Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Rain-X Anygood?

Author Topic: Rain-X Anygood?
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-11-2005 03:21 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried the stuff? I've ridden briefly in a car with it on the windshield and the rain drops do bead and blow off at speed, other than that 5 minute ride I have no other experience with it. Any opinions on Rain X?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-11-2005 03:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GREAT STUFF ! Use it all the time all year round. Recoat your windshields about once a month with this stuff during the wet seasons-even during winter months.

Just have to do a lot of buffing on the windshield to get the silcone evenly spreaded across the glass surface(s).

If you have a (gasp) SUV, or vehicle with a rear wiper assembly, do the rear window as well with Rain-X.

-Monte

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2005 04:05 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also great for coating the field lens on IMAX projectors to keep the dirt off

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-11-2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely. We used it every shift at the Caesars Palace Omnimax and I used it on my car and airplane windows when I lived in areas where glass or plexi could fog up. Works well on aircraft anti-ice boots too. Great stuff.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2005 06:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use it. Works great. Like Monte said, getting the stuff evenly distributed and without streaks is some work, but the results are worth it.

Make sure your glass is super-clean before you apply it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-11-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The stuff works as advertised.

The first time you use it, put on two coats and buff it like hell.

Once your windsheild is coated you'll hardly ever need to use your wipers unless it rains hard. Once you get up to about 30 MPH the slip stream over the car will cause the windshield to be blown clear.

The protection wears off after a while. You'll have to recoat the windshield every so often.

The stuff's a bargain at twice the price!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2005 12:00 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...when you do the windshields, also wipe your wiper blades with this stuff so the rubber can stay supple with the silicone.

Yes, I've seen IMAX operators do the RAIN-X thingey on the field lenses.

-Monte

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 10-12-2005 12:41 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For our field lenses, we've always used a mixture of about half Rain-X and half 90%-alcohol. It really has to be buffed clear, but it works well. Not sure why we never used straight Rain-X ... I just wasn't taught that way, I guess.

I've yet to try it on my vehicle windshield, though. I'm sure it works great. Too bad our Southern California "rainy season" consists of three or four days, spread randomly throughout the calendar year. I'd never get to see actually how effective it would be. I miss the rain. [Frown]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 01:15 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Michael Weidemann
I miss the rain.

Well I will be passing through LA on my way to Tucson this weekend so I'll be sure to bring some vintage UK precipitation with me just for you [Wink] [thumbsup]

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 09:14 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick, stop by in the Dallas area with that rain for a couple of days! Please !!! [Confused]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-12-2005 11:46 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from making the rain blow off your windsheild, Rain-X also makes bugs, sap, and such stuff much easier to clean off. So even in areas where it doesn't rain much, if you do any highway driving it's a good thing to have.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-12-2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ice and snow doesn't stick as much, either. It's a lot easier scraping the ice from your windshield in the winter.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2005 03:25 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

Sorry not his time but I have to get out to Dallas and Austin sometime. Hope you can hold on until then

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: