Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Man sues over having butt glued to toilet seat.

Author Topic: Man sues over having butt glued to toilet seat.
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-11-2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to various news reports, Bob Dougherty, 57, of Denver, CO, is sticking to his story. He claims someone put glue on the toilet seat in Home Depot. He got his butt stuck and was trapped in the can for over 15 minutes despite pleas for help. After some wait paramedics arrived and unbolted the seat, which separated from Bob's skin leaving abraisions. He is suing for $3 million.

Wow.

I guess everyone has their price. But for $3 million, I'd glady let some people glue my ass to a toilet lid. Photograph it if you like. Even laugh at me and tell me I have a small pecker. $3 million will allow most people to put up with some insults. I'd even try to pull myself free. Abraisions on butt cheeks? Shit. $3 million will buy plenty of skin care products.

Dougherty took a polygraph test this week. Some other folks say he claimed his butt got glued to another toilet seat in another town. Ain't that some embareassingly bad luck? Bad enough to get caught with your pants down in that fashion just once, but twice?

Question. If you had to "pinch a loaf" in a public restroom and then found your butt was glued to a toilet seat what would you do? Would you call for help, as Dougherty did? Or would you peel away about 3 layers of butt skin trying to get out of there without letting anyone become aware of your humiliating situation?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-11-2005 10:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd do it for $1 million, as long as I can retain the movie and action-figure rights.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-11-2005 10:42 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the rumor is true this could be a scam. Otherwise maybe he'll think to first put down a tissue-paper butt gasket on the next public shitter he takes a dump in. [Smile]

I don't think I'd ever be that unaware of what I was about to sit on, even if the situation was dire and something was trying its best to ooze its way out of me. I'm not the suing type either, so I wouldn't know what to ask for, especially in a case like this. I'm quite used to taking responsibility for my mistakes or other dumb actions.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-12-2005 12:33 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite true because even transparent glue is quite visible. One should never just park one's ass on a public toilet seat without checking/cleaning it.
I think they should glue it back on and then send him running through the streets. In this way, he will at least perform a valuable public service by reminding people to check where they touch down.
I don't remember where (I think it was Jay Leno), I saw the clip from one news show in which they reported the story and the anchor lady almost had a stroke because she had to laugh so hard.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-12-2005 12:47 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it is a scam. The guy has a history of fraud and cool stuff like that. Booyah!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2005 12:56 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I dont get is, doesn't this type of glue dry rather quickly? And another thing, if it doesn't, the moment he sat down and felt some liquid on the seat, don't you think the logical (never mind the fact he didn't use tissue on it or that protective paper) thing would be to immediately rise up? I would assume there's room for a few seconds before you're bonded permanetly? I saw clips of this guy on CNN and he was stammering when they asked him about his previous arrest 28 years ago.. . he claimed he couldn't remember that, but the police sure have records of it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-12-2005 02:00 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if it IS true, and he sat on wet super glue, that stuff bonds skin immediately...there is no waiting period. Try a small dot of it on your fingertip and you'll be convinced.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2005 02:15 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like everyone else has said, this has scam written all over it...me personally, if I have to use a public restroom I'm wiping that seat down like crazy before I ever sit on it...if it looks even a hint like I can't "clean" it up before I go...I hold it and hope to hell theres another restroom close by that is clean.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-12-2005 11:29 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that. I have a reasonable fear of sitting down on public toilet seats. The tendency is to get some paper and wipe the seat down as best as possible before parking your butt on it. When you start scrubbing that lid with the paper, you'll be quickly aware that someone put glue on it. Normally, I'm just concerned about there being piss or even shit on the toilet seat.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Well if it IS true, and he sat on wet super glue, that stuff bonds skin immediately...there is no waiting period. Try a small dot of it on your fingertip and you'll be convinced.
That's true of super glue. But doesn't the stuff also tend to dry very quickly? The prankster would need to have miraculously lucky timing to apply super glue to the seat, leave the stall and then hope someone will use that particular toilet before the glue dries.

Really when you examine the logistics of it, it seems even more far fetched than movies using the notorious "fallacy of the predictable tree" stunt. Y'know that one. Bad guy is walking through the woods and stops under a tree. Good guy jumps out of that tree and beats the bad guy's ass. Out of all the trees in the forest, how did the good guy know the bad guy would stop under that tree?

I guess one could call Doughtery's story, "fallacy of the predictable sticky toilet seat."

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-15-2005 10:38 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if this isn't a scam and it actually happened, Home Depot & Lowe's (et. al.) would be the ideal place to pull off such a gag. There's an almost unlimited selection of adhesives to choose from.

Super glues would be the ideal choice. Unless you choose a gel type super glue it would harden in under a minute, thus rendering itself usless. Gel type super glues have a chemical in them to retard the curing action. I imagine it would take up to 5-10 minutes for some kinds of gel glue to harden.

My next choice would be a quick-set epoxy. But, again, the "open time" for such a glue would be less then 15 minutes.

All this means that the perpetrator of such a prank would have to have left the restroom only a couple of minutes before the victim. I would imagine that, if there WAS a perpetrator, he probably would have met him in the restroom! (Assuming that the perpetrator and the victim were not the same person.)

Basically, this means that it couldn't have happened as he says it did. Given a choice of 3-5 toilet stalls, would YOU go into a stall that you just saw some other guy coming out of?!

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2005 06:48 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This same thing happened to a guy in my hometown theatre back in the 70's. The stalls were so small in the old 1937 theatre bathrooms, they had to remove the stall walls so they could unbolt the seat. Then with all the comotion going on, the poor guy had to be helped out of the building through crowds of people in the lobby. [Embarrassed] The theatre owner voluntarily offered to pay the medical expenses and there was no law suit. But that was a small town in the 1970's when people weren't as sue happy.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2005 10:03 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can almost guarantee that Home Depot starts putting ass gaskets in the restrooms now. [Big Grin]

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2005 12:38 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My company got sued by a guy that burned himself with a cutting torch. He sued the clothing manufacturer, the torch manufacturer and us (our equipment was not even directly involved). His wife also sued claiming mental anguish since she couldn't have sex with her husband due to burns on his chest.

We later found out he had only been working at this company for five days or so and that the mistake was HIS fault. He even had a history of suing past employers in the same way. Regardless, our insurance settled out of court to save lawyer's fees. He even knew the right amount to make it not worth our while to fight for so we would settle out of court. I think he made $100,000 just off of us not to mention what he made from the other half dozen or so companies that he included in this lawsuit. This guy made his living by doing stuff like this and a very good living at that. Un-frickin-believable!

I like to think that these kind of people will get screwed someday too. Probably not though.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-20-2005 12:50 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to use public restrooms almost everyday, so I carry Wet Ones™ disposable wipes on my truck to sterilize toilet seats. I don't fully trust J.B. Hunt hats (toilet seat covers), and the wipes give me peace of mind, if nothing else.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: