Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Textbook Take On Cinema

Author Topic: The Textbook Take On Cinema
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2005 08:19 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran across these while studying and thought they were interesting.

This one is from my Calculus textbook.

-

This one is from my Physics textbook.

-

|  IP: Logged

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2005 08:58 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I'm going to see people walking into the theater and firing up their graphing calculators...

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 12-10-2005 05:19 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, we have to start a new policy on theatre installs and such, where we calculate all that beforehand, then put a big sign over the single, prime location seat in the auditorium, for every auditorium. That way, EVERYONE in an auditorium knows who is seeing a better presentation than they are, and that person is special. Since that seat, in the case of non-designated seating, is first-come-first-serve, there will be people camped out for every movie, every day. It will be awesome.

I remember being part of a science project back in high school, where we experimented with the photoelectric effect. We basically transmitted sound across, not a wire to a speaker, but by flashlight to a photocell, which then went to an amp and speaker (or something like that ... don't remember our setup). It was really cool, and magical, and we were all thinking of the possibilities. Who knew, a year later, when I started projection, that someone had already pioneered on the idea. The exciter lamp and analog soundtrack astounded me. The quality of sound capable by that means FAR outshadowed the fidelity of "flashlight sound"!

Ooh, Chapter 38 Early Quantum Theory! The electrodynamics of light kicks ass (or do they, plural, kick ass?)! Richard P. Feynman's book, "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" was a great read!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-10-2005 07:55 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we calculate those "perfect" seats; we could color code them with red velour (& prob charge extra).

At the Memphian Theatre (Memphis Tn) they did this with the seats Elvis always sat in. No one was allowed to sit in those 2 seats. (not meant to be a big-Elvis joke.) Louis

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2005 10:26 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
"Gentlemen:

As the new owners of the Memphian Theatre, you will continue to keep my usual two seats empty.

Also, Christine Daae must sing the lead in tonight's opera, or the cheesy clock supplied by the local auto dealership will come crashing down upon the audience.

Yours truly,

Elvis ... I mean, The Phantom."

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2005 08:08 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny this comes up. I have an exam in that class tomorrow and that is one of our probs...fun calc...hehe

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-17-2005 07:43 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
(not meant to be a big-Elvis joke.)

HAHAHAA! That's pretty good, Louis. I didn't initially make the connection. [Smile] [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: