Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Handicap Parking (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Handicap Parking
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2005 02:28 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I am staying at an Extended Stay hotel. The entrances to the rooms are outside. There is parking all the way around the building, with 3 "walkways" to get to either side. In the front where I need to park are 8 handicap spots. I have only seen 2 cars parked in these spaces. I had to pull in the back, and I parked next to a minivan. On it's sliding passenger side door was a big sticker that said please park at least 8 feet away, because it is a handicap van with a wheelcair lift inside the side door. There are no ramps in the curbs at the back of the hotel.

What would you do? Leave 2 spaces between them and you, or ignore them? The handicap spots in front take up about half of the parking, and like I said the majority of them are always vacant.

Not a big deal, I parked about 50 feet away, but it is one of those WTF questions.

Rick

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-04-2005 03:25 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd figure the handicapped person wasn't around and the driver was off duty or something. I'd try to park away if possible, just in case, but I wouldn't worry too much about it if I couldn't. If they need the space, they should be using the one(s) reserved for them.

Handicrapped toilets are a similar situation. A lot of people don't realize the stalls are just wheelchair accessible, they're not reserved. I go straight for them. And I've yet to see anyone in a wheelchair waiting to get in. In fact, I can't say that I've ever SEEN a wheelchair in a public restroom.

I have to wonder about these laws, though. In one truckstop I frequent, they have wheelchair stalls in the upstairs restrooms!

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they are handicaped then they should park in the handicap zone. We can't park in their spot, so they shouldn't be able to park in ours! Just Kidding.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2005 10:27 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I don't get is, the sign on this vans window says please dont park within 8 feet of the side of it. So if they really park in a handicap spot, does this mean they should expect no one to park in the spot next to them? Even if the next spot is a handicap, there isn't 8 feet between the spots. If I park 8 feet away, then I am taking up 2 spaces and I become the asshole [Big Grin]

Tim, I had to meet a salesman at a theater one morning about 15 years ago. They claimed that all of the signage had to have braile on the signs by law. I basically told them BULLSHIT! what will they do, walk around the theater feeling the walls until they find a sign? I don't think so, they would come with someone, or they would ask for help. I also told him in all my years, I never saw a blind person come to see a movie! (no pun intended). I was not making fun of blind people, I was just being a smartass to a salesman trying to take advantage of a situation that in my eyes was unreasonable.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 12-04-2005 11:48 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, they're beginning to restripe the handicap parking spaces here to provide wider access. Basically a space about as wide as a pedestrian walkway now has to be on the right side of each handicap parking spot. The feds are being really slow about mandating this change, to minimize the impact on the properties that must provide those spaces.

Same thing goes for the ongoing conversion of all public sidewalks to be wheelchair friendly. All new construction of curbs and all existing curbs at crosswalks must eventually provide ramp areas for wheelchair access. Again, it's going very slowly in the established neighborhoods but with each passing year I see more and more street corners converted over.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-04-2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think braille signs are stupid too, but it is required on restroom signs by the ADA. I guess the thinking is, a blind person might be able to find their way to the rest room area just by being directed by someone or being familiar with the building, but often the two restroom doors are side by side so having the braille signs makes it easier to use the correct door.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-04-2005 12:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Handicapped parking spots here are extra-wide to accommodate vehicle chairlifts.

There's a new federal courthouse being built in Eugene, a major deal here. During the planning stage, there was a huge public debate over wheelchair access. The main public entrance will sit kind of high due to site requirements, so it isn't going to be easily accessible to wheelchairs. No problem - The GSA proposed an elevator on one side of the building for wheelchair users. That fully complies with ADA guidelines.

Not good enough! It's demeaning to wheelchair users if they can't use the front door! Advocates for the handicapped demanded and got a L-O-N-G gently-sloping switchback ramp in front of the entire building. I mean like 800 feet of sloped ramp or some crazy thing.

On those 98 degree summer days, or when it's cold and raining, what wheelchair user is going to push themself up 800 feet of open-air ramp when they could use the elevator? Duh?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2005 01:32 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to sound mean or sarcastic, but if a blind person went into the wrong restroom, would it really matter?

My first public restroom experience in China was at a local bar. They only had 1 restroom. I walked in and noticed a girl following me in. There were only 2 stalls, so I hesitated, and she just walked right on into the first stall. Not a big deal. I guess it's just the culture you are raised in.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-04-2005 01:53 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago in Germany I went in to the men's room and my mother into the ladies room. When inside, there was no dividing wall between the two. Apparently there was only one room originally; later the men's room door was cut in alongside the women's when tourists had "an issue." Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-04-2005 02:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere I have the sign to the old GCC corporate screening room (pics are in the gallery); it said "Screening Room"--complete with braille translation underneath! Really! [Smile]

Richard Shults
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2005 04:08 PM      Profile for Richard Shults   Email Richard Shults   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
I also told him in all my years, I never saw a blind person come to see a movie! (no pun intended).
We had a blind guy come to see "The Passion of the Christ." It wouldn't be that big of a deal if you speak Aramaic and Latin, though I doubt this guy did because he had his wife describe the movie to him as it was happening. Thankfully the auditorium of people (only about 20 or so) were pretty understanding because that would be a lose-lose situation if someone complained about it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-04-2005 05:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fielded a phone call from a do-gooder (on behalf of a large circuit). This person thought that "something should be done" so that the blind could enjoy a movie with their friends. They wanted me to start a discussion on a second audio channel for "description" which I knew had no future, at least in the short term.

With program audio already present, and with the second channel of description it occurred to me that we had reinvented RADIO; which is what I told her. Louis

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2005 06:50 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was managing a theatre in Mankato, MN ... there was a blind woman that came every week to see a movie. She walked with one of those "feeling" sticks. All you had to do was tell her what auditorium # she was in and she found it herself ... didn't want or require help from anyone ... not even to carry her popcorn.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-04-2005 10:05 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: hhot Ricky!
Not to sound mean or sarcastic, but if a blind person went into the wrong restroom, would it really matter?
Not unless they couldn't find the TP and felt around and "fingered" your face with their un-wiped hands...YUK!

That reminds me of when Helen Keller was at a party and the host asked: "What's the difference between a shower curtain and toilet paper?

Helen replied that she didn't know.

The host replied: "OH! SO you're the one!

I also agree with Mike and with the lady in his post. She ***IS*** really cool!

I get sooo sick and tired with ALL PC people and their spiels!

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2005 01:47 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wondered about those hand capacitance button panels in elevators with braille labels around them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: