technicolor restore trashed prints?
Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 04:43 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend and I posed that question to each other the other night. What does Technicolor do with the scratched/totall F-uped prints they get back in? Trash them or do they mix and match reels from other cans to make one good print? Let me know.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 10:39 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mix and match is no doubt one of the probabilities, anybody who runs older films has seen prints comprized of reels that were not originally together.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 12:01 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they do both, mix & match and Destroy.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 01:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..since film nowdays on polyester stock, which is a recyclable material.

That's why it's a good idea to shove as much of old trailers you have on the bench in the cans and send them back to the depots so that they can be recycled instead of heaving them in the trash can.

Benjamin J. Kepner
Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 01:54 PM      Profile for Benjamin J. Kepner   Email Benjamin J. Kepner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
That's why it's a good idea to shove as much of old trailers you have on the bench in the cans and send them back to the depots so that they can be recycled instead of heaving them in the trash can.

When you do this, does it matter which film company the trailers are for. Or do you generally try to throw the trailers for each specific movie in the can with the same movie?

I generally trash around 20+ pounds of trailers on any given week. It would be nice to not have to throw them all into the trash since the only company that sends me return labels anymore is Paramount.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-18-2005 06:14 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if you send back other distributors' trailers in a box with a Paramount label? Do they complain? [evil]

My preferred method for recycling trailers from first-run houses is to give them to smaller theatres that might play the advertised films someday. If I thought that returning them to the distributors would accomplish more than sending them to the shredder, I'd do that. I've worked in enough smaller theatres to know that those places have a hard time getting posters, much less other promotional material and I try to help them when I can. Of course, I keep my favorite titles and others which might be likely to reappear for repertory engagements at some point.

As for TES, they probably do whatever the films' owners want them to do--shred, rejuvenate for second-run and/or foreign distribution, or save for later engagements. Personally, I'd love to see them start charging theatres that damage film, but that doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon. [Frown]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-18-2005 06:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If trailers from any company comes in the cans for usage on the features, they can easily go back to the depots where they were put in the cans at the beginning.

I have done that also and now do the reverse: give discount houses new trailers and where I work in a discount house, I get my trailers from the first-run houses.

-Monte

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-19-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several points:

Technicolor does not open cans when they come back, only when they are going to go out for the next engagement. So sending back trailers in cans is not an effective way to have the trailers re-used. (It may be an effective way to have them recycled and eventually turned into car parts or plastic reels or cheap inkjet printers, etc.)

Scott is correct that what happens to prints is entirely a function of the studio, and what they want to pay for, probably on a per-title basis. In some cases, prints may be "rejuvinated" (a process which will remove dirt and some base-side scratches, but will not repair emulsion scratches). Or destroyed. Or have the best reels from several mediocre prints combined to make a few good prints.

--jhawk

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-19-2005 03:58 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although used prints can be "rejuvenated" by cleaning, "rewashing' or coating scratched support with UV-cured polymers, the cost needs to be weighed against the relatively low cost of making a new print. Indeed, for second run, the good reels selected from a few thousand used prints are usually enough to meet the needs.

Kodak offers print recycling services:

Kodak Print Recycling

quote:
Eric Rodli, president of Entertainment Imaging states, “This certification speaks to our
environmental policies …. It also sends a broader signal about the quality and capability
of our workforce. This is really important because FPC is a core part of our motion
picture business unit… a major component of Kodak’s ‘cradle-to-grave’ service and
support….” Last year alone, FPC recycled enough motion picture print film to reach
from planet earth to the moon approximately 2 ½ times.

[ 12-19-2005, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: John Pytlak ]

Benjamin J. Kepner
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2005 07:10 PM      Profile for Benjamin J. Kepner   Email Benjamin J. Kepner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often get so many prints of some trailers that they actually get thrown out unused. As for sending them to subrun houses, there is only one in town to speak of and we give them some (they often get them sent directly also). As an example of too many trailers sent to us, I have been sent in excess of 20 scope and 10 flat Brokeback Mountain trailers (no idea if we are even going to open this title) and also about the same with Pride and Predjudice trailers. All of those trailers were the same version, so trying to rotate in new versions wasn't even a possibility. I often get that many of more trailers from Sony, Fox and Paramount, but they are usually better at releasing more than one version.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: