Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What does your child's name say about him/her? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What does your child's name say about him/her?
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-23-2005 09:10 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not much in my case, given that I don't have any; but a friend sent me a link to this forum thread in which schoolteachers admit that they draw conclusions about their pupils based on their names, before even meeting them.

Some comments:

quote: here
"Kayleighs have always been a pain, and have never met a Poppy who was not hyperactive or not very bright."

"I have never met a Chloe that didn't have a nasty, spiteful streak. Jordan is usually pretty bad for a girl and Kyle always spells trouble!"

"...names that inspire dread for me are Ashley, Ryan, Daemon & Troy for boys and Leanne, Kayleigh, Stacey and Lou-Lou for girls."

"Josh by a wide mile. Always an arrogant, nasty, selfish git."

"Liam; always a bad lad."

"Just you wait - the Chardonnays will start coming through soon."

"In my last school the nightmare girls had unexpetedly traditional names - Katherine, Stephanie etc, as well as an utter horror called Sabrina."

"Worst children were called Sasha and William. Spoilt nasty little gits."

"I have a Jake who is indeed 'satans spawn!'" [sic - the fact that a teacher is writing this and [s]he can't even use the possessive apostrophe is a bit worrying, IMHO]

"Do any of you teach any Kylies? All the Kylie's that i know are really nasty..." [ditto]

"My Katie is 3 going on 30 and a mardy madam with a naughty streak a mile wide -also bright wich makes it worse."

"charlottes tend to be okay, unles their abbreviated form is "charlie". then they generally prove to be a nightmare"

"Ryan on the other hand, and Kiefer... urgh!"

"Student names that fill me with dread:
Boys - Scott, Reece, Josh, Ryan, Liam, Jack, Tom
Girls - Kimberley, Shenice (and any other name ending in 'ice'), Jade "

"My daughter had a girl called Heaven-Leigh in her class last year. Each to their own I guess. She seems nice enough but have noticed that she is very good at bending the truth, telling stories which aren't true. I find for a 5 year old thats a bit worrying."

"Taking the article in the Mirror seriously for a second ....... we could be causing thousands of children to feel stigmatised and bullied. Oh, hang on a minute - you give your child a name like Tiffany-Jo-Jo and expect them not to feel STIGMATISED AND BULLIED!!"

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-23-2005 12:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kids who have their names spelled weirdly, or who have strange names, are always trouble. I think it's because they go around in a constant state of irritation at having to spell or explain their name for everyone they meet. You should give your kid an accepted name, not a new "made-up" name, and spell the name in a way that's considered "normal" for where you live.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-23-2005 12:27 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a black woman named Sarah on a talk show last week say that she legally changed her name -- from something like "Shaniquiriamoobambo.." -- to a name that, as she said, "means something". She had grown up bitter towards her parents for giving her a silly, made up name.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are expecting our first child. Matthew if its a boy and Hannah if its a girl. Those are fairly standard choices not many people will butcher I hope. The names given to most kids since the late 80's are just plain dumb. You know . . . names like Connor, Jordan, Cormick, Asshole . . . sorry about that. [Big Grin]

I once read someplace that when you name your children avoid using accent marks or hyphens when reporting the new births to the Social Security bureaucracy. If a child's social security card contains such marks and they grow up not using them on official documents, they may not be eligible to collect a social security check for whatever reason until new paperwork is filed and card issued. The article was geared mainly towards black parents.

As a teacher, most kids I've met are idiots regardless of their name.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-23-2005 02:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This website SAYS IT ALL.

Baby's Named A Bad, Bad, Thing!

Be sure to read it ALL. Lots of laughter and WTF's here!

-Aaron

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-23-2005 03:46 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
As a teacher, most kids I've met are idiots regardless of their name
Most teachers I've met are idiots regardless of their name. Like kids, though, there are some that are pretty smart.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-23-2005 05:21 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well put Daryl. In general, I've met many more smart, honest, and down-to-earth kids than teachers...including college.

I can think of a handful of "great" teachers I had when growing up... and several my kids had that were true inspirations and genuinely took an interest in their job and the kids.

It seems the majority of the public school teachers (at least in Michigan and Cali) just want to hold on to their phony-bologna jobs EVEN though they are crappy teachers and unqualified to teach and set good examples to the youngins'.

On the subject of kid's names, I was reading somewhere recently (Time, Newsweek?) that parents who name their kids with offbeat, weird, or unusual, or "non-American" [white] sounding names are actually shortchanging their kids for life.

It seems that after all these years, there still is a big portion of people of ALL colors that prejudge based on a name and those kids have less of a chance for a good education, a good job, and therefore the "good" life. So, when yous fill out that resume, use a "white" name. [Razz] [Frown]

I thought that very interesting and food for thought.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2005 06:04 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Related artical from Scotsman Newspaper. Different regions will have different 'problem names'

quote:
CHILDREN with unfortunate names have long been the victims of playground taunts.

However, it seems the "give a kid a bad name" phenomenon is equally rife in the staff room after teachers admitted they use the class register to predict pupils' behaviour.

Topping the list of troublemakers are Jordan, Kyle, Ashley, Jade, Kayleigh and Chelsea. Any child with a surname or a place name as their Christian name is also likely to be identified as a problem pupil.

The revelation that teachers are putting black marks by pupils' names even before they meet them, comes in an internet forum on behaviour on the Times Educational Supplement website. One teacher, using the name "heather220", writes: "Isn't it funny how we all have similar names that send a shiver down our spine when we read over the register for the first time?"

Children named Jordan are described by teachers as: "a definite no-no"; "a really psychotic kid"; and "uh-oh, sneaky and dangerous". The name Kyle provoked responses such as: "usually spawn of the devil" and "someone lock him up". As for Ashleys, they were declared: "worse than evil" and "no words to describe the terror".

The deep aversion teachers feel towards certain pupils is even affecting the names they give their own offspring. One Scottish teacher said: "It's amazing how restricted your choice becomes because so many names bring horrible visions into your mind. Will never call a child John-David or Angus."

Some teachers have even categorised the most disturbing names into groups. "Octagon" wrote: "I've always found students with surnames as Christian names eg Spencer, Cameron, Mitchell, Harrison and Taylor are all awful."

Another cautioned: "Avoid any child whose name is shared with a place: Jordan, Chelsea, Georgia etc."

Andrew Mellor, the manager of the Scottish Schools Ethos Network at Edinburgh University, said such debates should not be taken too seriously. "This kind of thing is part of teachers' mythology. There may be an element of class snobbery, but teachers are just having fun with names."

But psychologists said names could sometimes be an indication of behaviour. Dr Cynthia McVey, a psychologist at Glasgow Caledonian University, said there were two possible explanations why children with the same name were perceived to behave in similar ways.

"If a teacher gets an idea that children with certain names behave in a certain way, they will look for behaviour that reinforces their beliefs. However, it could be that different types of people are attracted to certain names for their children and then encourage their children in behaviour that is not considered positive by teachers."

If Dr McVey is right and names can be an indication of a person's behaviour, then anyone planning to name their daughter Shannon might be wise to reconsider. One posting by a teacher using the name "rowen" read: "Any verdicts on Shannons? I'm afraid to say my view is future hooker."

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 12:14 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My legal name is Will,not Willie, William, Wilburforce, etc, etc, etc!

Anyhow, this was a very big problem for me growing up. As a kid many of an adult would argue with me about my name, insisting that it could in no way be just Will. And several times I would either just ignore people, which would then piss them off because in their eyes I was being a spoiled brat, or I would look at them and ask if their name was "fuckhead", "shit fer brains" or the like. Of course they would be shocked and offended...so I would tell them to either get my name right or I would continue to fuck with their names!

A memorible incident for me was when I formally enlisted into the USAF. To make a long story short, a Marine was completing my formal contract and tried to mess with a few things, including my name. It took him some time to complete the typing, and of course there were many other enlistees in line behind me. No problem. I tore the contract up in front of the Marines face and told him to retype it corectly. Of course the Marine was PO'ed and tried to chew my ass. But I told him to shut the fuck up, as I had not formally enlisted and could go home if I so pleased. He retyped the contract.

Olivia Coleman
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 02:20 AM      Profile for Olivia Coleman   Author's Homepage   Email Olivia Coleman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had kids tease me because of how uncommon my name was growing up. Never had teachers dislike me, though. I think I'm on the ok side of the spectrum! [Razz] (Though, when I started going by a nickname so many teachers misspelled it constantly. Lyvvy, sounds like Livvie... All thoughout high school there was one teacher who could never get it right. I didn't care too much since it's just a nickname!) [Wink]

I'm expecting my first child in Feb. We have discussed such names as Anna Marie and Cole Angel. I think those are in the ok area from what I read so far. (We don't find out the sex of the baby till the second week of Oct.) [Wink]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-24-2005 09:50 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then there are initials. In an episode of M.A.S.H., B.J. explained that his parents had given him initials as a name because they couldn't decide on a name. When he was inducted into the Army there was no official provision in the paper work for that. So some clerk, in order to avoid confusion had noted his name as B.(only) J.(only) hoping to prevent problems. Later papers from the military had his name as Bonly Jonly Hunnicutt. You know it has to have happened to somebody in real life too.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 11:10 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if that episode had any historical connections with the "S" in Harry S. Truman who was President during the Korean War. When Truman was born, his parents could not settle on a middle name so they just left it as "S".

quote: Phil Hill
It seems the majority of the public school teachers (at least in Michigan and Cali) just want to hold on to their phony-bologna jobs EVEN though they are crappy teachers and unqualified to teach and set good examples to the youngins'.
Agreed. As is the case in any profession there is always a few that spoil it for the rest. I think the reason as to why many wash out of teaching is because you are asking an adult to reason like a kid for 30+ years. Very few can pull off the transition between the two worlds. Mix in the assholes only interested in sports and the snobs who compare every kid they ever have to the one student that made it to the top and you get the picture.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-24-2005 12:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a childs name speaks volumes about the parents.

Some douchebag who is willing to force his offspring to go through live with a name like "Appolonia" has GOT to be a stupid fuck! It is the kids who have to live in the aftermath of the parent's stupid decision.

Any affect in the child's behavior is partially due to, as others said, frustration in growing up with a freaky name. However, the overriding cause of shitty behavior is poor upbringing in the first place.

If a parent is stupid enough to give a child a fucked up name they are probably not smart enough to raise a child correctly int he first place.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2005 12:22 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing an episode on 20/20 ( not sure of the exact show) where they were discussing the repercussions of names in the job field. They took a African American lady and gave her a typical AA name and sent her out to get a job. They had her call a list of job offerings listed in the local paper. When calling shortly after giving her name she was told the job had been filled. They then gave her a typical Caucasian name to use and had her call back the same listings within minutes and she received an invitation for and interview by almost all of those who previously told her the job had been filled.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-24-2005 12:24 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the parents who give their children conventional names spelt in weird ways that seriously have something to answer for (e.g. Chevaughn or K'Tee - I've not making those up).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: