Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Blade Runner (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Blade Runner
Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 01:39 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any information on theatrical realise of the “Blade Runner” 1982, did the film have split-surrounds or where they mono instead.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-18-2005 01:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The toronto 70mm print was format 42

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon’

Cheers for that, and what did it sound like to you, did you like it?

The bass impacts form the Sonics what was that like?

Directivity of sounds where they more accrete than the Optical Dolby Stereo “A” format?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-18-2005 02:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Course, back in 1982, when "Blade Runner" (the original cut with Harrison Ford's narrative during the movie) there was only Dolby "A" - 4channel optical stereo. "SR" didn't come online until 1987.

Also, studios were releasing both mono and dolby version of some movies back then and we had the Dolby "A" verion at our 4plex.

-Monte

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 03:18 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Monte’

Arr yes, those where the days, I was always raving about Dolby SR when I was working for UCI many years ago, and still hasn’t worn off on me.

My first memory of how the film sounded, I was around 15, was a neutral sound, has THX wasn’t giving hard hit bass with low noise background levels, but still it was good to look at and pleasant to listen to.

The only version of the film I have is an ole “NICAM digital Stereo” version, which sound good, but the tape is showing signs of ware now, with Hi-Hi track dropping out to mono and back to Hi-Fi, so looking forward for a dual version of “Blade Runner” on DVD as I didn’t hate the narration track, I liked it, it helped the audience understand what “Deckard” is thinking… and the mad as hatter “Roy Batty” chasing after “Deckard” was scary…

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-18-2005 04:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andy Summers
I was always raving about Dolby SR
..Yea, I agree about SR. Back in 1988, saw "Willow" at the Cottonwood in SLC in the big house there (MANN believed in opaque spices..ugh..)and this was presented in the SR format with the film going through a AA-2, and the sound was astoundingly fantastic! ... for optical.

Course, what was just as juicy was 8 years earlier, at the VILLA in SLC, I saw "XANADU" there in Dolby "A" stereo format and even that sound was astoundingly fanstastic..for optical. They were using CP-65's for the processors being a carbon arc, changeover house at the time.

-Monte

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-18-2005 05:11 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting for a decent version of "Bladerunner" on DVD. The only version released thus far has a 2.0 mix (in spite of the original 1982 release featuring some 70mm Dolby mag prints). If memory serves correct, that DVD is also non-anamorphic.

Supposedly a SE DVD of "Bladerunner" has been in the works for years, but it keeps getting side-tracked by all sorts of other crap. Someone raises a legal stink. Or Ridley Scott gets sidetracked to make some super-duper SE version of another one of his movies that's already had 2 or 3 DVD versions already. C'mon, Ridley!

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby’

I also agree with that, how many times it’s been bumped lost count, as for “Alien” “Gladiator” and “Black Hawk Down” what’s his game if he gets around to doing it, it better be everything it’s worth, just like the sound mix on that film wow it’s better than sex….

Monte’

Now “Willow” is that epic fantasy classic, lots of the 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo realises are on DVD now with around less than a 100 there about to go, though it’s hard to pick out the classic Dolby mixes, “Blade Runner” my friends where always raving about the music on the 1982 version.

“XANADU” that was with “Olivia Newton-John” and “Gene Kelly” that’s a film I haven’t heard about in years. Hears is a link to the trailer.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081777/trailers

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 06:37 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm another who likes the original theatrical version with the narration. Not only does it explain things that need explaining, but when they removed the narration, they did not trim the visuals, so you have scenes that run far too long with nothing happening. I also did not like them inserting the unicorn, which destroys a sequence with a beautiful piece of music.

Bladerunner is a film that has been consistantly mucked with. On video tape/laser disc, there was the original theatrical version, a version with extra violence added toward the end, and now this so-called directors cut.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 06:41 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Course, back in 1982, when "Blade Runner" (the original cut with Harrison Ford's narrative during the movie) there was only Dolby "A" - 4channel optical stereo.
Actually, the use of split surrounds was used for the 70mm presentations of Apocalypse Now in 1979 (although not used on Blade Runner). There was also Dolby A - 4-track magnetic format that existed then as well (although Blade Runner's 35mm prints were stereo optical. I wouldn't DARE use the term "4 channel" though).

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 07:27 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Well looks like we have a show of hands that like the theatrical realise of “Blade Runner” I’d just like to walk down the road and pay someone for a “The Criterion Collection” all I can do is just look at the front cover and drool over it…
http://japanld.free.fr/cover/00901-01000/00972.jpg

Just like to, "Make it loud this is Romeo Foxtrot shall we
dance…"

Feel free to browse at the Blade Runner Laserdisc list.
http://japanld.free.fr/search.php?search=blade+runner&sort=title

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 07:33 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have my Criterion Letterboxed LaserDisc. This was one of the first titles that was issued letterboxed in the USA. Unfortunately, LaserDisc does not look nearly as good as DVD, and the disc pre-dates Dolby Digital 5.1 (analog Dolby Stereo only).

I assume you are aware that 2 excellent sounding bootleg CD's of the original soundtrack music (not a re-recording) exist. The first was a limited run, hand numbered version on a company called "Off World Records". The second, was an Italian bootleg on Gongo Records of the first bootleg, that does not have the trailer soundtrack, but added the few music cues that were missing from the first bootleg. Both are long out of print, but turn up occasionally on eBay.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell’

Man I’m totally jealous, are playing it now, and that opening WOW bit sounds cool…

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-18-2005 09:01 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After I saw the re-release a few years ago (when was that?) I decided I prefer the original theatrical release with the narration. It just works better for me. "Blade Runner" is a flawed masterpiece and I wish they'd do a decent DVD release (original version please).

Speaking of that re-release, the print was brand new but looked kind of washed-out. Unfortunately it played at the local art house, which at the time didn't have very good sound. They had it cranked as loud as they could go without bad distortion, but it just wasn't all that great. It was a sold out show and fun but wish it had been technically better.

For some weird reason, the old Orion studio logo at the front of that movie is just very "right".

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2005 09:32 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a Ladd Co. logo, wasn't it?

For those with an interest, here are the locations of the original 70mm engagements of "Blade Runner." What I think is silly about this whole thing is that in the book "Future Noir: The Making Of Blade Runner" (Paul M. Sammon, Harper, 1996), the film's producer claimed there weren't any 70mm prints made for the film!

Released June 25, 1982.

CALIFORNIA
Corte Madera: Marin Cinema
Los Angeles: Mann Hollywood
Los Angeles: Mann Bruin
Pasadena: SRO Hastings
San Francisco: UA Coronet
San Jose: Syufy Century 22

ILLINOIS
Chicago: Plitt Esquire

NEW YORK
New York: B.S. Moss Criterion Center
New York: Cinema 5 Murray Hill

WASHINGTON
Seattle: SRO Cinerama

and released in September 1982:
UNITED KINGDOM
London: ABC Shaftsbury Avenue
London: Warner

Notice Toronto isn't included? I suspect the print(s) Gordon mentioned earlier were probably from the fests held at the Cinesphere.

Oh, by the way, I prefer the '82 theatrical version, too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: