Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Howard Shore Replaced as King Kong Composer

Author Topic: Howard Shore Replaced as King Kong Composer
Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 02:56 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From The Hollywood Reporter:

Oct. 15, 2005

'King Kong' composer Shore replaced

By Borys Kit and Sheigh Crabtree

Oscar-winning composer Howard Shore has left Peter Jackson's "King Kong" and is being replaced by James Newton Howard.

The move comes just two months before Universal Pictures is set to release the epic film, which bows Dec. 14 in the U.S.

Jackson issued a statement Friday saying that he and Shore were parting ways because of creative differences: "I have greatly enjoyed my collaborations with Howard Shore, whose musical themes made immeasurable contributions to 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. During the last few weeks, Howard and I came to realize that we had differing creative aspirations for the score of 'King Kong.' Rather than waste time arguing with a friend and trying to unify our points of view, we decided amicably to let another composer score the film."

The Jackson-Shore relationship has been a very successful one. Shore composed the score on all three of Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" films, as well as additional scoring for the DVDs, and won Oscars for "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Return of the King." Shore also shared an Oscar for best original song on the latter film with Fran Walsh and Annie Lennox. The composer had been working on the "Kong" score since wrapping "Return of the King."

Jeff Bond, editor at large of Film Score Monthly, said the difference could stem from Shore's artistic ambitions running against the demands of a big studio movie.

"Howard Shore is a guy, who particularly on 'Lord of the Rings' and a lot of his scores for David Cronenberg, has very specific artistic ideas that he likes to express in a score," Bond said. "That can be problematic if the composer is potentially running up against the thoughts of a director. Part of the problem is that the bigger the project, the less the score has an opportunity to be creative."

Ironically, Shore replaced another composer when he took over the music assignment on Martin Scorsese's "Gangs of New York" after Elmer Bernstein left that film.

|  IP: Logged

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 03:40 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph’

Well, well, this sounds like a spanner in the works, oh dear, well “James Newton Hoard’s” scores are pretty good works, I have quite a few films on DVD and laserdisc where upon listening to parts where it will be soft mellow with a touch of suspense in it.

But this whole issue of the parting doesn’t sound good, and there is another issue hear regarding remakes Hollywood is clearly fresh out of ideas and looking to old films to basically lets do it in Technicolor Panavision anamorphic lenses six-track Dolby Stereo surround with Surround –EX and enough CGI effects to sink a battle ship.

I think one, ”King Kong” remake 1976 is more than enough, I would sooner see and hear the original with six-track Dolby Stereo digital sound, but it’s too late for all that.

Hear is a link to the up coming DVD package to this version of “King Kong” damn they stuck that together quickly, but there going to have to make changes to it regarding “Mr Howard Shore’s” parting.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=58672

Sure there have been lots of classic remakes from “Ben Hur” to Psycho etc, etc, etc, why hasn’t Hollywood remade “Earthquake” or “The Towering Inferno” get the picture….

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they'll utilize portions of each composer's work in the final mix (a la "Last Of The Mohicans"). They could then credit the film's music to James Newton Howard Shore!

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 10:48 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael’

Some films rarely have two composers working on the same project, yes “Last of the Mohicans” was one of them that’s one of my favourite films on DVD, “Trevor Jones” and “Randy Edelman” is there anymore films where two scoring composers have joined forces... as I have way too many films on Laserdisc and DVD to start looking….?

Who owns the copyrights to the score of “King Kong” “Howard Shore” or the film distributors realising the film, though I guess “Howard Shore” owns the rights to his notations….

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-16-2005 01:07 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The discussion of does hollywood have any fresh ideas is in itself an old discussion. In another forum someone complained of the new "serenity" movie because space movies have been done before, and will hollywood ever get any fresh ideas.

Remember that even some of what most would consider original work really is nothing more than rehashed ideas in a different medium. Star wars for instance is nothing new. Just old stories in a new medium.

Books made from movies, movies from books, tv shows from books and movies and vice versa, it is all just different interpretations.

Take for instance the Boston Pops performing Beethoven's 5th symphony, and then compare it with the London Philharmonic. The mere fact that two different orchestras are performing the same music is lost on most people, but to the distinct listener, they can tell the difference, and may prefer one over the other. It doesn't mean that one is a remake of another, but rather just a different interpretation.

Besides, who the hell wants to her the latest work by Joe Stranglehoffer? We want BEETHOVEN!!!

It is up to many things, such as individual artistic interpretation and the preferences of the audience. One mans garbage is anothers treasure.

There are really only three original ideas. Vampires, cowboys, and spaceships. After that, everything is a rehash. The real point is, will it be of a worthwhile effort, and will it contribute to society in a postive way.

This is the point of art. Whether remakes or rehashes, all art is an expression of the one creating the product we see.

I am personally thrilled to see what peter jackson can deliver for us in King Kong. Maybe it will suck, maybe it will be a masterpiece. Only time and a viewing will tell. And even then, it is going to be up to the beholder to decide.

Such as is all forms of art. Be it they paintings, neosculpture, musical factories (see david byrne), or whatever.

Ciao

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2005 08:52 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andy Summers
Technicolor Panavision anamorphic lenses six-track Dolby Stereo surround with Surround –EX
I've got to get me some of that! [thumbsup]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-16-2005 10:58 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They could then credit the film's music to James Newton Howard Shore!
If they do that then they need to have a controversial hit song by two dudes to piss off the red states. Hit song by: George Michael Jackson. Wait. Wasn't that "Wham"?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-16-2005 11:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off....Holy crap... not another King Kong [puke] . And secondly to changing the composer.... I give that a big whoopie do [sleep] . All the really great film composers are long gone.

Can someone please make some good movies for a change?

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-16-2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make good movies for a change?

Why that means actually doing something artistically creative, ground-breaking -or at least something that isn't a sequel, remake or TV-to-film spoof. Can't have any of that. Too unpredictable. Can't make forward looking statements to share holders under that kind of model. The board's marketing forecasts specifically state American movie goers will be more than happy to keep buying the same flavor of vanilla ice cream, yet buy more and more of it with each successive quarter.

With that expertise delivered, the board will now award its chairman, Alfred E. Newman, a bonus of $250 million as he leaves the company. His next assignment is to depart for Miami Beach where he will sodomize Girls Gone Wild participants on a regular basis. Got the cash to do that now, biatch!

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2005 03:30 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:

That’s correct it was WHAM and he got caught by a Police office “WANKING OFF” in public toilets….dirty bugger…. [puke] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2115582.stm

Mark’

That’s precisely what I was saying, “Hollyshitwood” about remakes the same goes to pop music some of these new kiddies now like taken pieces of classic music and changing the tone slightly thinking no one will notice, so “Hollyshitwood” isn’t the only one that are fresh out of new ideas…….. [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: