Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cadillac 5 Photos (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cadillac 5 Photos
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 06:34 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bite... What's going on in the non-film pictures? Specifically the ones from the law office down?

I almost forgot the days of single side aisle configurations. Not since my early days have I been in that slender of an auditorium!

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 12-06-2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pictures contain clues about a crime and hidden treasure. If you put all the information contained in the pictures together, it will lead you to the place where the treasure is.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lol yes Michael a grim crime, This is the theater that I used to work at before I moved out west. Brad was supposed to send me a link to give all the pictures captions, but I never received it. If you have any questions on it I can answer them or Richard Shults (The assistant at the theater) can answer them for you.

Steve-

The pictures after the work bench are of the old office's that sit behind booth they now act as storage rooms...in the last picture with the work bench on the right side you can see where the door is at, just barley. The steel ladder shot goes up to the crawl space that sits above the two screens that are shown in the above pictures. You can look down through the ceiling and see the people watching the movie, kinda creepy and scary. The picture with the coats is our basement/office where the staff punch in and hang coats.

Next two are the old wall safe from back in the heyday of the theater.

The next 4 are the tunnels in the basement that were for restrooms and for the valdville shows/theater staff back in the early years of the theater.

The last five are from behind the screen in theater number 4(the largest screen/theater) This is the old stage from the original theater when it was a stage theater.

any other questions let us know

Brad Bridges
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for Brad Bridges   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Bridges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old are those pictures Kurt? I know at least based on picture of the sound system in #3 and of course the DVD box that hasn't been there in a while. Also, the old portholes on 4 and 5.

Oh and the lobby pictures are quite old. I didn't notice those right away.

-Brad

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 07:49 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, they can't be that old, being as there is a WOTW standee in the lobby.

Brad Bridges
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 07:50 PM      Profile for Brad Bridges   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Bridges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably mid summer or early summer. Actually since Kernal Korn (Inflatable piece of corn) is in the lobby, I am changing my guess to spring.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 08:32 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brad great to see you joined up...those were taken in May...I want to say it was a week or so before Star Wars but I'm not for sure, real close to that time though, end of April early May

Welcome aboard Brad

Richard Shults
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 09:17 PM      Profile for Richard Shults   Email Richard Shults   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
Specifically the ones from the law office down?
If the picture with the real estate office was a little more to the right, you would be able to see a spot in the wall where there used to be a stairway leading up to these offices so people could go up from the street. The person who used to own the Lyric Theater (the Cadillac 5 pre-1978 when Goodrich bought it) rented them out to the public. The building originally opened in February of 1918 as the Lyric so it's been around for a long time as a stage and movie theater/office space.

The seventh row down, last picture shows a "back stage" area and if you look closely above the curtains you can actually see the remnants of the old stage that they used for the plays.

The Lyric also used to have a gorgeous balcony and according to an article in the paper used to be able to seat approximately 800 people before it was twinned and then added on to.

The building is full of history and it's really interesting to me at least to learn about it. We've been in Cadillac for almost 90 years so it's really interesting to see photos of the theater as it and the town have evolved.

I still haven't found the treasure though. Unless you count the suitcase I found once.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 09:27 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, Richard.

My theatre sits on the historic Main St. of Minneapolis, so we have some very old structures in our complex as well.

What of the original auditorium accounts for the multiplex as it stands now?

Richard Shults
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 09:45 PM      Profile for Richard Shults   Email Richard Shults   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original Lyric Theater was divided up into our theaters number four (2nd row, 2nd picture) and five (2nd row, third picture). The twinning accounts for the longer rather then wider design of auditorium five. Auditorium four is only slightly longer then it is wide if my memory is correct. The twinning happened in 1978 I believe. In 1995 he bought the building next to the theater, tore it down, and built our other three auditoriums.

Regarding the aisles, Theater Four used to have an aisle right down the middle of it with a row of chairs on each side. Theater five has always had the one aisle down the side.

I believe the pictures were taken in May by the way. Guessing from the fact that we had XXX2, Hitchhikers Guide, Interpreter, House of Wax, and Kingdom of Heaven, which all came out by or on May 6th. We don't have Monster in Law yet, which we did get. So, Considering that the Star Wars poster is still in the "good movies spot" instead of in the "starts Friday" spot I would guess that the pictures were taken in the second week of May. I thought waaaaaayyyy too much about that.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 09:48 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<EDITED OUT>

Rich beat me to it [Smile] How you doin bud, good to see you posting

Brad Bridges
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 10:13 PM      Profile for Brad Bridges   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Bridges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You did a little bit more work than I did figuring out that date. I didn't even think to look at what posters were on the outside of the building.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-07-2005 12:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, I wonder when those pictures were taken?

quote:
CADILLAC 5
Cadillac, Michigan

May 2005 photos from the Brad Miller collection.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-07-2005 01:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice collection. You are a collector, like me. Except I do not collect theater pictures without descriptions. Instead I collect dust.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2005 06:37 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Blue: outline where original fly floor sandbag loading catwalk was attached.

Yellow: original curtain warmer

Red: well in grid for original lines to take the grand in & out

Green: after moving to films exclusively, forced air heating was installed & a fan hung from otherwise unused grid; later, firewall pierced for forced air HVAC.

Winner 2nd Place 2005 Theatre Rat Competition. Points witheld for lack of photos of attic to see if there's still a winch for a chandelier up there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: