Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Getting the booth today

Author Topic: Getting the booth today
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 10:02 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so excited...the days of running out of the garage are over. Yesterday I purchases a 10x10 shed to use as my booth. This week we will be constructing the booth, and then over the fall i'll be doing all of the electrical, isulation, sound system work. This is my new booth until I graduate college :-). Anyone have any thing I should keep in mind while building the booth?

Thanks,
Cody

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 10:59 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES-- control the atmosphere wheather it be an air conditioner,
dehumidifier, or whatever, to keep everything from rusting.
John P. can make good reccomendations in this area. [Wink] Good
luck on your project!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-02-2005 11:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be a "kill-joy" on such an exciting project as your own home cinema, (and congratulations on such a project..) but a 10x10 room is a little dangerous, especially if you're doing stereo with surrounds and all.

Should never have a room that can be divided completely by itself in size. If you could do some adjustments to get the room "unsquare" your sound problems will erase.

You'll have sound reflection problems and dead spaces with waves cancelling each other out when they bounce around and hit each other head on.

Good luck, one again. - Monte

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2005 02:46 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will it be Adamesque, Atmospheric, Thematic, or Movie-Theatre Deco?
Movie-Theatre-Deco is least expensive, but requires a much more completely-thought-out & unified design.

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2005 07:18 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for everyones posts.

Monte-

I will be building a 10x10 booth. I do screening outside so the sound will not actually be in this building.

William-

I'm not sure i'm a theme for the booth yet. I was thinking about finding an old intermission frame and having that painted on one end of the building, but am not sure yet.

Well, yesterday we got the frame up, 2 parts of the ceiling and the back wall. Hopefully we can complete it wednesday and thursday :-)..woohoo.hehe.

Cody

P.S. I am planning on buying some old equipment from the nonprofit theatre i work at. They have some old Altec Voice of the Theatre equipment that still sounds great, and a crapload of old seats.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 12:57 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see - the building will house only the projector, the screen & seating will be outside.

Shoot, I was hoping for a movie-theatre-deco/industrial auditorium theme.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-04-2005 06:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the dehumidifier!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-05-2005 10:03 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best conditions for film handling are between 50 and 60 percent RH. Too dry (below about 30%RH), the film can have excessive curl and is more prone to static. Too damp (above about 70% RH) and the gelatin emulsion gets softer and more likely to be abraded, metals rust or corrode, and some electronic gear can be adversely affected.

Temperature is not critical. Between 20 and 25 Celsius is comfortable for most people, and cool enough for most electronic gear.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: