Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I'm In Los Angeles until 11/25!!!

Author Topic: I'm In Los Angeles until 11/25!!!
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2005 12:52 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I arrived here last night. I have few plans while here. I'll be checking here constantly while in town. Hope to get to see some of you locals at last!!!

For now, I'm in Sherman Oaks.

Send me email. I will answer!

This is my first time on a high-speed connection. Dial up really sucks.

Bruce

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2005 10:42 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Hollywood / Studio City / Sherman Oaks all week and heard nothing from anybody. I went and walked allover Hollywood with the tourists, visited Graumans, and stood in the stars footprints.

Too bad I didn't hear for anybody here.

Well, maybe in 8-10 years....

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2005 12:35 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's ok, Bruce, you know how those Hollywood folk are. Drop me a line next time you find yourself in Richmond!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-25-2005 03:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You are only 5 minutes from Phil Hill. You should go visit him!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2005 04:31 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I've been sniffing around trying to find him. I think everybody here knows him, but wont admit it. [Big Grin]

Erick Akers
Arse Kicker

- posted 11-25-2005 10:31 PM      Profile for Erick Akers   Email Erick Akers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man...
That's just just wrong!!! [thumbsdown]

You mean that, not one Film-Tech member got in touch while you were visiting?

When I saw your post, I figured our outstanding L.A. members would Step Up and give you a Friendly Welcome!!!

I thought you guys were much cooler than that!!! [Frown]
or am I wrong, and way off base?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-25-2005 11:56 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yo! Bruce. Two responces from Richmond and you're not here yet. No celebrities here but at least we'll talk to you. Got an old theatre too, got a movie studio a few miles down the road in Petersburg.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2005 10:48 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce--

You might want to stop by the Cinerama Dome and witness how Real
films are presented! It's quite a 'trip'

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2005 02:44 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... they charge you something like $12 a ticket and give you really bad sound.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-26-2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the "bad sound" part true for the original Cinerama Dome, too? I hope not. When I was last there (in February of 2000), it was the best-sounding theatre that I have ever heard, by far. And I've been to plenty of theatres with very good sound systems. Unfortunately, they weren't using the (orange) curtains when I was there and the brightness and image distortion were pretty bad. But the sound quality was awesome. Ironically, the sound quality at the Chinese was pretty horrible at the time.

I can recommend the Egyptian for having an excellent presentation, although everything I saw there (during the Technicolor fest) was mono, so I can't really compare the sound quality to anything else.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2005 03:14 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to live in that area Bruce ... it's been a year and a half though (so, no, I wasn't ignoring you).

re: Cineramadome

quote: Scott Norwood
But the sound quality was awesome. Ironically, the sound quality at the Chinese was pretty horrible at the time.
At the time I left LA (June 2004) this was sort of the opposite of what I experienced. Grauman's Chinese went through a total overhaul in 2001, and the improvements over what it was in 2000 were significant (I think the worst presentation I witnessed at the theatre was for "What Women Want" in December 2000). The sound in the Cineramadome was not as good (IMHO) as in the Chinese. Though I wouldn't call it bad, I was definitely left underwhealmed when watching The Return of the King there. $14 per adult ticket as of June 2004.

No argument about the Egyptian from me ... awesome theatre. I saw a tribute to ILM/Skywalker Ranch there, with clips from: Backdraft, Cast Away, Minority Report, Monster's Inc., Contact (among others) ... impressive sound [thumbsup] (Gary Rydstrom, Randy Thom and a few others were there for a Q&A afterwards).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: