Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Great 3D fact screwups from the press (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Great 3D fact screwups from the press
Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2005 04:43 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Boston's Channel 5:

quote:
Disney has created a new 3-D process they call the REAL D Cinema system.
This is almost as bad as Joe Leydon's review of Sharkboy and Lavagirl that appeared in Variety:

quote:
Unfortunately, the pic was shot in the relatively primitive anaglyphic process, which requires the audience to watch action through cardboard glasses outfitted with red and green filters, rather than the virtually transparent Polaroid filters developed for recent 3-D pix.

|  IP: Logged

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Real D appreciates being considered a "Disney Process".

Pretty bad...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-05-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The advertisements do say "Disney Digital 3D", so Real D can't complain too much since they permitted it.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The misconception is that Disney created the REAL D process to show Chicken Little. That's like saying Warner Brothers invented IMAX to show Polar Express in 3D.

On another note, this is my 200th post. Joe Redifer was right. I need to get a life.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-05-2005 06:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's no different than Disney calling their DVDs "Disney DVDs" as if there is something special about them.

I'm surprised they didn't come up with some cute name for the computer animation technique, like "Disney-Mation" or something, to differentiate it from that antiquated Pixar process. [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-05-2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.

The movie poster says "Disney Digital 3-D."

But then it says "Exclusively in Dolby Digital Cinema."

And then there's the "Real D" brand mark at the bottom of the poster.

I think that's just freakin' retarded. Three different brand names for what is effectively one process. Dolby Digital, DTS and SDDS logos on a movie poster can be confusing for a lot of people (especially in those rare cases where the THX logo is thrown in), but at least there is some logic there.

I can see some justification for both Dolby and Real D brand names being applied since both have some involvement in the hardware -but then companies like Barco or Texas Instruments would be equally justified in having their names thrown on the poster as well.

But "Disney Digital 3D"? I think that's just a crock.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-05-2005 09:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is about god damn time we have a real D. The alphabet is finally complete.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-05-2005 10:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Real D? As if that was a great thing? If I got a real D back in school it pissed me off!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-05-2005 10:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always happy when I got D's back in high school. It was the best I could hope for except for mechanical/architectural drawing where I defeated the teacher and art, which does not count.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 02:50 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The movie poster says "Disney Digital 3-D."

But then it says "Exclusively in Dolby Digital Cinema."

And then there's the "Real D" brand mark at the bottom of the poster.

I think that's just freakin' retarded. Three different brand names for what is effectively one process.

Yep. You have one brand responsible for rendering the data, one brand responsible for sending the data to the projector, and yet another brand responsible for filtering the data emitted from the projector. Pretty easy to explain on a poster with a few logos. [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-06-2005 06:20 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have to have different companies to do each one of those minor tasks? I wouldn't be surprised if what Wolff said was actually true. Damn they must really be incompetant.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 06:55 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its because of rights to specific parts of the process being owned by different companies. So its not incompetance, it's money reasons.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-06-2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By that logic, Texas Instruments should demand the DLP logo be displayed (and perhaps whatever they might have cooked up to brand their 2K system). My understanding is Barco is the main company providing the actual projection hardware, so their logo should be displayed too.

But what exactly did Disney provide hardware wise? My impression is they simply paid money to get the ball rolling. IMHO, there's more justification for Disney to have their "Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix" thingie on certain DVDs than "Disney Digital 3D" in this case. It makes me think they'll come up with some silly "digital" thing for the DVD when it will still be the same old DVD-V flavored ones and zeroes.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-06-2005 03:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wolff are you saying that a single company can hold the rights to "passing the data to the projector"? Do you realize how stupid that is? A single company can't figure out how to do it, so they need to license the technology? That's like saying I need to use BTV to capture my video, Final Cut Pro to edit it, some other program to export it, and a completely different program mad eby some other vendor to play it. But in reality Final Cut Pro can do ALL of that, and it is made by a single company. It can render the data and it can send it to the DV deck. Wow. Those Digital Video companies for the movie theaters are sure inefficient. What's next, a different company who makes the volume knob because Dolby doesn't have the rights to increase volume in sound processors?

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2005 04:32 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not what I'm saying at all, Joseph. I'm just trying to point out that companies like Real D own rights to a part of the process. In this case, being able to show 3D content IN 3D. Thus, you can make a 3D movie (like Disney did) and call it whatever you want (Disney Digital 3D), but in order to SHOW it in 3D, you have to pay Real D to do that.

And Bobby is right, there should be at least 2 more logos on there since both TI and Barco are involved. Five total logos... Gotta love it! Oh wait, you have some Christie projectors as an alternative setup at some locations, so that should be added in for a total of 6 now. Heck, might as well throw in the makers of the screen too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: