Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Transfering VHS to 35mm/70mm? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Transfering VHS to 35mm/70mm?
Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 04:59 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naturally, I know the answer to this question, but I was just curious how much it would cost to have a video transfered to 35mm or 70mm for personal viewing?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-02-2005 05:28 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once I had an episode of Wheel of Fortune I taped on VHS in EP transferred to 70mm for personal veiwing. They forgot to take out the commercials like I told them to! Made me mad. But come to find it looked even worse on 70mm than on VHS due to the missing fields and frames. Detail was lost. 70mm film running at 24 frames per second simply is not in the least bit capable of retaining ALL of the visual data that is on a VHS tape, which has 60 different pictures per second.

That'll be the last time I spend $15,000 on an episode of Wheel of Fortune, I tell you!

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 05:44 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] My word, 15,000$ on one half hour episode of Wheel of Fortune. I wonder Vanna White got a cut of that?

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 08:19 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

You should have used 30-fps original Todd-AO format for that. You do have access to a good set of AA-II's, don't you?

Vanna is VHS/EP would be just AMAZING!

O/T here...have you ever heard of the Merv Griffin BIG HEAD theory? Merv is supposed to believe that people with big heads look best on tv. Both Pat and Vanna were selected with that in mind.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-02-2005 09:35 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Figure $100-400/minute for the negative, depending on the equipment used and quality of the final product (you get what you pay for). You will also need a soundtrack negative and then will need to have a 35mm print made in order to show the result. You could also have the 35mm negative blown up to 70mm, but I can't imagine why you would want to do this (the 1.33:1 image inside the 70mm frame wouldn't be much larger than it is on a 35mm frame, and there wouldn't be any resolution improvement given a video source).

Tape->film never really looks good (even high-def tape looks soft), but can be useful for including archive material in a longer film. Otherwise, it is usually more cost-effective to shoot film from the beginning than it is to shoot tape and transfer to film.

I am currently working on a short film and briefly looked into the costs for shooting on video. The camera rental is fairly expensive (assuming Beta SP or Digi-Beta or similar professioanl format), and the editing equipment is also mega-expensive to rent. I found it to be cheaper to shoot 16mm and have a blowup made later. The end result will look much better, too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-03-2005 11:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you had a set-up for doing this in your basement Joe.....

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-04-2005 12:13 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
You should have used 30-fps original Todd-AO format for that.
SHIT!!!!!!!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-05-2005 10:36 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much depends on the way you have the video transferred to film. Simple CRT (kinescope) recording is the least expensive. High end CRT recorders (e.g., triniscope) like the Celco or Solitaire are more expensive. Laser recorders (e.g., Kodak Lightning, ArriLaser) are the most expensive.

http://www.celco.com/Technology.asp

quote:
Never before has a film recorder been capable of achieving images of the highest quality at an incredible speed of one second per frame, making CELCO’s new FURY the fastest film recorder on earth. This changes the rules for imaging facilities allowing massive digital film productivity. The FURY dramatically reduces the cost per frame, enabling a new era where all films will have a digital master negative.

http://www.cinesite.com/?1231&0&2421

quote:
The Lightning recorder's technology is unique in that it uses red, green and blue lasers to expose negative film. The three lasers write directly to each color layer of the intermediate stock. This combination produces images of unparalleled sharpness and color saturation. The system's 10 bit (per color per pixel) log space retains all the film's enormous density range, while the lasers' extremely wide dynamic range ensures that the quality of the new negative is absolutely optimised

http://www.arri.com/prod/digital/arrilaser/index.php

quote:
The ARRILASER bridges the gap between digital film production and analog film projection.
It is the first cine film recorder to use three solid state lasers as light source, setting a new standard in productivity and reliability, significantly reducing the cost of recording digital images onto film.

For VHS video quality, a simple kinescope recording is probably more than adequate.

[ 10-05-2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: John Pytlak ]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-05-2005 11:19 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the upcoming DVD release of "The Concert for Bangladesh" (1972) from Warner Music, there is a featurette that talks about how they transfered the original 16mm concert footage to 70MM for theatrical release. Warner Music has cleaned up and restored the concert, it looks & sounds great.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-05-2005 01:52 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
In the upcoming DVD release of "The Concert for Bangladesh" (1972) from Warner Music, there is a featurette that talks about how they transfered the original 16mm concert footage to 70MM for theatrical release. Warner Music has cleaned up and restored the concert, it looks & sounds great.

Shows the kind of quality even 16mm camera film could produce decades ago. And today's Kodak VISION2 Color Negative films are so much better! [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-05-2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "cartridges" that go in my coworker's 8mm film camera seem to produce some craptastic results. Can't remember the make of the camera or the film.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-05-2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably that crappy Ektachrome E160 stock.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 03:41 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Monty Python at the Hollywood Bowl filmed on tape & transferred to 35mm?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-2005 04:44 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filmed on tape?

Don't most movie directors still videotape their movies on film these days?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-06-2005 05:40 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kodak VISION2 Color Negative Films (200T 7217 and 500T 7218) offer excellent image quality in the Super-8 format. Two B&W reversal films and Ektachrome 64T are also available in the Super-8 format.

The E-160 and VNF films were old technologies, and quite grainy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: