Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Civil rights icon Rosa Parks dies at 92

Author Topic: Civil rights icon Rosa Parks dies at 92
Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2005 01:37 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/24/parks.obit/index.html

quote:
(CNN) -- Rosa Parks, whose act of civil disobedience in 1955 inspired the modern civil rights movement, died Monday in Detroit, Michigan. She was 92.

Parks' moment in history began in December 1955 when she refused to give up her seat on a bus to a white man in Montgomery, Alabama.

Her arrest triggered a 381-day boycott of the bus system by blacks that was organized by a 26-year-old Baptist minister, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. (See video on an activist's life and times -- 2:52)

The boycott led to a court ruling desegregating public transportation in Montgomery, but it wasn't until the 1964 Civil Rights Act that all public accommodations nationwide were desegregated.

Facing regular threats and having lost her department store job because of her activism, Parks moved from Alabama to Detroit in 1957. She later joined the staff of U.S. Rep. John Conyers, a Michigan Democrat.

Conyers, who first met Parks during the early days of the civil rights struggle, recalled Monday that she worked on his original congressional staff when he first was elected to the House of Representatives in 1964.

"I think that she, as the mother of the new civil rights movement, has left an impact not just on the nation, but on the world," he told CNN in a telephone interview. "She was a real apostle of the nonviolence movement."

He remembered her as someone who never raised her voice -- an eloquent voice of the civil rights movement.

"You treated her with deference because she was so quiet, so serene -- just a very special person," he said, adding that "there was only one" Rosa Parks.

Gregory Reed, a longtime friend and attorney, said Parks died between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. of natural causes. He called Parks "a lady of great courage."

Parks co-founded the Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute for Self Development to help young people pursue educational opportunities, get them registered to vote and work toward racial peace.

"As long as there is unemployment, war, crime and all things that go to the infliction of man's inhumanity to man, regardless -- there is much to be done, and people need to work together," she once said.

Even into her 80s, she was active on the lecture circuit, speaking at civil rights groups and accepting awards, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1996 and the Congressional Gold Medal in 1999.

"This medal is encouragement for all of us to continue until all have rights," she said at the June 1999 ceremony for the latter medal.

Parks was the subject of the documentary "Mighty Times: The Legacy of Rosa Parks," which received a 2002 Oscar nomination for best documentary short.

In April, Parks and rap duo OutKast settled a lawsuit over the use of her name on a CD released in 1998. (Full story)

Bus boycott
She was born Rosa Louise McCauley in Tuskegee, Alabama, on February 4, 1913. Her marriage to Raymond Parks lasted from 1932 until his death in 1977.

Parks' father, James McCauley, was a carpenter, and her mother, Leona Edwards McCauley, a teacher.

Before her arrest in 1955, Parks was active in the voter registration movement and with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, where she also worked as a secretary in 1943.

At the time of her arrest, Parks was 42 and on her way home from work as a seamstress.

She took a seat in the front of the black section of a city bus in Montgomery. The bus filled up and the bus driver demanded that she move so a white male passenger could have her seat.

"The driver wanted us to stand up, the four of us. We didn't move at the beginning, but he says, 'Let me have these seats.' And the other three people moved, but I didn't," she once said.

When Parks refused to give up her seat, a police officer arrested her.

As the officer took her away, she recalled that she asked, "Why do you push us around?"

The officer's response: "I don't know, but the law's the law, and you're under arrest."

She added, "I only knew that, as I was being arrested, that it was the very last time that I would ever ride in humiliation of this kind."

Four days later, Parks was convicted of disorderly conduct and fined $14.

That same day, a group of blacks founded the Montgomery Improvement Association and named King, the young pastor of Dexter Avenue Baptist Church, as its leader, and the bus boycott began.

For the next 381 days, blacks -- who according to Time magazine had comprised two-thirds of Montgomery bus riders -- boycotted public transportation to protest Parks' arrest and in turn the city's Jim Crow segregation laws.

Black people walked, rode taxis and used carpools in an effort that severely damaged the transit company's finances.

The mass movement marked one of the largest and most successful challenges of segregation and helped catapult King to the forefront of the civil rights movement.

The boycott ended on November 13, 1956, after the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a lower court ruling that Montgomery's segregated bus service was unconstitutional.

Parks' act of defiance came one year after the Supreme Court's Brown v. Board of Education decision that led to the end of racial segregation in public schools. (Full story)

U.S. Rep. John Lewis of Georgia, a Democrat, told CNN Monday he watched the 1955-56 Montgomery drama unfold as a teenager and it inspired him to get active in the civil rights movement.

"It was so unbelievable that this woman -- this one woman -- had the courage to take a seat and refuse to get up and give it up to a white gentleman. By sitting down, she was standing up for all Americans," he said.

|  IP: Logged

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2005 01:03 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of her...

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-25-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian How is it possible that you have never heard of Rosa Parks.

Rosa Parks

Full-text books and articles on Rosa Parks are available exclusively at Questia. Preview any title for free. Subscribe to Questia for full access to these titles and the complete library including:

Exclusive Access to the full-text of 60,000 books and 1,000,000 articles. You won't find this library collection anywhere else on the Internet.

Trust the reliable information you find on Questia. We offer only the highest quality academic books and articles from 250 leading publishers like Harvard University Press and Oxford University Press.

Save time and do better and faster research with our powerful digital tools.

Full-text Books and Articles on: Rosa Parks
recommended by Questia librarians

Daybreak of Freedom: The Montgomery Bus Boycott
Book by Stewart Burns. 362 pgs.

American Women Civil Rights Activists: Biobibliographies of 68 Leaders, 1825-1992 (Chap. 48 "Rosa Parks (1913- )")
Book by Gayle J. Hardy. 482 pgs.

The Civil Rights Movement ("Rosa Louise McCauley Parks (1913- )" begins on p. 142)
Book by Peter B. Levy. 226 pgs.

...goals, nearly a half-century after Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a...Money, Mississippi December 1 Rosa Parks arrested, sparking Montgomery bus...Montgomery...
Freedomways Reader: Prophets in Their Own Country (Chap. 41 "Negro Women in Freedom's Battle, No. 4, 1967")
Book by Esther Cooper Jackson, Constance Pohl. 382 pgs.

...More praise for Freedomways Reader "A new and, if possible, more challenging time is upon us -- unprecedented in its possibilities for greatness and in its dangers...
Let Freedom Ring: A Documentary History of the Modern Civil Rights Movement (Chap. 3 "The Montgomery Bus Boycott")
Book by Peter B. Levy. 276 pgs.

...permission of the author. Rosa Parks, "Recollections" and Franklin...public acclaim, from the moment that Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a...boycott, contains an...
Keeping the Dream Alive: A History of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference from King to the Nineteen-Eighties ("The Montgomery Boycott" begins on p. 25)
Book by Thomas R. Peake. 524 pgs.

How Long? How Long? African American Women and the Struggle for Civil Rights (Chap. Three "Women and the Escalation of the Civil Rights Movement")
Book by Belinda Robnett. 272 pgs.

Notable Women in American History: A Guide to Recommended Biographies and Autobiographies ("Parks, Rosa (1913- ): Reformer" begins on p. 282)
Book by Lynda G. Adamson. 450 pgs.

...NOTABLE WOMEN IN AMERICAN HISTORY A Guide to Recommended Biographies and Autobiographies LYNDA G. ADAMSON GREENWOOD PRESS Westport, Connecticut London...
Dream and Reality: The Modern Black Struggle for Freedom and Equality (Chap. 3 "Rediscovering Women Leaders of the Civil Rights Movement")
Book by Jeannine Swift. 172 pgs.

• More Full-text Books and Articles on Rosa Parks...
Customize Your Search: Rosa Parks [refine search][refine search][refine search]

Search in:
Books Journals Magazines
Newspaper Encyclopedia Research Topics

· Type your specific word or phrase in the box above after the word and, then click Search.

· Put exact phrases in quotation marks. Do not put single words in quotation marks.

Rosa Parks - Related Research Topics
Montgomery Bus Boycott
Civil Rights
Civil Rights Narratives
Sojourner Truth
Famous African-Americans
African-American Social History
African-American Women Writers
African Americans
African-American History
1960s America
Alabama History

One Great Woman, who started a revolution in the way Americans think.

Bob

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-25-2005 04:37 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Maaaaaaartoonie
Christian How is it possible that you have never heard of Rosa Parks.

Bob, that's just another example of the shitty education kids are getting in our schools systems... both public and private.

How sad.

I get really disgusted at the stupidity of many of the "masses" whenever I watch Jay Leno doing a MOS interview and asking and/or showing pics of famous people in history.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-26-2005 05:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got the same problem here. There was a report on history teaching in schools on The World Tonight on Monday. A class of 30 15 year-olds was asked if they'd heard of Nelson and/or the Battle of Trafalgar (the 200th anniversary of which was last Thursday, so they must have had their heads in the sand not to). Only three had, and two of those thought that 'Nelson' referred to Nelson Mandela.

In just under a fortnight's time it'll be the 400th anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot, though I suspect that if I stopped an average 15 year-old outside a school gate and asked them why we have fireworks parties on 5 November, or who Guy Fawkes was, they wouldn't have a clue. The frightening thing is that I'm only one generation older than these kids, but I wouldn't have been able to pass my 'O' level (high school exam taken by 16 year-olds) history without knowing this stuff.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2005 07:03 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww come on Phil, you know 99% of Jay's show is scripted!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2005 09:05 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago I cought a tv news report of the Clintons and the Gores visiting Monticello, the home of Jefferson.

Anyhow, Al Gore was cought on camera asking who a particular sculptured bust was of. The museum curator rolled his eyes and said that it was of Jefferson. The camera also cought a classic shot of Clinton rolling his eyes, with a classic "you dumbass" look on his face.

K

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-26-2005 10:05 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you know 99% of Jay's show is scripted!
Not scripted, just selectively edited. I'm sure they get people on Jaywalks who know their stuff, but they are edited out and never appear on TV or even HDTV for that matter if you can believe that. If you want to be on the show, you have to at least act like a dumbass.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 10-26-2005 10:10 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe is absolutely correct! As a matter of fact, Joe and me are going to be on the Leno MOS interview in 2 weeks.

I will be "acting" like a dumbass, and Joe will be his self.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 11-03-2005 12:58 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Memories of a Faded Rose Remembering the life and legacy of Rosa Parks.

She wouldn't budge when on a bus a white man said "My seat!" She bravely sat and stood her ground like wind-blown Kansas wheat.

It was a bus ride that began a journey not yet done. A trip toward equality where blacks and whites are one.

No, a Rosa by any other name would not smell as sweet. Her very name was the fragrance of freedom to many a little girl (and boy) who grew up in the contaminated soil of the South with hopes of a better life and dreams of being as courageous as Ms. Parks. No, Rosa was not your garden-variety kind of woman. She was a rare specimen. Though her life was marked by thorns that stemmed from ugly prejudice, Rosa bloomed with beauty. Her solitary act of defiance became a delightful bouquet of justice.

And as her shriveled lifeless frame is laid to rest today, may memories of this faded rose inspire us I pray.

~ Greg Asimakoupoulos

seems more appropriate here than in the Joke Forum

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: