Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sony puts malware on its music CDs. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Sony puts malware on its music CDs.
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-08-2005 09:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a security watch bulletin from PC Magazine that may make you not want to ever load any Sony or BMG music CD into a Windows PC ever again.

Linky

quote:
Security Watch: Sony CDs Make Your PC Play the Blues

Top Threat:Sony DRM
Executive Summary
Name: Sony DRM
Affects: Windows XP/XP SP2/2000/2003/NT

What it does: As originally discovered by security researcher Mark Russinovich of Winternals Software, certain music CDs published by Sony BMG Entertainment contain DRM protection requiring that the user must install a proprietary music player in order to play the songs. The player contains a rootkit (click here for a definition) as part of an effort to conceal the DRM and prevent its removal.

The DRM software and the rootkit were written by a First 4 Internet of the UK. The rootkit conceals all access to files and registry entries prefixed with the string '$sys$' in order to hide itself, but this behavior could allow other malicious programmers to hide their own programs by using the same file naming scheme. First 4 Internet and Sony deny that the system presents a security problem.

That's not the only problem with the First 4 Internet software. According to Russinovich, the software inserts itself into the CD-ROM driver stack in a way that a naive attempt by a user to remove it could result in making the CD-ROM drive unusable. Furthermore, many of the drivers in the First 4 Internet product are installed to run even when the system boots into safe mode, meaning that if a bug in the drivers interferes with the system or makes it unbootable, it could be very difficult to remove.

How to avoid it: Don't play Sony BMG music CDs in a Windows computer.

How to remove it: First 4 Internet has made a program available that removes the rootkit functionality for hiding the program, but does not remove the player or DRM protection. Sony does not provide an uninstall program, but does provide a web-based form through which you can ask for help uninstalling the program. Sony says that they will e-mail instructions for uninstalling if you fill out the form, but the privacy policy linked to on the form also says that filling it out will allow Sony and their partners to contact you for marketing purposes.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-08-2005 09:45 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet this was the work of some mid-level manager at Sony Music. "Hey, look what we can do! Heh heh!"

Incredibly stupid, and if Sony corporate has any sense they'll distance themselves from this immediately.

They probably won't though.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-08-2005 11:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, David. It was incredibly stupid. Especially stupid from an angle I just considered: it's accidental marketing for Apple products. Make customers scared of any Sony music label CD release as well as any of their BMG music club discs. Drive those customers into buying music from iTunes or even going so far as to buy a Mac. At the very least, it's another compelling reason to have a version of Linux installed on a PC.

Here's one thing that could seriously f**k up the works for Sony very quick on this thing: hopefully Symantec, McAfee and other anti-virus or anti-spyware vendors will quickly release blocks that prevent this Sony greed software shit from even working. When the CD refuses to play, there's a good chance lots of customers will take their infected CDs back to Wal-Mart and demand a refund.

I had a Columbia House music club membership that recently was tranferred to BMG when CH closed. Now I am seriously considering cancelling that membership, even though I have points built up for a number of free CDs. Even if they're free, the damned discs are a giant liability if they're going to infect your computer with malware.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-08-2005 11:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got stuck with one of these disks. Stuck it in the computer and it immediately wanted to install something, so I took it back out. First I tried to "rip" one of the songs into CD Architect but could not do it -- the file comes through, but plays with a loud buzz over the music. Bastards. I haven't heard if there's any way around this other than to do an analog rip through a sound card.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-08-2005 11:43 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so glad I have a Mac. Not only does this stuff not affect me in the least, but there is a program for the Mac (freeware) that will record any sound your computer makes and you can copy and e-mail and compress those files as many times as you want. Too bad Sony music sucks ass, so it doesn't even matter if I had a Mac or not.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-09-2005 01:26 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't even need the freeware -- supposedly these disks play fine in a Mac without any extra crap being installed. That's because they know that no actual music fans own Macs, I guess.

[Note to oversensitive Mac users: That was sarcasm.]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2005 01:28 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who buy music that Sony puts out are not music fans.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Sony and Macs, I've heard that Sony's DRM scheme (rootkit or no rootkit) may have been designed to prevent playing Sony BMG music on Macs and prevent transferring the music to an iPod regardless of which OS you use. In a way, it's kind of an underhanded [fu] to Apple, and Sony deserves a [fu] in return for it. [evil]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-09-2005 08:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait till Sony figures out BSD. There are rootkits out there that affect Macs too, such as this one from last year...

quote: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5424883.html?tag=nl
Mac users face rare threat
By Munir Kotadia, ZDNet Australia
Published on ZDNet News: October 25, 2004, 6:20 AM PT

* ZDNet Tags: Viruses and worms
* Mac OS
* Apple Computer Inc

A script-based threat that spies on Mac users caught the attention of some security watchers last week.

The malware, which has been dubbed Opener by Mac user groups, has the potential to disable Mac OS X's built-in firewall, steal personal information or destroy data. At the moment, however, it seems to pose little danger.

Security experts say those threatening traits are common among the thousands of online threats targeting Microsoft's ubiquitous Windows operating system but are virtually unheard of on Apple Computer's Mac OS.

Paul Ducklin, Sophos' head of technology in the Asia-Pacific region, said that the software, which Sophos calls Renepo, is designed to affect Mac OS X drives connected to an infected system and that it leaves affected computers vulnerable to further attack.

Ducklin said Opener disables Mac OS X's built-in firewall, creates a back door so the malware author can control the computer remotely, locates any passwords stored on the hard drive, and downloads a password cracker called JohnTheRipper.

Opener is a "rootkit," or a set of software tools that intruders can use to gain access to a computer; it's installed either through a known vulnerability or password-cracking. Rootkits don't spread on their own, as viruses do, and require administrator access to be installed.

According to Ducklin, Opener could try to spread by copying itself to any drive that is mounted to the infected computer. This could be a local drive, part of a local network or a remote computer.

It could also be the start of a spate of attacks that use Mac OS X’s scripting features against its users, he said.

"The existence of Unix shells--such as Bash, for which this virus is written--and the presence of powerful networking commands opens up the game a little bit for Mac users. It is no longer necessary to know about Mac file formats or executables. You can write your malware in script. And if you really wanted to, you could probably write a portable virus that would run on many flavors of Unix" and Mac, said Ducklin.

Chris Waldrip, president of the U.S.-based Atlanta Macintosh Users Group, posted a detailed description of Opener on the MacInTouch Web site.

Waldrip, who acknowledges that the threat has him "a bit spooked," said Opener seems to have started out with a legitimate purpose but may yet be developed into something more dangerous.

Waldrip's site also cautions against overreacting to Opener and advises people to use proper security techniques: "As readers take pains to point out, the threat has not yet been incorporated into a widespread virus, worm or Trojan horse, but that's a fairly short step from what we've already seen, and it's important to implement good security procedures."

Mikko Hypponen, director of antivirus research at F-Secure, said that viruses targeting the Macintosh system virtually disappeared in the late 1980s.

"Things have been really quiet on Macintosh front, virus-wise. Back in the late 1980s, viruses used to be a much bigger problem on Macs than on PCs. We here at F-Secure used to have an antivirus product for Mac but discontinued it after the macro viruses died out," said Hypponen.

Symantec said users of Norton AntiVirus for Mac OS X were protected as long as they had updated their signatures over the weekend. A representative for the company said the relevant signature files had been available since Friday evening.

Munir Kotadia of ZDNet Australia reported from Sydney.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2005 09:47 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Copyright law says that I have the right to make a copy for my own use. So, isn't this Sony crap a violation of copyright law?

If you turned the "auto start" off for your CD drive, would that stop this Sony crap from loading, and then you could do anything you want with the CD? (there was some key you could hit while loading a CD, and that would stop the "auto start" function from working. Was it the control key?)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2005 10:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Sony is feeling the heat from their extremely stupid, arrogant move. So now they're making a patch available to end users and to anti-virus software vendors. The patch won't remove the rootkit malware, it will just make the rootkit shit visible on your hard drive.

Major downside however. If you choose to uninstall the DRM software it will probably kill your CD or DVD drive.

Sony's cloaking methods to hide its rootkit are already being exploited for other purposes. Online gamers have made a hack using Sony's rootkit to hide cheat software from the "Warden" in World of Warcraft gaming servers.

And we can expect a hell of a lot of virus writers to try the same shit.

Sony ought to be slapped with a very expensive class action lawsuit.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-09-2005 10:16 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the "enter" key.
Up to XP you could disable autorun by turning it off in device manager, in the properties for each drive. XP doesn't have that choice in the device properties, you can disable auto insert notification system-wide in "group policies manager" but not many users even know that exists.
If you can't rip the tracks off a Sony disk possibly the DRM system is actually installed. My understanding is that it is installed without asking permission the first time a "protected" disk is inserted (if autorun is active). I don't know how you can make CD music data that a CD player can read but cannot be copied, I suppose it's possible though...
According to Sony, "content protection technology" has been on every Sony/BMG disk produced since April 1, 2004. They don't specify whether it has always been the First 4 Internet system that used the "rootkit" cloaking technique that the current furor is focused on. The problem is that this software makes any file or program with its filename starting with $sys$ completely invisible to the system; it is invisible in file lists, searches, task manager, etc.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2005 10:35 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Here is how to get around this and convert the audio on these "silver discs" (Philips, co-inventor of the CD, says that they're not really CDs on account of the malware. Yay, Philips!) into mp3 and other compressed formats for illegal file-swapping and other questionable uses.

Let's go shopping:
First stop is circuitcity, where for $12.99 you can own this CD player
What's that? You already have a CD player? Great! Save yourself a trip and some money.

Now we'll go to RadioShack (the ones around here are OK, some of you may want to take along a pointed stick, just in case (just watched Monty Python, so excuse me)) where we'll pick up this adapter and this cable.

Now connect them as per the following illustration (you may need to modify this slightly for your own setup).

-

You can now record any CD/Silver Audio Disc into your computer without fear of malware. The Disc itself never touches your computer.

(Edit: at some point I'll post a detail of the 1/8" plug insertion into the CPU)

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-09-2005 10:47 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most new music these days is shit. Most is not good enough for me to waste time listening to it, much less waste even more time downloading it for free or actually pay money to buy.

With that said, I don't feel like exploiting "the analog hole" to rip tracks from copy protected CDs. Why bother when the actual product is crap?

BTW, exploiting the analog hole also means introducing a generation loss in audio quality. May not matter if you're making MP3s with bit-crushing levels of data compression.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-09-2005 11:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you if I made an analog copy that you would be hard pressed to tell any difference by listening, Bobby. Maybe with a crappy sound card used for recording you could easily discern differences.

I will test this theory soon enough. Stay tuned to this thread!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: