Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Audio Teen Repellant (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Audio Teen Repellant
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-30-2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this on another forum I frequent and just had to share. [Big Grin]

quote:
Barry Journal
What's the Buzz? Rowdy Teenagers Don't Want to Hear It

By SARAH LYALL
Published: November 29, 2005 New York Times International

BARRY, Wales - Though he did not know it at the time, the idea came to Howard Stapleton when he was 12 and visiting a factory with his father, a manufacturing executive in London. Opening the door to a room where workers were using high-frequency welding equipment, he found he could not bear to go inside.

"The noise!" he complained.

"What noise?" the grownups asked.

Now 39, Mr. Stapleton has taken the lesson he learned that day - that children can hear sounds at higher frequencies than adults can - to fashion a novel device that he hopes will provide a solution to the eternal problem of obstreperous teenagers who hang around outside stores and cause trouble.

The device, called the Mosquito ("It's small and annoying," Mr. Stapleton said), emits a high-frequency pulsing sound that, he says, can be heard by most people younger than 20 and almost no one older than 30. The sound is designed to so irritate young people that after several minutes, they cannot stand it and go away.

So far, the Mosquito has been road-tested in only one place, at the entrance to the Spar convenience store in this town in South Wales. Like birds perched on telephone wires, surly teenagers used to plant themselves on the railings just outside the door, smoking, drinking, shouting rude words at customers and making regular disruptive forays inside.

"On the low end of the scale, it would be intimidating for customers," said Robert Gough, who, with his parents, owns the store. "On the high end, they'd be in the shop fighting, stealing and assaulting the staff."

Mr. Gough (pronounced GUFF) planned to install a sound system that would blast classical music into the parking lot, another method known to horrify hang-out youths into dispersing, but never got around to it. But last month, Mr. Stapleton gave him a Mosquito for a free trial. The results were almost instantaneous. It was as if someone had used anti-teenager spray around the entrance, the way you might spray your sofas to keep pets off. Where disaffected youths used to congregate, now there is no one.

At first, members of the usual crowd tried to gather as normal, repeatedly going inside the store with their fingers in their ears and "begging me to turn it off," Mr. Gough said. But he held firm and neatly avoided possible aggressive confrontations: "I told them it was to keep birds away because of the bird flu epidemic."

A trip to Spar here in Barry confirmed the strange truth of the phenomenon. The Mosquito is positioned just outside the door. Although this reporter could not hear anything, being too old, several young people attested to the fact that yes, there was a noise, and yes, it was extremely annoying.

"It's loud and squeaky and it just goes through you," said Jodie Evans, 15, who was shopping at the store even though she was supposed to be in school. "It gets inside you."

Miss Evans and a 12-year-old friend who did not want to be interviewed were once part of a regular gang of loiterers, said Mr. Gough's father, Philip. "That little girl used to be a right pain, shouting abuse and bad language," he said of the 12-year-old. "Now she'll just come in, do her shopping and go."

Robert Gough, who said he could hear the noise even though he is 34, described it as "a pulsating chirp," the sort you might hear if you suffered from tinnitus. By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.

Mr. Stapleton, a security consultant whose experience in installing store alarms and the like alerted him to the gravity of the loitering problem, studied other teenage-repellents as part of his research. Some shops, for example, use "zit lamps," which drive teenagers away by casting a blue light onto their spotty skin, accentuating any whiteheads and other blemishes.

Using his children as guinea pigs, he tried a number of different noise and frequency levels, testing a single-toned unit before settling on a pulsating tone which, he said, is more unbearable, and which can be broadcast at 75 decibels, within government auditory-safety limits. "I didn't want to make it hurt," Mr. Stapleton said. "It just has to nag at them."

The device has not yet been tested by hearing experts.

Andrew King, a professor of neurophysiology at Oxford University, said in an e-mail interview that while the ability to hear high frequencies deteriorates with age, the change happens so gradually that many non-teenagers might well hear the Mosquito's noise. "Unless the store owners wish to sell their goods only to senior citizens," he wrote, "I doubt that this would work."

Mr. Stapleton argues, though, that it doesn't matter if people in their 20's and 30's can hear the Mosquito, since they are unlikely to be hanging out in front of stores, anyway.

It is too early to predict the device's future. Since an article about it appeared in The Grocer, a British trade magazine, Mr. Stapleton has become modestly famous, answering inquiries from hundreds of people and filling orders for dozens of the devices, not only in stores but also in places like railroad yards. He appeared recently on Richard & Judy, an Oprah-esque afternoon talk show, where the device successfully vexed all but one of the members of a girls' choir.

He is considering introducing a much louder unit that can be switched on in emergencies with a panic button. It would be most useful when youths swarm into stores and begin stealing en masse, a phenomenon known in Britain as steaming. The idea would be to blast them with such an unacceptably loud, high noise - a noise inaudible to older shoppers - that they would immediately leave.

"It's very difficult to shoplift," Mr. Stapleton said, "when you have your fingers in your ears."

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-30-2005 08:40 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL - That's an interesting article for sure.

Now, if they can make a device like this that could be mounted on the rear of our cars so when some "street racer" with their pounding, drug and gang related "jungle" music comes behind us at an intersection, we can crank on our "mosquitos" to ear screeching levels to let them have a taste of their own medicine-in what we have to put up with outside of calling the police on our celphones and issuing complaints of this person behind us disturbing our peace.

-Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-30-2005 08:54 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Barry Manilow music had this same effect. (Like "Mars Attacks.") Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-30-2005 09:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this. I used to have an old computer monitor at work. Young women in the store used to comment all the time that there was this awful squealing sound coming from that monitor. I couldn't hear anything, but they sure could. For some reason, girls could hear it better than boys could. I have a new monitor now and haven't had complaints about it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-30-2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
I thought Barry Manilow music had this same effect...

LOL, Funny, you brought that up Louis, that I heard that one police station in a large city had a program with obnoxious kids and their loud music.

This was all court approved with violations of disturbing the peace to these kids.

They took a good bunch of the young violators, shoved them into a room and was "spoon-fed" a good dose of BM for a whole hour with him crooning on only a few of songs that constantly repeated itself and it was very LOUD - as LOUD as their pounding music was when they were apprehended.

If any of the young violators uttered any words, the duration would extend for another hour.

I heard that the tempers really flaired with some of these individuals who absolutely begged for jail time and heavy fines instead of having to be tortured in hearing BM. But, the order was that they remain in that room until the sentencing was completed-and it was to be carried out to the letter.

Some of those individuals stayed there all day and almost through the night and afterwards, they opted to sell their "boom-boom" cars real quickly since they didn't want to suffer through that torture again.

-Monte

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 12:49 AM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do all CRT devices make the high pitched noises they do?

I must still have good hearing since most CRT’s and dimmed incandescent light bulbs annoy me to no end.

quote: Monte L Fullmer
Now, if they can make a device like this that could be mounted on the rear of our cars so when some "street racer" with their pounding, drug and gang related "jungle" music comes behind us at an intersection, we can crank on our "mosquitos" to ear screeching levels to let them have a taste of their own medicine
They already have the nich in the market with audio senior repelent.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 12:56 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hegel

I must still have good hearing since most CRT’s and dimmed incandescent light bulbs annoy me to no end.

So true!! Even if a tv set is on in another room with the volume muted, I can hear it whining! I've noticed that I can hear this with all tv sets, new or old. weird. [Eek!]

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 02:20 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Noticed that too about CRTs when I was younger. But now in my 30's, the high pitched noise is less noticable.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 03:06 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Melbourne we play classical music at railway stations to ward off teenagers.

Regards Peter

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 12-01-2005 03:20 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hegel
15 KHz flybacks?

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 05:13 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am another person that can't stand the high pitched noise from CRTs.

Peter they play classical music here in Perth at the train stations. There was a newspaper artical about it, they said it was to keep people calm and stress free- some study found that apparently.

What is the best way to preserve my hi end hearing? Aside from not listening to loud music and having proper ear protection when operating loud equipment?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 12-01-2005 05:58 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cryonics.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2005 06:29 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2005_01/005415.php

Co-op, a chain of grocery stores, is experimenting with playing classical music outside its shops, to stop youths from hanging around and intimidating customers. It seems to work well. Staff have a remote control and “can turn the music on if there's a situation developing and they need to disperse people”, says Steve Broughton of Co-op.

The most extensive use of aural policing so far, though, has been in underground stations. Six stops on the Tyneside Metro currently pump out Haydn and Mozart to deter vandals and loiterers, and the scheme has been so successful that it has spawned imitators. After a pilot at Elm Park station on the London Underground, classical music now fills 30 other stations on the network. The most effective deterrents, according to a spokesman for Transport for London, are anything sung by Pavarotti or written by Mozart

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-01-2005 07:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim has it with the flyback...that is the whine in CRT based systems...in fact, if the set is showing a "black" screen it is even worse. When I was in college, I had to leave a lecture hall due to the horrible whine comnig from the monitors that were just showing black...it was truely painful. If memory serves...the flyback frequency is just over 13KHz.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 12-01-2005 07:16 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old people lose their hearing. Why is this so surprising?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: