Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Magnetic door latch (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Magnetic door latch
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2005 12:52 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Some theaters out there are using these, can someone post some info on what they are using? Essentially it is a magnetic latch that when energized will hold the auditorium door open, and then when the feature begins, a latching relay closure from the automation opens to cut power to the magnet and the door closes. Then at the end of the show the automation latches that relay to provide power to the magnet and the first person to open the door all the way will permit the magnet to hold it open.

It's very simple and a nice way to guarantee that the auditorium doors are always closed at the beginning of the feature. Anyone have some specific models or info to pass on? [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-04-2005 01:13 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 11-04-2005, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-04-2005 01:46 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, the same magnetic door latch assemblies that we have in some of our theatres (that were built by Cineplex Odeon until they had to pull out of a wad of towns..).

This is one area that I need to find out if I do have automation access (through my CPA-10's) to these doors to close on feature start.

Right now, there is a push button right below the e-magnet that interrupts the field to allow door closure.

-Monte

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-04-2005 02:07 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Regal 12-plex here that uses latches like what Phil posted the link to. They're set up like Brad describes... Doors shut somewhere in the presentation. It appears that power-on is tied to the cue they use to bring the lites up at credits.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2005 06:45 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two different systems like this, one is built into the door closer unit (at the top of the door), the other is a seperate magnetic hook (usually) lower down the door.

The hook type are usually less strong so that if somebody pulls the door it will close when the built into the closer type may cause damage to the door if somebody 'helpfully' decides to close the door early.

Remember to make the doors close slowly so as to avoid damage to loitering customers

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-04-2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. At the last cinema I worked, we had magnetic hook catches on the internal fire doors, which were linked to the alarm system. It never occured to me that having them on the screen doors and operated from the booth (either manually or on the 'feature start' automation cue) would get round the problem of usherettes constantly leaving doors wedged open, and one or two occasions when customers tripped over the wedges.

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2005 05:48 PM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have these as standard on new builds, in the form of a latch at the top outer corner of each door. They are tied into the automation and the fire alarm. It ensures the doors are open during ads/trailers, close automatically when the feature starts and latch open on the end credits.

A single push-to-break switch mounted between the inner and outer sets of auditorium doors interrupts the power supply. They require a power supply, which is usually mounted in the booth, and have a local backup battery in case of mains failure.

-

Picture shows a theatre during fit out with the doors and magnetic latches just mounted.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-04-2005 06:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, that is exactly what I am looking for. Can you get me a brand and model number of those units please?

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2005 06:09 PM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a look when I'm next at work (tomorrow night). If I can't find any documentation on site I'll get onto someone 'in the know' after the weekend.

UPDATE: I couldn't find any documentation, however I am waiting for an email/call back from someone.

[ 11-07-2005, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Dan Harris ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-2005 12:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else have a specific model that they find relatively inexpensive, simple and reliable?

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2005 05:13 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a chat with someone who used to fit out hotels. He said that you should look for magnetic door releases.

http://www.protectingpeople.co.uk/fire/door_retainers_releases/

This looks like what Dan has been trying to find out for you. And available 24 volt DC with automated options.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2005 06:29 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grainger has them: Link

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-29-2005 10:29 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always used what ever the lock company stocked. I've never been picky about brand/model... after all they're just an electromagnet.

I'm still against them being used for anything but fire code compliance in public spaces though. In many places it wouldn't be legal to have a door close automatically (via an automation relay) without a bell or light signal. At a minimum I'd have the yellow caution stickers you see on doors operated via an automatic door opener stuck to the door.

Somebody's liable to walk into a closing door and sue you for them breaking their nose. Use a button, and get someone to push it sometime near the end of your pre-feature line up.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-29-2005 10:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The door closure is to remain on the door. It's not like this is a motorized door closure. It simply will release the door so that it may slowly close.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-29-2005 10:49 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. We're talking about the exact same thing. Having doors close by themselves is, depending on the jurisdiction, either a building code violation or liability risk. It doesn't matter that it's an electromagnet and pneumatic cylinder and not a motor causing it to close (or stay open).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: