Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » George Carlin's latest special (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: George Carlin's latest special
Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 08:17 AM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone else caught George Carlin's latest HBO special 'Life is Worth Losing'on Saturday Nov. 5th.

I am a big Carlin fan and had been looking forward to this special for awhile.

Overall, I thought the show was pretty good (and better than almost any other comedian) but that it was not as good some of his previous ones. Carlin seemed to not have the routines memorized as well and the material was not as scathing or insightful as many previous shows. Some of it seemed less thoughtful and seemed to be going for the easy gross-out humor.

Of course, he is getting on in years (I believe he is 70 yrs old) and he also went through rehab last year.

Anyone else have any thoughts about the latest performance from this legendary comedian?

|  IP: Logged

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2005 09:04 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I missed it, but two of my favorites are "Carlin on Campus" and "What am I doing in New Jersey?"

One of the top comedy talents of all time

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-08-2005 11:42 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think his two recent best are "Jammin in New York" on which he does his awesome "The Planet Is Fine" routine (a comedy bit which manages to make a lot of sense about the environment), and "You Are All Diseased," probably his most biting and angry material ever. ("You people believe in angels? What are ya, fuckin' stupid?")

Haven't seen the new one yet but will buy the CD when it comes out in a few months.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-08-2005 03:25 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been mistaken for George Carlin many times. The only two things we have in common is, we both grew up in The Bronx and we both love a good joke.

A couple of months ago a cop stopped me on 63rd Street and Second Avenue and asked me for my autograph. I said why would you want my autograph? He replied, well your George Carlin and I have been watching you cross for several weeks. I said I wasn't George Carlin and showed him my license to prove it. He still say's good morning George when I pass by him.

A few days after the above happened I visited a friend in Old Lyme, Connecticut. We went out to dinner at a piano bar. The Ladies at the next table tapped me on the shoulder and asked: Are you George Carlin? I said no, sorry. She said: You could be his twin. [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-08-2005 04:37 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
 - ...  -

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-08-2005 08:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Carlin's show Saturday night. I agree with the judgment: pretty good, but not as good as some of his other stuff. Overall it was a lot more socially critical than funny (the term socially critical is arguably very different than political even though the term political unfairly gets leveled).

Anyone who likes Carlin's humor should consider getting a copy of the 2-CD title "Classic Gold," which fits three of his classic albums on the two discs. The albums are "FM & AM," "Class Clown" and "Occupation Foole." You'll get classic routines like "The Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television," "I used to be Irish Catholic," "Shoot," "Cute Little Farts" and more.

I was kind of surprised when Carlin mentioned he was looking forward to celebrating his 50th year in show business in 2006. Wow. 50 years.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-08-2005 11:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Bobby on the CLASSIC GOLD set. Great stuff. If you are a bigger fan than that, I recommend the box set "The LIttle David Years." It has all of his albums for that label, including the three mentioned by Bobby, plus the three following albums, plus a disk of unreleased rarities. The 7 albums are each housed in a CD-sized repro of the original album cover. The packaging is great, as is most of the material.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 11:37 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George Carlin is funny like Aerosmith rocks; pretty great at first, but after like 100 years of doing the same thing over and over and over, it gets pretty old. Carlin had his moment when he toured college campuses way-back-when, but he has since failed to impress. He is a legendary "angry comedian", but there's no question that Lewis Black is the king of that style now. By his own admission, Carlin steps over the line to get a rise out of people. That's not comedy, that's desperation for attention. His newest special is no exception - tired, obvious, routine...

Comedy is a devastatingly tough field for a person to stay at the top of, which Carlin proves by having become that guy at the party that just doesn't understand it's time for him to leave.

A few of my favorite stand up acts for you to consider: Mitch Hedberg (R.I.P.), Patton Oswalt, Ellen DeGeneres, and if you ever get to Vegas, The Amazing Jonathan.

Bob Maar

- posted 11-10-2005 12:43 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,

Please tell me, how does it feel to go through life with such a negative attitude. Hopefully, you don't need to inter-act with other humans in Iowa.

P.S. I have only heard of one of the other people you mentioned. The must be local friends from grammer school.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-10-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy [bs] , watch out! Bob's a' swingin' and a' dancin'.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 03:03 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Bob, I didn't expect the personal attacks for stating my opinion, but thanks for not bringing out the "my dad can kick your dad's ass" ammo just yet. I don't see how commenting on one man's act implies a negative outlook on life (they didn't teach us the "jump to conclusions" game at my grammar school, but they did teach us proper spelling and punctuation). If it does, however, than I suppose I should rant and rave and call myself a comedian also.

If you have never heard of these other people, I strongly recommend you give them a chance. Mitch Hedberg's unique style especially deserves attention. Again, I'm just stating my opinion, but feel free to go ahead and further attack me personally rather than support your own view. It's working great for you so far.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree that Mitch Hedgburg was an excellent comic. He will be missed. Patton Oswalt is also pretty good.
I would not place Ellen Degeneres or Jonathan on par with either one of these two guys, however, especially Hedgburg.

And none of these come close to Carlin. Carlin's socio-political commentary is dead-on yet hilarious. He has a great B.S. detector and calls individuals and society on this B.S.

As far as Carlin's performances, I have all of his HBO stand up specials on DVD (except this newest one of course).

This was his twelfth actual HBO stand up special and he also did some kind of '40 years of comedy' show that featured an interview with Jon Stewart. As far as I know, this is not available on DVD or VHS. I would certainly like to find it though.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-10-2005 04:09 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Holy [bs] , watch out! Bob's a' swingin' and a' dancin'.

..and a hootin' and a prancin'...

Bob Maar

- posted 11-10-2005 04:56 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,

All you have to do is read your original post to see who is dissing who. All of the posts above yours, show that they are Geogrge Carlin Fans.

So why would you post a response saying they are behind the times.

Get a grip on what you are posting. This is a place where people of like mind can get together with a common bond.

You either bond or move on to give birth to a thread that you can enjoy without telling the people who posted before you that they are out of date.

So, that is why I say, "Get a Grip."

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lewis Black may be the king now according to you, but when he reaches Carlin's age, I'll bet younger people will be saying the same thing you're saying about Carlin now. Carlin's the original king. I've seen him live quite a few times and always have a good time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: