Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Upload your random pictures (part 2) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 101 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  99  100  101 

Author Topic: Upload your random pictures (part 2)
Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2005 07:00 AM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-05-2005 04:48 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Taken at Pinewood Studios, near London, during production of The Red Shoes in 1947. The camera operator is Jeff Seaholme... assisted by a Technicolor colour consultant, perhaps?

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 05:42 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

A piece I used to own. The more you look at it, the filthier it seems. ewwwwwww. [Eek!]

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 09:06 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan--

What!? The 'ruler' or the 'bottle'? [Eek!]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-06-2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Lyons
A piece I used to own.
What happened to it? Radical surgery? [Eek!]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 01:41 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many ways to look at it! oh my! [evil]

I sold it. I needed money, and it took up too much wall space (20"x36" if i remember correctly)

That sign was a rare piece too, many prominant collectors had never seen that one before. Unfortunately when i sold it, USPS managed to break it in half according to the recipient.

Fortunately they paid my claim in full; USPS will insure antiques and artwork, where FEDEX and UPS will not. So if you're going to be mailing something valuable like film prints or antiques, keep that in mind.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-06-2005 02:17 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what you're talking about. A colleague at another English regional film archive had a 1934 16mm Dufaycolor reversal element deposited. That film contained footage of of a village which was later submerged by a reservoir built after the war. She scanned a few film frames, established that the film was incredibly unique, packaged the element up and sent it by Royal Mail special delivery (i.e. packages are barcoded and tracked, supposedly) to a lab in London for duplication. It never arrived. The Royal Mail lost it, and those scanned frames are now all we have from the film.

After hearing that story I will always telecine a unique (or suspected to be unique) film element before taking it to a lab, if I feel that it is in a good enough state to withstand a trip through our Rank Mk. II. At least if the worst happens, we'll still have the video. Then I take the thing myself to the lab. If it's nitrate I drive it, if not I usually fly. When I get to the lab I give them instructions that the dupe neg and digibeta (we usually can't afford to have a viewing copy made on film, though on some rare occasions we can) should be sent as a separate package, and only after we've acknowledged safe arrival should the original element be sent on. The lab I normally use (this one) knows the drill, and I gather that they now suggest this procedure to anyone else who sends them original elements for preservation copying.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2005 11:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now if you boys will just sit tight till we get this thing wound up.....

-

Emma Tomiak
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 02:00 AM      Profile for Emma Tomiak   Author's Homepage   Email Emma Tomiak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-16-2005 06:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boston University Bridge. This is apparently the only place in the world (?) where a boat, train, car, and airplane can be in vertical alignment.

-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-16-2005 06:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful B&W Scott!!!!!!!!!! Did you use a red filter on the lens..... Fill us in please.....

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-16-2005 08:58 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mark. No filters...I was pleasantly surprised at how well the sky came out without a red filter, actually.

I took that picture about two weeks ago (March 5) with a Yashica twin-lens reflex camera (sort of a cheap copy of a Rolleiflex) which I picked up recently. It was shot on 120 format (2 1/4" square) Tri-X Pan (not TXP) at f/16 and 1/500th (I think).

The print was made by a local lab. on Ilford paper and scanned on my el-cheapo Epson flatbed.

Here's another shot that I took on the same day:
 -

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 03-16-2005 09:35 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that really looks awesome, I love the contrast. Great job Scott! [thumbsup]

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 02:10 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures!

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 03:47 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice pics and all, but i'm sure there are many bridges with a car deck over a train deck. the one between sweden and denmark comes to mind. that one turns into a tunnel halfway so you could have either plane-car-train-boat or plane-boat-car-train. also, the bart transbay tube passes under the s.f. bay bridge, so you could have plane-car-boat-train there.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 101 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  99  100  101 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: