Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » return videotapes heads out or tails out? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: return videotapes heads out or tails out?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-04-2005 02:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, videotape. I know that this is a film site, but surely there are others here who have to present video programs from time to time at festivals or other events. I've done several of these shows lately (mostly from Beta SP, sometimes Digi-Beta or HDCAM).

I "inspect" tapes by rewinding or fast-forwarding through the tape, stopping occasionally to check sound quality and make note of the program-start and program-end timecode values. As such, I prefer that the tapes arrive not rewound, since it makes the inspection process faster.

This, then, begs the question of whether or not there is (or should be) a general consensus about how to return videotapes after screenings. To date, I have returned them as they have arrived (usually rewound), but I don't know if this is how the distributors (or other theatres) prefer them to be returned.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-04-2005 02:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The places I worked at in Broadcast TV everything was always shipped back out heads up, this included all formats from 1/2" up to 2" Quad back then. VTR's rewind tape with much more even tension than film would be wound. In fact tape is wound with the same tension in either direction if the VTR is operating peoperly so weather its shipped heads or tails up is irrelavent. The only thing to watch out for is if your place has an SOP that specifies which way it is to be shipped.

Mark

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-04-2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that, if there is a policy from the place you borrow the tape from, you should return wound the way they want it. However, in my opinion, the best way to rewind video tapes is not to rewind them at all.

As magnetic tape sits in storage, the magnetic particles in the layers of tape lying next to each other in the roll tend to have a mutual demagnetizing effect. Thus, after a length of time, the tape will naturally erase itself just by sitting in one place for a long time.

If you take your video tapes out of storage every once in a while and rewind them you reshuffle the orientation of the layers and prevent them from affecting each other.

Taken to the logical extreme, that means that the best policy for preserving your video tapes is to leave them in whatever random position you happen to stop the tape in when you're done with it.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-04-2005 05:45 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I always store my quad video tape tails out and emulsio...errrr I mean magnetic layer out.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-04-2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I return tapes to Blockbuster, I do not rewind them.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-04-2005 06:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..kinda goes along for analog "open reel" tape as well - tails out during storage and on occasion, rewind them to prevent the "print through" that can happen.

..and bake them once in a while..-to drive out the moisture to prevent "sticky-shed."

-Monte

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2005 10:22 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always rewind my DVDs.

I do not like leaving cassettes anywhere but head or tail. Dirt and crud can get on the program area of the tape otherwise.

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2005 10:33 AM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is this "cassette" yous speak of??

I have heard also "laser disc"?

so confused!!

[Wink]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-05-2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce Hansen
Dirt and crud can get on the program area of the tape otherwise.
Keeping video tapes in their boxes then storing them on a clean, dry shelf isn't an option, then? [Wink]

Actually, yes, when it comes to video tapes that I want to keep for a long time I do keep them in either head or tail position. I just have to remember to take them out and exercise them every once in a while.

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find that if you forward a tape a rewind a tape before you watch it, the tape will track much better.

This may be because of deferent tape paths in the players.

So I would say that when you return a tape return it un-rewound.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2005 03:38 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
As magnetic tape sits in storage, the magnetic particles in the layers of tape lying next to each other in the roll tend to have a mutual demagnetizing effect. Thus, after a length of time, the tape will naturally erase itself just by sitting in one place for a long time.
I don’t know where you got this, but I have never ever seen this effect ever, and I handle a great deal of old videotape. In fact, last year, a woman I work with brought in a 2” quad reel that contained an episode of Play Your Hunch, a game show that aired in 1959, just three years after videotape was first introduced. The episode featured her then very young son, and she wanted to know if it could be dubbed to DVD. We cleaned the tape to remove a little loose oxide, racked it up on an Ampex AVR-1, and it played almost flawlessly, with just a little bit of timing error here and there. The tape had been in storage in her closet for 45 years. In fact, when the Game Show Network channel first started, I was in touch with a buddy who was transferring a lot of the old Goodson-Toddman shows from quad to digital. He reported that the vast majority played back with no problem at all, and certainly weren’t erased with the lapse of 30 to 40 years time.

So, how long does a tape have to sit before it erases itself?

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2005 08:09 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
Keeping video tapes in their boxes then storing them on a clean, dry shelf isn't an option, then?
You've never worked in television, have you? [dlp]

Just like film, tape will last a long time, if you treat it right, and store it correctly.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-06-2005 07:48 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some video rental companies used to put labels on tapes: "Be Kind, Rewind". But I agree that for long term storage, a tape is likely to have a better wind when it was wound to tails out in the "play" mode, rather than fast rewind to heads out.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2005 01:13 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhat off topic here, I have a laserdisc of BOZO cartoons. (And, they are probably the WORST cartoons I've EVER seen!) that is just a dub from the tape master. At the end, Bozo helpfully reminds us to "Be sure to rewind!"

As for old audio tapes, my dad has some paper backed tape from around 1950 (this was the standard before plastic tape and after wire recorders) that still play just fine. Standard 1/4" format with a gray paper front and a black magnetic back. Most are on 5" reels.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-06-2005 11:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

My explanation wasn't very good. Monte used the word Print-Through which is a much better term for what I was trying to describe. I couldn't remember the exact word.

I agree with you that magnetic tapes probably wouldn't spontaneously erase themselves without outside influence but I have witnessed print-through in old audio tapes that made the recording sound so bad that it was, in effect, erased.

Still, you'd have to admit that, with the difference in in the quality of television between 1960 and the year 2000, if there was degration in the tapes for whatever reason it might very well go unnoticed if it wasn't pronnounced.

quote:

Print-through
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
Jump to: navigation, search

Print-through (sometimes referred to as bleed-through) is a generally undesirable effect that arises in the use of magnetic tape for storing analogue information, in particular music.

The close proximity of layers of tape on the spools of a cassette or reel to reel tape causes a weak imprint of magnetic information to be transferred to adjacent layers, effectively shifting a copy of the signal backwards and forwards along the tape. This can sometimes be heard as pre- or post-echo. Thinner tapes are more prone to the effect than thicker tapes, and tapes held in storage for a long period or exposed to a weak magnetic field can show pronounced print-through. Digital tapes are not affected in the same manner as the imprint is generally too weak to change the state of bits recorded on adjacent layers of the tape.

Print-through is actually used to mass-record prerecorded audio cassettes. In the duplicator, an endless loop of the source tape is forced into close contact with blank tape and run across a "print-through head" in which a weak AC high frequency sinewave is used to transfer the information to the blank tape without erasing the source tape. This permits the tapes to be run at very high speed, speeding up production. However, audio quality using this method is not as good as when the signal is directly recorded onto the tape.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: