Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » A lot of film goodies found in our booth

Author Topic: A lot of film goodies found in our booth
Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2005 02:37 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since transferring to Cinema 5 in downtown State College (Originally a changeover twin c. 1967), we've found a lot of old goodies on old 2000 foot reels and in old drawers. Some include ad for 1973 Oscars, old PA governor campaign ad, entire 7th reel of Prizzi's Honor (maybe more on other reels), old "Associated Theatres" and "Cinema Theatres" headers, and a Swiss Miss box from 1972 that was unopened. Still looking for more exciting finds around hear.

We also have two lenses that seem to have adjustable anamorphics in them (controlled by a knob on the top). Any idea what these were for? I'm not sure of the name, I'll check and post that later. It seems as though they were designed to aim the picture left or right.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-01-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know how the Swiss Miss tastess!

Mark

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jarryd,

The adjustable anamorphics are probably prismatic units from the early 1950's, which were made before the Cinemascope 2x squeeze was standardised. Squeeze ratios from about 1.37 upwards were mooted. Their names include Panavision Panatar, Superscope, Kalee Varamorph, Hi-lux Val. Some (eg Super Panatar) provided adjustment from zero squeeze upwards. There is usually a sideways displacement of the projected image, but not much of a diagonal. Have a look at the Panatar manual in the warehouse.

Cheers.
Phil.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: