Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I know right? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: I know right?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-28-2005 12:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, is this stupid saying popular only in the south, or is it everywhere?

Here is an example of such a conversation...
ME - The sound in that auditorium was phenomenal!
HIM - I know right? The bass was totally thumpin'.
ME - So what did you think of the movie? I thought it was great.
HIM - Yeah I know right?
ME - Ummmm, yeah. I'm going to have to give that one a second viewing.
HIM - I know right?
ME - Yeah, right, pretty cool?
HIM - I know right?
ME - I know right? (saying this at this point out of curiosity to his response)
HIM - I know right?

Is there something about this saying that turns someone into a brainless vegetable? What exactly is this supposed to mean anyway? I know people who can't make it through 5 minutes without saying "I know right?" at least 20 times. The whole 1980s overuse of the word "like" was bad enough. (Example - "I like went to like the store to like pick up some cool like fresh tomatoes like yummmmm.")

Where did this come from???

|  IP: Logged

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 01:07 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was managing in the Chicagoland area, I had an entire management team that used this constantly! For this reason I would not say that it is exclusive to the South.

Pop phrases are like fashion, Afros and most movies these days - they may go away for a little while, but they always find a way to be recycled.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-28-2005 01:21 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...kinda like saying "n'stuff" practically at the end of every other sentence.

I called it, more or less, a nervous, subconscious reaction - probably something like "baby blabber."

-Monte

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-28-2005 02:08 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard that one here. And I'm around lots of young people daily on five campuses.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-28-2005 02:10 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually when someone agrees 'round these parts it's just "I know!". We drop the "right" for sake of speed and efficiency. But we don't use it after every sentence we agree with. Other phrases we use in the same situation to mix things up are "Hell yeah!", "No shit!", "Oh totally!", and "I had sex with your mom last night".

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 02:22 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it hasn't made it east of Texas.

"Yeah you rite!" <- Louisiana
"A'ight now" <- TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL
"I hear you" or "I heard that!" <- midwest, southeast
"Uh huh" <- universal

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 02:37 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The kiddies who are into hard rock/metal around here like to say 'Thats SICK!' when something is good. [uhoh]

I have a bad habit of saying 'sweet', but not in a stoner 'Dude Where's My Car' type of way. And the oldie but goodie "cool". But thats as far as I go when it comes to slang terms. Probably because I'm not cool. [Big Grin]

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 03:38 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard it around here.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 04:15 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only place I heard it before was in the movie 'Mean Girls'.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-28-2005 04:45 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I've paid it much mind, but "I know, right?" is sometimes heard in these here parts.

I'm boggled at how much the "Valley Girl" use of the superfluous "like" is still everywhere in this state today. Or maybe it's just the OC. It was hardly an eighties thing.

Ooh, and how about the ever-popular two-syllable contraction of the query, "Do you know what I am saying?" I can't hear that one enough! Know'm'sayin'? [Roll Eyes]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 04:54 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be South Texas. I dont ever hear that phrase in the deep south.

KnowwhutI'msayn?

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 06:45 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in Atlanta since 1991 and have never heard that before. Spent a lot of time in Florida and don't remember hearing that expression down there either. On the other hand, I have heard...."I know that's right"....in Georiga for several years. Does that count???? [Wink]

Don

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-28-2005 06:53 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What really gets on my nerve is "I am not sure" or even worse, "I am not exactly sure". People say that here all the time.
What?
Yes or no?
Do you know or don't you?

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 11:17 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a definite distinction between knowing something "yes", not knowing "no", and having an answer/opinion/idea but not being sure whether it's the best response or not "I'm not [exactly] sure". Now, if the person is saying "I'm not sure" and then from the rest of the conversation it's obvious that it's just one of their "phrases" (in fact s/he IS sure, one way or the other) then ... yes I could see that being annoying.

As for "I know, right?" ... I remember that from my high school days (class of 1994 - in the Chicago 'burbs), but I can't say that I've heard it all that much lately.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 11-28-2005 11:59 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People use it all the time down here. My wife says it alot. Brad, are you calling my wife stupid? If you are, I'll let it slide until she walks up behind me one day reading this thread, then I have to defend her. Till then, carry on.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: