Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Favorite Chistmas Films... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Favorite Chistmas Films...
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-17-2005 12:57 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
My most favorites are:

"Bad Santa" (2003) The most disgusting, irreveralent, ***HILARIOUS***
Christmas movie EVER! My favorite!

"Christmas Vacation" (1989) Really funny and perfectly cast.

"A Christmas Story" (1983) My favorite "feel-good" Christmas movie that
tells-it-like-it-is!

"A Christmas Carol" (1938) This version IS ***THEEEE*** only one that is
worth watching.

"Miracle on 34th Street" (1947) Again, this is ***THEEEE*** only version
worth watching.

I'm soooo tired of seeing "It's a Wonderful Life" I could barf.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-17-2005 02:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad Santa

The Ref

Die Hard

Christmas Vacation

...in that order. All other Christmas movies are crap.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-17-2005 03:44 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
"A Christmas Carol" (1938) This version IS ***THEEEE*** only one
Eh, I like the 1951 version... "Scrooge", with Alastair Sim. He truly looks a miserable miser. [Razz]

I do like "It's a Wonderful Life", and "A Christmas Story".

Hard to say which one's my favorite, but those are probably the top three. If you're talking television, though, I'd put votes in for "A Charlie Brown Christmas", "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer", and "The Homecoming" (The Waltons pilot)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2005 04:09 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
I'm soooo tired of seeing "It's a Wonderful Life" I could barf.
Opened it yesterday evening. It usually does quite well, but this time it only got about seven in. It's just shown too much; I think it needs to be 'rested' for a few years, and then brought back. Nice print though, much better than the last one.

It's running one show per day 'til next Friday, then on Christmas Eve we've got just 'Wallace and Gromit' in the morning, and then one screening of 'Mrs. Henderson Presents'. Cinema, and indeed the whole complex then closes until Jan. 2nd, and I get a rest!

For a few months I'm doing two days per week of regular projection work. I've hat to re-arrange hours at main job to start earlier every day, and finish early on Fridays to do the projection job. That means I'm on one 15 hour day, two 12 hours and three 9 hours per week. Brings in lots of lovely money though, even after the tax man has taken his slice, which is much needed at the moment.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Everyone.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 12-17-2005 06:09 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation are required viewing. Definitely.

There are many reasons why any normal person would hate this movie, but I really liked Mixed Nuts. So, I'm not ashamed to say it. Madeline Kahn is priceless (and was still HOT) ... "Hey, DICKHEADS!" A suicide hotline service during the holiday season? Genius! "(rapping) I'm stuck in the elevator, help me please ..."

On a side note, I've NEVER actually seen It's A Wonderful Life. Sure, I've seen stills, clips, and quotes like anyone else living in this culture; but I've yet to see the film on its own. Don't care to, either.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-17-2005 07:27 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked the original "Grinch" (the animated short, not the recent feature remake). I don't know if this counts as film or TV, however. I've seen 16mm prints, but don't know if it was ever released theatrically.

I agree that "It's a Wonderful Life" is sort of played out, but it's still a good film. I think that Capra is (was) the only director who could make films like this that are actually good and not just cheesy.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 08:55 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas Story - Saw it in first run just before my son was born.

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol -- OK, on TV, but it was shot on film!

There is also a British short subject I would love to track down on DVD. It was a telling of the TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS. They guy shows up every day at his sweethearts house with the daily items. At the end, with the drummers drumming and maid's a milking in her house, she's ready to dump him NOW. A wonderful and subtle piece of comedy, as it truly shows how silly that song is. I believe it was a theatrical short.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-17-2005 09:24 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gremlins - it's the only Christmas film I know which offers a healthy dose of satire and isn't compromised by sickly sentimental BS. When I was a child I had a next door neighbour who was an exact South London equivalent of the hypocritical, vindictive landlord who meets her demise in the, err, 'modified' stairlift; so I've always had a soft spot for the film.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-17-2005 11:59 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've done "It's a Wonderful Life" Christmas eve and night for years. The customers start asking to be sure in October. All three screenings bring around 300 each. Last years single Christmas eve brought 600+. Organ sing-a-long accompanies.
"A Christmas Story" is one of my favorites. I always thought
"White Christmas" the movie, not the song sucked. "Bad Santa" is my irreverent favorite.

[ 12-18-2005, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas Carol 1951 (great year for creations) [Smile]
It's a Wonderful Life

Sorry but I get all seasonal this time of year

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2005 01:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Christmas Vacation" is my favorite. I love to say "Merry Christmas! Shitter was full!" every Christmas season, much to the dismay of my wife.

"A Christmas Story" is probably my second fave. "Polar Express" would be in third place.

I've never seen "It's a Wonderful Life," amazingly. I'm waiting for a chance to see it on the big screen. Since my life is so busy around the holidays (theatre + retail), and I'm a bajillion miles from anyplace that would ever show it, the chances are pretty slim at best.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-17-2005 02:12 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen "It's A Wonderful Life" either for some reason.

Does "A Charlie Brown Christmas" count? If so, add that to my list. I think everyone will probably agree on "A Christmas Story", "Christmas Vacation". For me, you can add "Home Alone", and "Planes Trains & Automobiles."

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-17-2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed on "Planes, Trains." But, you can't count it because it's a Thanksgiving movie.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-17-2005 02:41 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH, OK... But it's all the same to me. [Big Grin]

Next you'll be telling me "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" doesn't count either! [Wink]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I may expand the thread and inquire as to what Christmas episodes of popular TV shows they like the best?

My all time fav has to be in either the third or forth season of "Married With Children". The one where the mall santa has a parachute malfunction and crashes (and dies) in the Bundy's back yard. That one is classic. [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: