Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Saenger Theatre Damage Status

Author Topic: Saenger Theatre Damage Status
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-15-2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what the status of this incredible piece of movie history is? It was certainly under alot of water for quite some time and must have sustained major if not total damage. I noticed on their web site that the entire 2005/2006 seasons were cancled.

-

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2005 07:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Since there were more than one Saenger theater built, which city/state are you talking about?

According to Adam "Cinemadork" Martin, there were at least 19 of those built.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-15-2005 08:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was Brad's Home theatre...my mistake.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-15-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But only one of them was actually submerged on canal Street:D .

Mark

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2005 12:42 AM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the Saenger Theatre in Biloxi was hit by the storm as well as the one in New Orleans. From the picture, I know it is the New Orleans one that you are referring to. A beautiful theatre indeed. I have been there several times, and hope that it isn't damaged too badly.

I saw a posting at the League of Historic American Theatres that seemed to suggest that it isn't too bad due to only several feet of water on the main level. They said that they would report more details when they were able to get back in the building, but I haven't seen that update as of yet.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2005 01:31 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2/3 of the way down. Pretty sure that is the place... random pics

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-16-2005 03:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't put curtains in my place yet, so it's an unsuitable place to screen a movie thus far.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2005 03:31 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a weird picture of the Saenger Theatre in New Orleans. The grand drape is emerald green, so I suppose some heavy-handed photo manipulation occurred by someone who thought he was just getting out the amber from the interior lighting by incandescents.

The water from the flooding went over the stages at all the Canal Street historic houses: The Saenger, the Joy, The State Palace (Loew's), & the Orpheum. The flooding was only about 3' or 4' above sidewalk level, but the theaters' auditoriaeums have excavated floors. The Saenger's seats were out as part of the summer renovation project, but there's damage to the building up to the waterline about a foot over the stage - not just the auditorium walls, stage, etc., but under the stage, the bottom of the organ console (which was up on its lift), the pit lift, all the mechanical in the basement, etc. All the mechanical & electrical in the basement are big problems in all the theaters. This was a point at which those theatres which had modernized their electrical service entrance to new breaker panels came out much worse than having left the old knife-switch & cartridge fuse original installations, since the breaker panels were all submerged & a loss as opposed to just cleanup of contacts & replacement of fuses. Wires in conduit have their own particular problems. Also, at the Saenger, the roof was pretty much off except for tarpaper as there was a new roof being put on & the ceiling from the auditorium was being re-done as part of the summer renovations, & the rain from above has done what it do.

The Saenger has cancelled the rest of *this* season, & is letting contracts for repairs. A theater's theatrical season has a name which spans two years because of the tradition of shutting down for the summer (because of the heat before AC), thus the season starts in the fall & ends in the spring. It's a tradition that sort of works like a fiscal year; during the summer months things are sort of less structured & things like summer film series & odd little rentals, as well as different kinds of work on the physical plant, are done since it's out of the season.

(Boring sidebar: the theatrical season solidified as fall-to-spring coinciding with east coast & southern theatrical seasons; in the 1800's, the theatrical season in the midwest like Chicago, St. Louis, etc. was spring-to-fall, because it was too cold to go to the theatre in the winter. Theatrical companies would run the season in the south or northeast until it got too hot, then send their companies to run the season in what's now the midwest until it got too cold, then back they all go down south, usually after the first frost, when the annual threat of yellow fever was presumed to be over, or to the northeast.)

The post on the THS list made shortly after the storm contained some erroneous information.

To get an idea of the unholy mess caused by a building flooding & floating crap everywhere, take a look at John DeMajo's house & observe the migration the Wurlitzer he had installed in his home. That's pretty much what the basements of all these buildings looked like after the flood water was pumped out of the basements.
http://www.demajo.net/organ/katrina/index.htm

[ 10-17-2005, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: William Hooper ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: